Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2016, 10:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Maybe Bob got profiled? Pony tail, Oregon plates. Oregon is one of the states that has legalized recreational "you know what".

Kelvin
Hi. My wife thought it was the beard; We have crossed Canadian borders many times; Seven border crossings on our Alaska trip alone. [as someone who spent there entire life as a Californian] But now that I have been an Oregonian for two years, Yes, this place is known for meth heads and pot shops. We don't do that stuff. And, as for the pony tail, I have felt negative feeling from people while I was growing it. That feeling has changed when people found out that I cut it off and donated it to Children With Hair Loss. So maybe I was being profiled?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000501.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	254999   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000502.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	255000  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000504.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	255001   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000514.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	255002  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:28 PM   #22
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Honestly, we researched the Canadian web site and decided not to go over this fall. The primary reason was an item that identified dog food as a possible contamination source which would be confiscated. Our girls eat a special blend that we were concerned would not be available. Not sure how we find a work around. We believe the dogs set this up so they could have chicken and steak. With the exchange rate so good, maybe that will work, but it's going to be a bit stiff convincing them to go back on the dry stuff.

Hope to take some parts of Canada off our "must go there" list in the near future. But you folks have got to turn up the heat just a bit. It's cold up there. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:32 PM   #23
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Wow. What a variety of responses.

Most of the discussion seems to have focussed on border crossings, not on what folks might enjoy doing if they actually got up to Canada. Some comments about the border, with the obvious note that Americans do have to consider the requirements of US customs & immigration on their return.

For both countries:

1. A passport is not only legit form of proof of citizenship/proof of identity but I figured that anyone who crossed the border frequently enough to use one of the others (like the Nexus card) would know about them. Gone are the days when you could get through on the strength of your drivers license and Chucky Cheese card.

2. Current rabies certificate for dogs. The officials seldom ask for them, but can. Dog food is generally classified as meat, so depending what's in it and where it was made, it may or may not be OK. (Hint: you can always buy some once you're across the border.) Nice border guards may offer your dog a biscuit.

3. The lists of fresh produce and meat items that can or cannot be taken across the border changes slightly but frequently. Generally dried & canned goods are fine. No citrus ever going to the US. Bird flu meant no chicken or eggs either way for a while, but on our last trip that ban seems to have been lifted. This list changes somewhat depending upon recent agricultural pests, &c. but it is generally much stricter returning to the US than it is going to Canada. What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products? - Food - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

4. Per person: two bottles of wine, one bottle of liquor, and 24 standard cans or bottles of beer. Not worth trying to bring more as the duty is prohibitive.

5. No campfire wood (due to spread of bark beetle infestation.)

6. Hunters don't have much trouble bringing rifles into Canada provided they declare them using a special written form. But other types of guns are restricted or banned. This does include handguns. Visitors to Canada generally are safe without them.

Agreed that the agents aren't there to chat, and certainly not to put up with any lip. However, once when some US agents in full border patrol regalia asked to see the inside of our AS, they had questions like, "I bet this tows really well."

Generally (but without thinking of any border crossing in particular,) wait times at the smaller crossings tend to go a lot faster than the major ones like Detroit/Windsor and the Seattle/Vancouver corridor. If these really are the logical places to cross, you can find the wait times on local radio or on line and choose your crossing time accordingly. Some of the really small rural crossings are not open 24/7, however, so it's good to check ahead.

Just a word on Waterton Lakes NP, which borders Glacier NP-- it is smaller than Glacier NP, but well worth seeing if you visit Glacier. With both of these parks, there is the more congested "front country" and then the less-visited areas you can drive to, and the roadless "back country." The latter two are most recommended. The CG at Waterton Lakes is at the Waterton townsite. Not the wilderness, but then you might enjoy walking to its restaurants & shops. If you're not a hiker or paddler, there is a commercial boat trip that starts at the Waterton townsite, heads south into Glacier, and then you can either return with it, hike back, or catch the boat later. We like it.

Unlike in US national parks, dogs are allowed on the trails in most Canadian NPs.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Re Dog food at the Canadian side...wasn't aware that was an issue coming north. We learned not to take dog food going to US because they said it contained prions from Mad Cow Disease, if made in Canada. They did let us bring our US purchased dog food back to US. I always wanted to ask if they needed certification that my dog had had a colon cleanse...he would be carrying prions. So also do the hundreds of garbage trucks crossing into Michigan every day. At some point dog food was no longer an issue. Seems to have gone away 4 years ago.

