Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2016, 10:54 PM   #1
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Canadian travel now a bargain

I don't know how many Americans follow the US-Canadian dollar exchange rate, but ever since global oil prices declined, the value of the Canadian dollar has been steadily falling, as well. I just checked our exchange rate, and as of this post one Canadian dollar is worth 72c US. (Put differently, one US dollar buys $1.39 Canadian.) For Americans interested in the Canadian Rockies or other attractions north of the border, just thought I'd mention that this year might be a good time to visit

Canadian gas is still high compared to the US despite the fall in oil prices Average Prices By Province - British Columbia Gas Prices (in liters or roughly 1/4 gallon,) but a lot of other travel expenses should be cheaper for Americans.

There have been several informative threads over the years for travellers to Canada, but just by way of advance planning if you don't have a valid passport now, you will need one.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Darn the secret is out.....lol
If anyone has been thinking about touring Canada or parts of Canada, now would be the time to do it. The exchange rate is as good as it's been in years.....

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-02-2016, 12:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, after our two hour harassment at the Canadian border, I wouldn't go there if it was free.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, after our two hour harassment at the Canadian border, I wouldn't go there if it was free.
Why the harassment? Were you carrying a gun?
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm.....thanks for that information.

Maggie
Old 01-02-2016, 05:35 AM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
NAAWW, Bob was trying to smuggle his sick dog across the border to take advantage of our free universal health care. He couldn't afford the vet in the states.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
NAAWW, Bob was trying to smuggle his sick dog across the border to take advantage of our free universal health care. He couldn't afford the vet in the states.
Cheers
Tony
Tony... luv the tongue and cheek but for those who want to fully understand the system here......

To clear up any misconceptions. Health care for citizens in Canada is not free. We pay for it through tax dollars and we pay a lot of taxes here. Also note, not all health related services are covered.

Vet services to my understanding are not covered under a gov't plan.

L and J... A good post. The US dollar will go a long way up here and many of our southern neighbours are taking advantage of it.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We love traveling in Canada, the boarder, US side sucks, but it seems in Canada everything costs a bit more, but who is counting, beautiful country worth seeing...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
We have never had a problem crossing the border except when flying. When you cross back to the U.S. And they ask you if you are bringing back anything my hubby says 'just wonderful memories'.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #10

Currently Looking...
Tappen , British Columbia
Travelling across any international border now can result in questions from border officials. A Nexus card or passport is required for entry to either Canada or USA.
Weapons are not permitted into Canada which has a much lower homicide rate than USA. Lots of beautiful RV parks, both provincial and private, are available. And, as others have mentioned, the US $ goes further.
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Maybe Bob got profiled? Pony tail, Oregon plates. Oregon is one of the states that has legalized recreational "you know what".

We went into Canada in 2011 from Glacier National Park for a day trip to Waterton Lakes NP.
Didn't have to purchase gas in Canada. $4/gal at St Marys that year. Had lunch in Waterton township, checked out the Prince of Wales hotel and Cameron lake then drove back to Many Glacier.

Watertown Lakes NP to me didn't feel like a national park. It felt more like a national forest. Maybe because of the tiny visitor center, the township with vacation and full time residents and businesses. Not saying it was bad, just different.

Kelvin
Old 01-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I have been to Canada many times as we have our C-130 Heavy Checks done there. Some border guards have bad days just like you and me. I sometimes cross the border for Mexican food. The thing to remember is to just answer the guards questions without a lot of "chit chat" and extra information. I have to be careful and say that I'm there as a company representative not that I'm working in Canada.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Orangeville , Ontario
Hey all, great discussion. I think we can all agree that both sides of the border have endless opportunities for tourists. Every year I cross the border southbound with 50-100 high school students. I teach in an ethnically diverse city and I am usually the only Caucasian on the trip. There are border crossings that I will go out of my way to avoid... We have (more than once) been treated very poorly by border guards who appear to be enjoying their responsibilities thoroughly. On the other hand, there are border crossings that are a treat to cross. It's important to note that everyone crossing on our trips, despite the colour of our skin, are fully Canadian citizens. Why I bring this up is because even when travelling with my own family, I will also avoid the notoriously unfriendly border crossings, often at the expense of adding and hour or two to the drive. I prefer to begin my trip avoiding inevitable negative interactions with the locals of the country I'm visiting. Just like Americans, you shouldn't judge a country, or its people, by the folks protecting its borders. Fellow Airstreamers, Enjoy your cheaper trips to Canada. We're glad to have you.
Gdickison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Last time we crossed back into the US, the US border guard said she wanted to look inside the Airstream, so I handed her the keys. My wife, who always has a hard time with the AS keys because she feels that they work backwards, said, "You better go open it for her." I said, "I'm sure she's opened enough trailers that she knows how to get in." Sure enough, after about 5 minutes of fiddling around with the keys, she came back and asked me if I would please let her in.

