Old 09-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Canyuonlands NP/ The Maze

Hi fellow streamers,

Thinking about a trip to the Maze in Canyonlands NP, which is a remote and primitive area of the park. It is obvious taking an Airstream into The Maze is well nigh impossible. What I am thinking of is finding a site to park my Airstream as a mothership and using my Ram 4x4 for day tips or an overnight tent camping trip into The Maze. I also have a 34 foot AS and a much lighter 25 AS. Any suggestions on where to set up my AS, If I can take my big AS in and what to do and see?

Thanks,
Marshall

Old 09-28-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Goblin Valley is a great campground and just across the road from the entrance to the Maze. Horseshoe Canyon is a nice hike to see the Great Gallery which is a collection of Native American pictographs. Check with the Hans Flat ranger station about road conditions, what to see, and where you can go with your truck. It's very remote on this side of Canyonlands. Also a great slot canyon up in Wild Horse Canyon just north of the campground.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
2017 Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Just talked to a ranger. It would be possible to leave my Airstream near the ranger station then use my 4x4 p/u to get into The Maze. Sounds like I would be OK on some of the roads with my truck, but some of the roads I would need a Jeep type vehicle. The ranger also recommended Horseshoe Canyon, also Panorama Point and The Maze Overlook.

I think I would take my 25 and not my 34.

Ranger said no dogs allowed, period. Firearms are permitted, but interestingly it is a felony to discharge them.

Would anybody else be interested in a little adventure?
Old 09-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Oak Creek , Arizona
It's about 50 miles of dirt road from the highway to the ranger station and often with a lot of washboard. Tighten the screws on your trailer!

Old 09-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We were just there two weeks ago. A few of the roads were closed. I drive my Ram 1500 offroad, including in the Maze, however I have a mild lift and supporting mods along with proper tires, recovery gear and air down my tires.

I would recommend that you consider doing the White Rim Trail if you want to explore some off road fun in Canyonlands. it's a wonderful area to explore.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
We were just there two weeks ago. A few of the roads were closed. I drive my Ram 1500 offroad, including in the Maze, however I have a mild lift and supporting mods along with proper tires, recovery gear and air down my tires.

I would recommend that you consider doing the White Rim Trail if you want to explore some off road fun in Canyonlands. it's a wonderful area to explore.
BA, 1. Where is the White Rim Trail 2. I have a Ram 2500 about the same length as your 1500. It sits at least as high as yours maybe even a bit higher. No winch but I have a comealong. Highway tires not off road tires. Any other recommendations?
Old 09-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #7
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I actually sit higher than a 4x4 2500. The White Rim Trail is in Canyonlands accessible via the Shafer Trail road: White Rim Road - Canyonlands National Park (U.S. National Park Service) - You'll go to the Island in the Sky district.

The website makes it sound like you have to have a lifted jeep on 40's but the reality is the road is pretty moderate with extraordinary backcountry views of the canyons for at least about 20 miles. My tires are only 35 inchers.

There are side trails that go down to the Colorado and Green rivers, but I would stay off those with Highway tires. Deep sand. But most of the white rim is passable I'd say with even a Michelin LTX.

Just going down the Shafer is loads of fun. You descend 1500ft. That would be the switchbacks down the canyon wall I posted about, and the road heading off into the distance heads out towards the white rim trail.

The white rim is mostly literally on the canyon rim, so it's very solid ground, driving over large sections of rock. Recovery gear probably not really needed unless you went way off path. Worse I'd be on the look out for is puncturing a tire, but that's avoidable with your eyeballs looking for rocks.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
I've driven White Rim in a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder with street tires. It's a cakewalk. A Subaru Outback could do it with only a little scraping. (At least when I drove it, desert topography changes!)
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
These roads good enough for 20" 285/60 AT tires as long as you have 4x4? Ram 2500 CC CTD 4x4 is what I have now.

Kelvin
Old 09-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The lowpoint on my body is the running boards which have 15" clearance.
the tires are Michelin LT 285 70R15. Yes it is a 4x4 with low and high 4wd ranges.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #11
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
You'll be fine on the rim trail. It's a fun trail, bumpy, but not bouncing off the rocks rock crawling. Nothing seriously technical either.

The switchbacks are the only thing that are maybe challenging with a truck. Watched an F250 that had to keep doing two point turns to get back up around each turn. But I suspect he didn't know WTF he was doing. I didn't have any problems. And since Ram used the same body on two different frames, I can't imagine you would either.

I had no problems.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I'll be taking my Excursion out there in 2017. I hope I don't plug up the EGR.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #13
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Oak Creek , Arizona
You need a permit to do the White Rim, for day use and/or overnight stays and they only issue a fixed number per day. The loop is 100 miles and takes 2-3 days unless you don't want to stop and look at anything. Day-Use Permits - Canyonlands National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 09-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #14
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
You need a permit to do the White Rim, for day use and/or overnight stays and they only issue a fixed number per day. The loop is 100 miles and takes 2-3 days unless you don't want to stop and look at anything. Day-Use Permits - Canyonlands National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
But you don't have to drive the whole 100 miles. We've driven sections. There are plenty of permits, so don't be scared off by that. We talked to the ranger, and its mostly so they know who is out there if you are staying over night or disappear and someone calls the park. The permit is free unless camping over night.

And if you just want to drive down the Shaffer and out to the rim for a bit, you don't need a permit.

But I would encourage you talk to the rangers, they're super friendly and can advise you on the conditions.

This is one of our favorite parks. We've been going pretty routinely since 2012.

Cheers.