Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2016, 09:20 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
Yes, you should certainly do that if you have the time. We were just there in August and set up camp at Baddeck Cabot Trail Campground which was nice and we loved the town of Baddeck. We took a day and drove the entire trail stopping for lunch at the Chowder House - Neil's Harbor. Although Meat Cove is a bit off the path, be sure to go. You wouldn't want to miss the most Northern Tip of NS. I agree with the other posts here, do not do this with your AS. I am sure you could, but would be much less stressful and more enjoyable to not be towing on this drive. We really wanted to go to Newfoundland this trip, but just not enough time. 10 days in NS was not nearly enough, we will go back!
RhondaBartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
We spent 3 mos in the Maritimes last year (July 27 - Oct 15). We left our 25'FC in Inverness and drove CLOCKWISE on the Cabot trail. This way, my wife did not have to be looking down the STEEP cliffs. You can the entire Trail in 1 day. Keep in mind that they lose a couple of minutes of sunlight per day this time of year.
We are returning on or about Oct 1 for the "Celtic Colours Festival" on Cape Breton.
Enjoy
Tan Son Nhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by schafman46 View Post
Hi All, we are currently in Newfoundland & taking "short ferry" back to Sydney, NS on Wed. 9/7.--we came north in Nova Scotia on TCH on east side & thinking of traveling around the entire Cabot trail on way thru the rest of Cape Breton--we would love to hear anyone's adventures ..(both good & bad) if they have done that.
The forum is such a great place to learn & experience other Airstreamer's adventures.--Thank you all in advance !!
We have a 24' FB Flying Cloud.
Leave the trailer at a camp spot off the trail, and just use your TV to tour the Cabot Trail.
There is a very tight left hairpin turn at the top end; at the bottom of a rather long hill.
I was advised about this by a 'local', and was glad of the info. I very much doubt that my 23' Hi-Lo would have made it through.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:21 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
There is a very tight left hairpin turn at the top end; at the bottom of a rather long hill.
I was advised about this by a 'local', and was glad of the info. I very much doubt that my 23' Hi-Lo would have made it through.
Is this it? The switchback at the base of Cape Smokey. Some larger vehicles need to use both lanes to get through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cape_smokey2.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	271071  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:18 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
St. Catharines , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Is this it? The switchback at the base of Cape Smokey. Some larger vehicles need to use both lanes to get through.
BTW that road to the left in the picture is a fun road to explore if you have an adventure bike.
ktmkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:41 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Havertown , Pennsylvania
Cabot Trail --quite the impressive ride!!

Thanks all for the excellent advice , pics & notes. --The forum is such a great place for advice, questions , how to''s & general info!👍. We took the advice & left our 23' FC at Bras'deor ( sp) campsite; "Golden Arm " in North Sydney and travelled clockwise round Cabot trail. ( we actually did the " Bell" the day before!)--& lucky we posted prior. --there was much construction & for about 5 miles, the road was hard packed dirt/ sand ready to be paved ( I imagine late Sept).--yes the drive was beautiful and spectacular sites & a few hairpin turns!!--very glad we only took the TV.--again, thanks all for ur replays--btw, I posted an answer earlier, but in error it went to the administrator...but We are learning!!--Currently in PEI!!--another neat Province!!
schafman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update! We went to PEI twice in the 90's before the bridge, and loved it. Don't forget to swim in the ocean, it is the warmest salt water north of Cape Hatteras NC due to a back-eddy off the Gulf Stream!

Happy Trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote