Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #15
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
I'm not an accountant, but if you are using the truck, trailer, gas, food and incidental travel costs for her business, you could write everything off for business expenses.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
It's not just your Airstream! Other trailers also cut gas milage way down.
The hay day for travel trailers was 25 to 30 years ago, when gas was cheap.
I was at my local TT dealer the other day. He noted that over the last 30 years our area is gone from 13 dealers to only one; his dealership.
As the cost of gas has gone up the number of people with travel trailers has gone down. I no longer find it economical to travel unless I can stay out for a week or more. Overnight trips need to be no more that a few hours from the house or the cost of gas drives the price up to high.
Before we got the trailer we ran the cost of hotel rooms and dinning out. It runs very close until we factored in the cost of our dogs. That broke the budget as most hotles either didn't take them or charged a big fee to let them in.
We also have a secondary use for the trailer. We live near the Gulf Coast and the Airstream is our emergency escape unit. Hotels for hundreds of miles around file up fast but any Walmart will let you stay for a day or two.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
If we owned a 2009 Airstream we couldn't afford to go touring either.

If funds are tight what about selling the big dollar 2009 Airstream and going to a vintage. You will still have and Airstream, it will be lighter weight, and you will have dollars in the bank to fund the trips for many years.

Also, with a vintage Airstream you could consider going to a more fuel efficient TV.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #18
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I can't see the problem. I've always thought everyone who lives in Boulder is rich. That why we ended up in Longmont. We couldn't afford to buy a house in Boulder.

In any case you have to dig deeper into this that what appears on the surface. The major flaws in this logic have already been pointed out. The expense of dining out, the high cost of decent lodging especially near anything that attracts either tourists or business travelers. My wife and I can fly to Seattle (where my roots are) from Denver and stay in a decent hotel and rent a car for about the same amount as towing the trailer there and staying in RV Parks. We also save one day travel each way. However meals bring the cost up, so it is really substantially more. (We don't eat fast food). The trade off is living in a dull hotel room likely in a busy part of town and not being able to bring our toys.

Believe me I have preformed the calculations a number of times. Every once in a while I question the financial aspects of owning the trailer, but after running all the numbers versus the quality of life aspects, the trailer always wins.

Ken
Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Would a new F150 ecoboost get me any farther (new car payment aside)

Does anyone have any insight for tow vehicles in the future that might be more efficient.
I have been reading everything I can get my hands on regarding 1/2 ton trucks mileage and/or new offerings. I can tell you that the ecoboost will not make that much difference if you get 12mpg;however, you can slow down and that should help. The towing people on the F150 forum have been sharing how the ecoboost engine does not like to be lugging along but rather revving along. In other words, they are recommending the 3:55 rear axle over the traditional towing 3:75 and 4:10 to keep it out of the "lugging" during cruising. Otherwise the fuel mileage under boost hurts mpg. I do not own one yet but this comes from several who do. Just an FYI.

In mid to fall 2014 Ford will debut the new F150 which is said to get 3-4 mpg difference than current offerings. We cant verify that yet BUT it is said to be 700+ pounds lighter, have an 8 speed tranny and have a more raked windshield - all things that contribute to better mileage towing or otherwise. Dodge also came out with more gears in the box and it certainly has improved their mileage. So, let's say it is all true and you buy a truck and it gets. 15 or 16 mpg towing, will it make enough difference to alleviate your concern? I can tell you that I took a short trip last week for $20 a night + 8 extra gallons gas round-trip (extra req. to tow @$3.34 gal) total $46.72 plus I ate dinner and breakfast in the camper for a few dollars and took the left over food - bread, eggs, home. The hotel across from the RV show was, with tax, $140 night. Longer stays potentially should have a greater savings depending on where you park and eat.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hard to imagine you could save overall by selling and buying anything.

