Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Smile Cape Cod

Claire and I will be heading north on Friday to Cape Cod. It will be our longest trip since purchasing our FC. Othe trips have been in the 300 mile range. We will be staying at the State's campground at the end of the canal. Looking forward to catching one or two stripe bass, biking the canal and just plain sight seeing on the Cape.

We are planning to take two days to get there and two days back but have not made any decisions as to where to stop over. I am thinking near Mystic Conn.

Our route is pretty simple. Rt 113 to Rt 13 to 95 over the Delaware Memorial bridge to the Jersey Turnpike. Then onto the Garden State Parkway. (I am not a fan of driving over the Washington Bridge into NY). Back onto 95 to Providence and then around Providence to the Canal.

Hope to see you all on the road

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
John,
A couple of ideas for you...
As you seem to be breaking up the trip into a long followed by a short day you may want to consider stoping at one of the following campgrounds; Fisherman's Memorial in the Gallilee/Pt Judith area is a nice stop or perhaps you might be able to find a spot at Ft Getty in Jamestown RI. Ft Getty is mostly seasonal but has one of the nicest views of Narraganset bay that exists! They are also both an hour beyond Mystic and would require a little more work to get to. The other thing that comes to my mind is that the NE Unit of the WBCCI is having a Fall meeting at Charlie Brown Campground in Eastford Ct beginning on Friday. I have never been there but any time I can find other Airstreams near by....
We are members of the unit and have attended two rallies so far, they are a very nice group.
I have no idea if there is any room at any of these places but any might be more interesting than your basic quick stop.....

I assume you are staying at Scusset Beach? THis is one of the first places we visited with our Airstream. Have a great time!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Smile

We've been staying on the Cape (Eastham) for the past two weeks with friends. No AS this trip. There's an RV park, Atlantic Oaks, a short distance from us. We drove through it to check it out, somewhat rustic but almost all sites were pull through. Saw one AS. Except for the one strom this week, the weather, and seafood, have been great. Weather for the coming week looks great, should be a good stay for you. A great white shark has been roaming the sea coast checking out the seals this week. It's was tagged recently, so they can monitor it's location. Very interesting. We haven't rv'ed this area before, but it's definitely on our future list.

AirEgger
AirEgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
John,
A couple of ideas for you...
As you seem to be breaking up the trip into a long followed by a short day you may want to consider stoping at one of the following campgrounds; Fisherman's Memorial in the Gallilee/Pt Judith area is a nice stop or perhaps you might be able to find a spot at Ft Getty in Jamestown RI. Ft Getty
2 good recomendations...Burlingame SP is also in that area and a good choice.
Take RT 24 on your way back from the Cape and then RT138 and RT 1 to get to all of these areas in RI.
Enjoy Scusset...fishing should be great right now...

I live here...if you need any more info just ask.

Bill
Old 09-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Bruce
thanks for the suggestions, not sure if we will travel that far in one day. If we do we will definitily look at both of those facilities.

John
Old 09-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Carver , Massachusetts
I have never camped in Mystic, the prices always seemed just too high, I have instead stayed in Burlingame a few times. Much better prices, and they have a few nice sites with water views in the fish camp part of the campground. I have never stayed in Scusset Beach, only 15 minutes from home so I have usually kept going to Nickerson State Park instead, but have heard nothing but good things about it. Bring your bug spray, EEE and West Nile have been found in a lot more mosquitos than usual in the area this year. You picked one of the best times to go to the cape though, most of the tourists have left for the year, enough of the places you'd want to go are still open, enjoy it.
etobolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
John,

If there is any traffic, avoid the GWB like the plague and take the Tappan Zee bridge. Take 287 S. to 95 then proceed east as planned.

Enjoy the Cape. We always loved September there when DW's parents lived there.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Certifiable

. , .
You might want to consider DEP: Rocky Neck State Park in CT.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
[QUOTE=urnmor;1205068]Our route is pretty simple. Rt 113 to Rt 13 to 95 over the Delaware Memorial bridge to the Jersey Turnpike. Then onto the Garden State Parkway. (I am not a fan of driving over the Washington Bridge into NY). Back onto 95 to Providence and then around Providence to the Canal.

John..... There is a lot of construction affecting traffic to the George Washington Bridge. Take the Garden State Parkway all the way to the end where it merges with the New York State Thruway and take it east over the Tappan Zee Bridge. Then take 287 east until it merges with Rte 95 north. We never stayed at Atlantic Oaks but we did drive through and it looked like a nice spot. Make sure you check out the beaches in the Cape Cod National Seashore and in Wellfleet where you won't need a beach sticker, as your going after Labor Day. Have a good time.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
We will be leaving early tomorrow morning not sure where we will stop over night but I greatly appreciate all of the info on campsites.

One thing I am certain of is that we will avoid the GWB like the plaque.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #11
Totally New No Clue

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We'd love an update when you get a chance! Pretty nice weather so far, I think.
Dorsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Well the week came and went quickly. It was a great vacation. Scusset State Park, which is on the tip of the Cape Cod Canal and MA Bay, is approximately 500 miles from our home in Berlin Md. Based on previous trips to western Md and Pa I expected the trip to take two days, however we made it in one. I am guessing it took only one day because there were no hill and the traffic was light for I 95. Had only one delay for about 15 minutes in Connecticut. Gas in CN is high 4.20 vs 3.78 on the NJP and they clean your windows.

As to the park our site was very nice, hard surface but narrow. It had both water and electric. Depending on the site both can be a distance from the site. I needed all of my 50 foot hose for water, electric was close but that was not the case at all sites. I was told you can get longer extension cords and hoses from the ranger station. A deposit is required but returned when you return the hose.

Open fires are not allowed and there are no fire rings in any of the RV sites. Grills were allowed.

Both the canal which is great for fishing and the beach are within walking distance. There is a bathhouse and a small take out restaurant at the beach.

The campground is very well maintained and the bathhouse was always clean. Pesonel were very nice but follow the rules to the letter for instance we could not enter our site early even though it was empty, nor could we register early even though the office was open.

The dump station might be an inconvenience if you want to leave early as it is open between the hours 8 AM and 3:30 PM.

There are lots of things to do and places to eat. IMO the best breaksfast is the Blueberry muffin restaurant. Prices are reasonable, quanity is to much for one person to eat and the food was good.

We traveled the cape went to our old haunts in Welfleet ate lunch at the bookstore which is across from the beach near the harbor. Great oysters and clams and both are local.
Of couse went to PTown, it has not changed since I went there with my parents as a child, just more tour buses. Great place to walk around. Did not eat there to much of a tourist trap for me.

If you do decide to go to PTown take the back roads especially in Truo. You will go by one room cottages that are famous for their flower names. I am just amazed how they survived being on the beach for more then fifty years.

Also strongly recommend you go to Woods Hole, great little town with a lot to do and see.

Another must see is Chatham where the seals have taken over but did not see any great whites eating them but many of the beaches were closed to swimming or you swam at your own risk because of the shark sightings. One sign I really like was read : Sharks sighted swim close to shore and with friends. I assume the "with friends" is so that if one sees a shark you hope it bites them and not you.

Looking forward to going back next year.

John
Old 10-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
We were in the Wellfleet area a few weeks ago, really enjoyed eating dinner at Pearls on the harbor. Also a good place to enjoy the sun set.

AirEgger
AirEgger is offline   Reply With Quote