Old 01-01-2016, 10:54 PM   #1
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Canadian travel now a bargain

I don't know how many Americans follow the US-Canadian dollar exchange rate, but ever since global oil prices declined, the value of the Canadian dollar has been steadily falling, as well. I just checked our exchange rate, and as of this post one Canadian dollar is worth 72c US. (Put differently, one US dollar buys $1.39 Canadian.) For Americans interested in the Canadian Rockies or other attractions north of the border, just thought I'd mention that this year might be a good time to visit

Canadian gas is still high compared to the US despite the fall in oil prices Average Prices By Province - British Columbia Gas Prices (in liters or roughly 1/4 gallon,) but a lot of other travel expenses should be cheaper for Americans.

There have been several informative threads over the years for travellers to Canada, but just by way of advance planning if you don't have a valid passport now, you will need one.

Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Darn the secret is
If anyone has been thinking about touring Canada or parts of Canada, now would be the time to do it. The exchange rate is as good as it's been in years.....

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Trying to use my camera to create memories - not photographs!

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, after our two hour harassment at the Canadian border, I wouldn't go there if it was free.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:36 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, after our two hour harassment at the Canadian border, I wouldn't go there if it was free.
Why the harassment? Were you carrying a gun?
Marty Womer
Saco, Maine
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:30 AM   #5
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm.....thanks for that information.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:35 AM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
Why the harassment? Were you carrying a gun?
NAAWW, Bob was trying to smuggle his sick dog across the border to take advantage of our free universal health care. He couldn't afford the vet in the states.

Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
NAAWW, Bob was trying to smuggle his sick dog across the border to take advantage of our free universal health care. He couldn't afford the vet in the states.
Tony... luv the tongue and cheek but for those who want to fully understand the system here......

To clear up any misconceptions. Health care for citizens in Canada is not free. We pay for it through tax dollars and we pay a lot of taxes here. Also note, not all health related services are covered.

Vet services to my understanding are not covered under a gov't plan.

L and J... A good post. The US dollar will go a long way up here and many of our southern neighbours are taking advantage of it.
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We love traveling in Canada, the boarder, US side sucks, but it seems in Canada everything costs a bit more, but who is counting, beautiful country worth seeing...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St Paul , MN
We have never had a problem crossing the border except when flying. When you cross back to the U.S. And they ask you if you are bringing back anything my hubby says 'just wonderful memories'.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #10
Currently Looking...
Tappen , British Columbia
Travelling across any international border now can result in questions from border officials. A Nexus card or passport is required for entry to either Canada or USA.
Weapons are not permitted into Canada which has a much lower homicide rate than USA. Lots of beautiful RV parks, both provincial and private, are available. And, as others have mentioned, the US $ goes further.
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Maybe Bob got profiled? Pony tail, Oregon plates. Oregon is one of the states that has legalized recreational "you know what".

We went into Canada in 2011 from Glacier National Park for a day trip to Waterton Lakes NP.
Didn't have to purchase gas in Canada. $4/gal at St Marys that year. Had lunch in Waterton township, checked out the Prince of Wales hotel and Cameron lake then drove back to Many Glacier.

Watertown Lakes NP to me didn't feel like a national park. It felt more like a national forest. Maybe because of the tiny visitor center, the township with vacation and full time residents and businesses. Not saying it was bad, just different.

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I have been to Canada many times as we have our C-130 Heavy Checks done there. Some border guards have bad days just like you and me. I sometimes cross the border for Mexican food. The thing to remember is to just answer the guards questions without a lot of "chit chat" and extra information. I have to be careful and say that I'm there as a company representative not that I'm working in Canada.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member
1969 31' Sovereign
Orangeville , Ontario
Hey all, great discussion. I think we can all agree that both sides of the border have endless opportunities for tourists. Every year I cross the border southbound with 50-100 high school students. I teach in an ethnically diverse city and I am usually the only Caucasian on the trip. There are border crossings that I will go out of my way to avoid... We have (more than once) been treated very poorly by border guards who appear to be enjoying their responsibilities thoroughly. On the other hand, there are border crossings that are a treat to cross. It's important to note that everyone crossing on our trips, despite the colour of our skin, are fully Canadian citizens. Why I bring this up is because even when travelling with my own family, I will also avoid the notoriously unfriendly border crossings, often at the expense of adding and hour or two to the drive. I prefer to begin my trip avoiding inevitable negative interactions with the locals of the country I'm visiting. Just like Americans, you shouldn't judge a country, or its people, by the folks protecting its borders. Fellow Airstreamers, Enjoy your cheaper trips to Canada. We're glad to have you.
Gdickison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Last time we crossed back into the US, the US border guard said she wanted to look inside the Airstream, so I handed her the keys. My wife, who always has a hard time with the AS keys because she feels that they work backwards, said, "You better go open it for her." I said, "I'm sure she's opened enough trailers that she knows how to get in." Sure enough, after about 5 minutes of fiddling around with the keys, she came back and asked me if I would please let her in.

Other than the usual minor inconveniences, the borders have never been a problem for us and we have loved visiting Canada. Would imagine there aren't too many Airstreams on the roads up there this time of the year, are there?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

McDave is offline   Reply With Quote