Old 03-05-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
Airstreamin' in Canada
1973 27' Overlander
Waterdown , Ontario
Carmel CA sites

Any sites you can recommend near Carmel (or Monterrey)?

mlang905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Western , Oregon
Moss Landing

We stayed in a nice private park at Moss Landing, just north of Monterey. It was clean, quiet, and close to everything. Did the 17 mile drive and saw the Monarch butterfly overwintering area in Carmel. Had lunch at Pebble Beach and walked the galleries in Carmel. It was a good place to launch our search of the area.

Jim & Cheryl

2005 28' CCD

2013 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4, 6.5' bed, 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.73 rear axle, Max Tow Pkg
Equalizer hitch
Honda 3000 genset
WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Not many choices...

There aren't a whole lot of choices, but here they are...

1. Moss Landing RV Park, as noted above.. Commercial park, near Moss Landing Marina, roughly 20 miles from Monterey Peninsula.. Small sites, much concrete, but pleasant.. Fishing, antiquing and restaurants within walking distance.

2. Marina Dunes RV Park near ocean in Marina, north of Monterey.. Expensive ($60/night or more..) with limited amenities, but close to CSU Monterey Bay, and roughly 8 miles from Monterey.. Can walk to beach with many Hang Gliders...

3. Monterey County Park at Laguna Seca is cheap, and offers electric and water hookups next to race track. ( Calendar of Events )
Located 5 or 6 miles east of Monterey off Hwy 68 between Monterey and Salinas. They do have dump station, and usually have spaces unless a car or motorcycle race is going on...

4. There is RV park along Carmel River, but reports here rate it as small and cramped spaces, with owner who can be "difficult" and a number of full-timers... Also expensive..

There are a couple Campgrounds in Big Sur area 45 minutes south of Carmel, but those are on Hwy 1 and the drive down or back is close to an hour each way.. You won't be able to take trailer through 17 Mile Drive, and wouldn't want to take trailer through Carmel or downtown Monterey... Laguna Seca would probably be my recommendation, with either Moss Landing or Marina Dunes second...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
...There are a couple Campgrounds in Big Sur area 45 minutes south of Carmel, but those are on Hwy 1 and the drive down or back is close to an hour each way.. You won't be able to take trailer through 17 Mile Drive, and wouldn't want to take trailer through Carmel or downtown Monterey... Laguna Seca would probably be my recommendation, with either Moss Landing or Marina Dunes second...
Yes, but you'd be in Big Sur and that would make up for it! Pfeifer Big Sur State Park has sites right along the Big Sur river and it is at most a half hour from downtown Carmel, which is no farther than Moss Landing; and there are several private campgrounds in the town of Big Sur (if you can call it that), look like they are right on the river too, but I haven't toured them. The place I would want to stay, however, is Limekiln SP. Now that IS really far from Carmel, definitely an hours drive, but oh what a drive! You can see the ocean from the bluff your campsite is on. I'm kinda jealous that it will be many years before I'm ever in the neck of the woods with my Airstream.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Hello: Just to chime in here, under no circumstances stay at Carmel RV Park. Small is an understatement, and it is a small one lane road getting in and out, so best hope you don't meet anyone, if you have your trailer in tow. We stayed at Marina Dunes, and yes it is expensive. Stayed there because of proximity to Carmel, and of course we did the whole Carmel gallery gig, and Monterey. Big Sur, Pfiffer, is doable but during the summer probably a no go. I would not drive my 28 foot Safari on that Big Sur Highway much further than Pfeiffer, coming in from the North. Approaching from the South is not an option with my trailer, but just my opinion. I have been on that road too many times with rocks, etc.

Enjoy, Robert and Sherry
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Your 27' A/S will limit some of the places you can stay. Lime kiln is out due to length limits - 15' trailers and 24' campers/MoHos. I'm not sure about Big Sur CGs. I would not recommend most of HWY 1 with your trailer.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
I think all the previous posts summarize my home area for camping. This area caters to those that will pay bed tax.
If you don't need full hookups, you maybe able to squeeze into the city of Monterey's hidden campground. Here's a link to this neat spot: (they say 21 ft. max, I've seen larger, as I work for this fine city)City of Monterey - Recreation & Community Services Veteran's Memorial Park - Camping/Picnicing in Monterey
If I had more room in the driveway, I'd be on the courtesy parking list.
Good luck, Jeff
AIR: 649
TAC: CA-40
Northern California Airstreamers
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Sacramento , California
Check the state parks

I'd also check the state parks, like Sunset Beach, Manressa, and a few others just north of Moss Landing. I've stayed at a few when I came down to dive. Sunset Beach is off Highway 1, right on the beach, and a quick drive down to Monterey / Carmel. I don't recall if there are hookups there or not. I'm pretty sure they could accomodate a 27'.
Tony and Gale
1978 31' Sovereign International
kramynot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:41 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
Bend , Oregon
Moss Landing

This is a fairly nice park so far a amenities are concerned but the people that run it have zero customer service abilities and have absolutly no concern for the the people who stay with them. Find another place to stay if you can.
jfowler218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:48 AM   #10
1968 17' Caravel
Virginia City , Nevada
Carmel RV

Counter to reports about the Carmel River RV? Another opinion? Stayed there Feb 07. Yes, the road is narrow one way access, including a one way bridge. Turn off about six or less miles down a good country blvd-road from the highway between Montery and Carmel Valley. And once in the park, backing into the spaces can be a tight one. However the sites (we were spaces backed up to the river) are wide enough to park a tow vehicle along side and/or in front. Tall hedges visually separate the spaces. Management was very friendly and not at all "difficult." Son of the manager helped an older couple back their rig into the space. This is an older, even vintage "mom-pop" operation, office and other permanent buildings appear to be built on over the years- without building inspector oversight? Thirty three spaces, only a few were open or vacant. $53 a night, they do not take credit cards. Shower room older but I found it clean and practical. Access to showers was by code key lock. Some long term residents- probably constructor workers- were parked up near the road and made some noise when leaving early in the morning. My son had a 27 ft Jayco and I had my 68 17' Caraval. He stayed on another week. Both of us would return again.

edwmart is offline   Reply With Quote