Make do. The best and only realistic way to save on traveling costs is to reduce speed of travel, unless you are already at 55 mph. Less against the wind and climbing grades. Take off slowly as well, anticipate stopping to reduce braking.

doug k
Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post

In mid to fall 2014 Ford will debut the new F150 which is said to get 3-4 mpg difference than current offerings. We cant verify that yet BUT it is said to be 700+ pounds lighter, have an 8 speed tranny and have a more raked windshield - all things that contribute to better mileage towing or otherwise.
Sounds good if true. I have been slaming pickups for years for being too heavy for what they do, having poor aerodynamics, and poor fuel mileage.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #22
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Hard to imagine you could save overall by selling and buying anything.
I Have proved that many times.

You can save a little on gas and spend a lot on the equipment you use to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Make do. The best and only realistic way to save on traveling costs is to reduce speed of travel, unless you are already at 55 mph. Less against the wind and climbing grades. Take off slowly as well, anticipate stopping to reduce braking.

doug k
Using the MPG guage on our truck, there is about a 2 MPG difference between 50 MPH and 70MPH when towing.

Ken
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Give me an aerodynamic efficient vw and put two motor scooters in the ack with other misc items, oops I guess you need a pickup for that. I do not think your Canadian as dealer can can help with that. A car cannot do a trucks job, ie payload,towing,. Jim
Old 01-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Downhill

My concern is whether your 150 can get you up the hill as when it fails you will just sit there. Medium sized problem. My concern is your truck and trailer combination is marginal going down hill. Very serious problem. People jump up and down about how they can tow with this and that... The only important question is what do you need to stop it when the trailer brakes start to fade. Buy a used diesel for the mountains. The difference will make you cry..... Also put a hangdowny thing on your mirror when towing to remember the trailer is back there....

If you continue to use your truck keep the camera in the front with you so you don't miss any great you tube moments...
Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Our TV is a 2006 F-250. After people ask us if our AS was expensive, , they ask us about our fuel mileage. Depending on who is driving, we get about 16-18 mpg in town. Honestly we get about the same while towing. This could be, perhaps, because I do the majority of the driving while Mr. Leadfoot sleeps in the passenger seat.
After being fairly loyal GM people for years, we really love our Ford.
Fuel is definitely the largest part of our travel budget. We spend about 50 bucks on food for our family of 3, $70-150 for reservations, and at least $200 on fuel for one trip.
We don't shop for souvenirrs much. We take hikes or go geocaching for fun. Cheap and easy fun.
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
my last trip

On my last trip I towed my 34 foot Limited with my 2008 F-350 diesel 1500 miles. I averaged 11.5 miles/gal using the old fashioned method of gallons used by miles driven. Fuel varied and I spent 585.00 for the trip.

Campsites I parked in averaged 39.00 per night and we were gone 30 nights so we spent 1170.00 on camping, so adding up the fuel cost and camping cost we spent 1755.00. If you divide the 1755 by 30 it cost us 58.50 a night for room and fuel.

Even with fuel being high using my truck and trailer is still economical enough for my wife and I to visit this wonderful country of ours...

Regards,

Reganzo
Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #27

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59 View Post
My concern is whether your 150 can get you up the hill as when it fails you will just sit there. Medium sized problem. My concern is your truck and trailer combination is marginal going down hill. Very serious problem. People jump up and down about how they can tow with this and that... The only important question is what do you need to stop it when the trailer brakes start to fade. Buy a used diesel for the mountains. The difference will make you cry..... Also put a hangdowny thing on your mirror when towing to remember the trailer is back there....

If you continue to use your truck keep the camera in the front with you so you don't miss any great you tube moments...
I think there is some confusion here. They are towing a 23' CCD not a 28'. Unless its a V6 they should be in the safe zone for towing. I agree a diesel would greatly improve their up hill towing.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
The towing people on the F150 forum have been sharing how the ecoboost engine does not like to be lugging along but rather revving along. In other words, they are recommending the 3:55 rear axle over the traditional towing 3:75 and 4:10 to keep it out of the "lugging" during cruising. Otherwise the fuel mileage under boost hurts mpg.
What???
3.55 equals lower RPM equals "lugging along"
4.10 equals higher RPM equals "revving along"

Higher RPM equals more boost so that part saving fuel makes some sense.