Other than the usual minor inconveniences, the borders have never been a problem for us and we have loved visiting Canada. Would imagine there aren't too many Airstreams on the roads up there this time of the year, are there?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I get that some people have had a hassle at the Canadian Border. It is not much different for us crossing to the US. There is great disbelief when response to the question 'how much money are you carrying?" is $500 and they can't accept that we use credit cards and Debit cards like the rest of the world. Having crossed the border for both business and pleasure and many years ago on a weekly basis to purchase gas and groceries, we learned to just answer the questions....politely with no humor or lip, and have a standard line of reasons for crossing the border, and as pointed out above you never want to appear to be doing any business in the US that is not directly related to your Canadian work. Works the same in reverse. I hear many friends say they had a hassle and then discovered it was a line of questioning about Guns or Liquor or where they intended to be visiting. We got the same line of questioning from US immigration officers and have had all of our vegetables taken from us many time crossing to the US for Winter in Texas. We had dog food thrown out many years ago...don't even want to discuss the reasons for that. When we provisioned for return to southern Ontario and found ourselves taking the short route home through MN WI and MI when our travel companions bailed on the return through the route north of Superior. So we declared everything; noted that we realized the fruits and veggies would be confiscated...and the response was..."See that stainless steel table over there. Pull your trailer up there and go rout around in your fridge and find the orange and lemon and leave them in the bowl on the table...then drive away and have a safe trip". Frankly I've had more questionable experiences crossing to the US, than easy ones, but I will continue to go back and did recently even with our Dollar at something close to 1.36 per US greenback. I like travel in the US (with the exception of Florida sorry to say) and I like our Canadian north. They both have lots to offer. The open border is one of the great things about being Canadian or US citizens. We also find Air travel and Cruise ships to be more tightly scrutinized than the land crossings.

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Enhanced drivers license is an option for some

Some states provide an option for an "enhanced" drivers license containing a chip. This is acceptable for car travel into Canada and returning to the US. It cost a few bucks to get it and requires some documentation, but makes it easy for impromptu trips across the border if you live in a border state. My enhanced WA license has worked well on several trips (variously in a car, tv with AS, and riding my Harley) in WA, Ontario, NY, MI, ME, and New Brunswick. I find border crossing far less troublesome and more predictable than dealing with TSA at most US airports. But it is more difficult than when I often rode my bike across the Peace Bridge to Fort Erie, Ontario and back to Buffalo, NY as a 12-year old.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The last time we crossed over from the U.S. to Canada we had to leave our eggs. Guess it was the bird flu. My wife is Canadian and I am American. We new about fresh fruit, but the eggs were a surprise. Had just bought a dozen.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

I was delighted to hear the compliments about Canada from our fellow U.S. North Americans. And I was dismayed to hear that some people had negative experiences. What a shame our border people would be nasty and leave that lasting memory for our visitors. We had great plans to take the AS to Arizona and California this winter but that exchange rate was pretty atrocious so we declined. This green winter we're having is making this winter a little easier than the last two! Maybe the exch rate will even out a bit by next winter. Here's hoping. And BTW just a comment on the person from Ontario about our health care being not free. Of course we pay for it in our taxes and who could grumble about taxes when we have UNIVERSAL care? And from discussions with our American cousins our taxes are not THAT much higher than those paid by them. I had two major surgeries this past year that would have cost tens of thousands in the States and I never took out my cheque book to pay for a single thing except the very small bit extra for a private room which was my treat to myself. Fabulous health care here in Ontario! None better! Anyway, welcome dear American friends to our beautiful country. Thanks you for coming and spending your $$$ here and contributing to our economy.
maryel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post

Hi, my mistake was to cross the sacred white line without permission.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post

Cheers
Tony

Hi, I didn't think of that; We weren't going to have anymore dogs because of the thousands of Dollars in Vet bills we have paid for four previous dogs. Dusty has cost more than any one of them, but he is much older too. (18) Dusty adopted us.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144