Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Carolina Beach, NC

We’re going to be in Carolina Beach this summer during the latter part of June. Is anyone familiar with the area? Any campgrounds in close proximity? The ones on RV Park Reviews are not rated well and as we won’t be boondocking, the state park is out. Pickings sure seem slim...
Appreciate any suggestions.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
There aren't very many campgrounds in that area. I always have stayed at the Carolina Beach State Park. Are you locked into Carolina Beach or? Myrtle Beach has a lot more choice in campgrounds. KOA Wilmington is probably your best bet.

FWIW we go to Kure Beach 4-5 times a year now, but typically stay in a cottage.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
There aren't very many campgrounds in that area. I always have stayed at the Carolina Beach State Park. Are you locked into Carolina Beach or? Myrtle Beach has a lot more choice in campgrounds. KOA Wilmington is probably your best bet.

FWIW we go to Kure Beach 4-5 times a year now, but typically stay in a cottage.

Aaron
KOA was about all that we saw that looked decent around there but hadn’t looked into Myrtle Beach - will do. Thanks!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I have not camped at Carolina Beach in many years. I did camp there often back in my single man/working days when I had time to go fishing. The campgrounds were not very good, just tolerable. The people that camped there while I did were mostly interested in fishing, like me, not so much the camping facilities. There were four campgrounds back then, but I do not know if they all are still there. The state park is one. The second was small private one, with maybe 6 or 8 spaces and half of those were permanent ratty trailers, across the highway from the downtown boat dock. I doubt it is still there and I would not recommend you stay there if it is! The other two were on the right, just off the island before you cross the Snows Cut Bridge coming onto the island where River Road turns west off of US Highway 421. Carolina Beach Campground and the other that I cannot remember the name were ok back in those days. The well water in both of those campgrounds smells like rotten eggs. They have basic hookups and below average facilities. There was no paving and the campsites have sandy soil with a little grass.

Hope you have time to fish while you are there! Sometimes it's great! A state record flounder 20 lb+/- was caught under the Snows Cut Bridge. An older gentleman caught it on a cane pole. I'm not sure if that record still stands.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
There is a Holiday Travel Park in Emerald Isle, NC that is nice and right on the beach. The website is Holiday Trav-L-Park

We spent a week there last summer and really enjoyed it.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Emerald Isle is a long haul from Carolina Beach. You will want the KOA in Wilmington if you want to be close.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Tryon , North Carolina
There is Winners Trailer Park, which is essentially right "downtown" in Carolina Beach. Small and pretty clean. I am not sure of the hookups that are available. It is a popular place and if you wish to stay there, I highly recommend reservations. At last I checked i thought there rates were pretty high, but they are in a high demand area in the summer. Give them a call, I apologize that I do not have their number. Good luck and I hope this helps!
69Silvrbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Here is the link to Winner's I have seen it but did not realize it was a campground, I always figured it was semi--permanent like a seasonal park. It has always been full when I have gone past.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Here is the link to Winner's I have seen it but did not realize it was a campground, I always figured it was semi--permanent like a seasonal park. It has always been full when I have gone past.

Aaron
wow - 21 spaces! no wonder it's always full.

Paula
Old 01-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Glad to see it has been cleaned up! Those old ratty trailers with junk all around have been removed. It looks descent now!

For those of you who have not been to CB before, there are several things to do in the area. Some of my favorites: Surf fishing on the north end of the island where 4WD is still allowed on the beach, the NC aquarium, Fort Fisher, Carolina Beach State Park (carnivorous plants), old Brunswick Town(settlement in the 1600's), the ferry across the mouth of the Cape Fear, Southport, historic Wilmington, USS NC Battleship, and Bald Head Island light house are just a few.