Old 05-03-2016, 05:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Most caravans do use the CB some. Just go to a truck stop and buy one. Get one in the mid price range. I use a fiberglas antenna mounted on the good edge of the front fender. Rarely transmit. But good to hear directions, etc. When not on caravan we take it out. One disadvantage on not geing wireed in is that it changes to channel 9 every time it is restarted.

Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:26 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2012 30' International
Cape Coral , Florida
We went on the 2014 WBCCI Alyeska caravan. You will have the same leaders in 2016, JJ and Sandy. The CB is primarily to assist and facilitate the arrival and parking of people as they arrive at the campgrounds with a first call to the parking team from about 2 miles out. People mostly travelled between stops in groups of two or three and as everyone was on the same route you always saw others stopped or had others pass along the way and often people would a little. We know we would unlikely use a CB after the caravan on a regular basis so we bought a handheld Cobra and magnetic mounted roof antenna which, for the most part served the purpose completely. The handheld unit was useful when working as a parker, (which you will do) to communicate with the team to place arrivals in their spots. You will not do this from the comfort of your truck.

Martin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Galaxy DX 959

Love the ole' 'silly band' CB radio. I have two I use consistently. I have a Galaxy DX 959 with the Single side band. You can talk a long ways with with the SSB. It's a 'horse' !
Then if you want a good basic CB that will not cost you an arm and leg, Uniden Pro 510 , it is small, has good modulation, and reliable. You can buy these radios at Amazon if you like.

Best thing is, I don't have 'spark plugs' so noise is minimal. That's why they only have diesels at the National Radio astronomy observatory, in Green Bank. ( or at least they use to only have diesel vehicles allowed on the campus). They don't interfere with radio telescopes, but I digress.

I have Velcro on the radio, stick it to the middle seat, run the antenna wire under the seat and rear floor mat, out the bottom of the rear door; underneath the truck and come up between the cab and bed and I use Wilson 'Little Wil' magnet mount antenna, or an Astatic magnet mount on the roof the truck. Great SWR readings and you can talk for miles. ( and I don't use linear amp). I remove the antenna at the campground if I like, and especially if I go into city for an evening. Very easy to remove and throw in back seat.

DW doesn't like trash talkin truckers and I don't either, so I generally turn up the squelch if it gets bad. But I like to listen and especially if there is a backup on the 'superslab' .
I have a older Cobra 25 GTL that is a good old radio. Also have a 23 channel Midland in my office somewhere, awesome radio !
I have a cheapie Radio shack TRC-444 that isn't to bad, modulation is not as high. It's no Midland or Galaxy, that's for sure !
Main thing is to get a good antenna. A good antenna will help a ten dollar radio. a ten dollar antenna will burn up a $400 dollar radio in a new york minute.
I like the Wilson 'Little Wil' mag mounts. Small compact for a antenna. Like
$45 at Loves. You can get the big Wilson or K40, they have good reputations and handles lots of power. I have two Astatic antennas and they have been super awesome. Low swr you can talk all day on them.

Hope that helps,
Have a good one!

Ra, Chelle & Natasha
For my next trick, I will use my new Airstream & Dodge Ram 2500 CTD to make this pile of money disappear.
Tyvekcat is offline   Reply With Quote