Take this away from the thread... do your home work...know the rules and be prepared to meet the border official from hell because there is always someone having a bad day or who has been recently disciplined. If you are clean they can only keep asking questions until they run out of things on their list. And look the official in the eye while talking to him or her.

And come to Canada. We have spectacular scenery and although expensive, really good provincial parks...(less 35% for your dollar and 10% seniors discount). You will want to book ahead if you are traveling in peak vacation periods. And change your money in the US. We are not so friendly on the exchange side in retail establishments if you are purchasing with US cash (and the same is true in the US for Canadian $$). I always take cash advances from Walmart with my debit card since the exchange rate is fixed by the prevailing bank rate, and I don't pay the ATM and bank fees. Walmart in Canada is the same company so their debit machines should do US cards.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:34 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
A few questions... I'm from NS but am a US citizen now. We return to NS annually, almost always by air but in 2014 by minivan (before we owned our AS).

Is the issue with all dog food or just some kinds? (dry, canned, pouched, etc.) Do you get a break if you present a factory sealed new package of food - would that be considered uncontaminated or whatever?

Of course dog food can be purchased in Canada but we use a specialty food and switching a dog's food abruptly can lead to big problems - we tried that once on a trip and the result was a nightmare - our dog got severe diarrhea, to the point of passing blood in her stool. When we crossed at Houlton ME in 2014, our dog was very briefly examined but we were not questioned about her food, which was in the car (two weeks' worth).

Yes on the fruit - give it up upon returning to the U.S. from Canada - even though it is often clearly marked as having originated in the U.S. (e.g., Florida oranges, Washington apples).

Does anyone have any experiences crossing with frozen food? Processed packaged food = yes - nobody asks any questions. Most fresh foods = no. What about cooked and frozen? It sorta falls in the gray area between the two.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #26
54 Flying Cloud

1967 20' Globetrotter
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Minnesota
have you looked up whether you can have your dog food shipped to your first stop ahead of time?
KrisE MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:15 AM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A few years ago we crossed back into the US through a New Brunswick crossing into Calais, Maine. On the US side they asked to check our Airstream. After 10 minutes or so they came out with 1.5 lemons. I had no idea of the citrus restrictions. Ironically they had come from home in NJ with us but there was no way to prove that. It may not have mattered even if we could. We had been in Canada for 2 wks and had lots of other food items including lunch meat, leftovers, bacon, eggs etc. But the lemons were the only items of concern. They were pleasant, polite and professional and left our trailer as they found it. That was the only crossing that has ever asked to check anything. Our trips into and from Canada have all been quick and easy.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:35 AM   #28
Rivet Master

I went up to Canada this past fall for a few weeks and had a blast. Crossing over into CA the guy was great, no problems and a joy to speak with.

For me, (even though I'm a US born, raised, etc..) coming back into the States was a pain in the *ss! The US Boarder guy was a d*ck! It was to the point I was ready to turn around and ask to become a Canadian Citizen. And it always seems to be that way. The CA boarder guys great! US boarder guys nasty ;-(

Was thinking it would be better to come in from the south side of the states with no ID, I'd get through a lot faster and get a few freebies to boot. ;-)

Enjoy,
Old 01-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
We cross the boarder multiple times a year. We find the staff to be friendly and have never had an issue. We travel with a dog and moving food across the boarder is really not a big issue unless you have food that has banned ingredients. If your food has an ingredient they don't like, don't bring it across and buy a new bag on the other side. Pet stores on both sides of the boarder have the same brands and one can confirm with a simple search of your food manufactures website if and where the food is available in a given country.
As a final comment on dog food - We often get asked if we have the original bag the food came in as we store our food in a plastic bucket in the trailer. We have learned to keep (an) original dog food bag that DOES NOT have any banned substances as part of its ingredients list. We keep it folded in the top of the plastic food bucket and it satisfies there requirement every time.

The bottom line is Canada is having a big sale these days with our exchange being about 40%. So take advantage of it and come on up for a visit...

Enjoy

Doug
Old 01-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Last time we crossed back into the US, the US border guard said she wanted to look inside the Airstream, so I handed her the keys. My wife, who always has a hard time with the AS keys because she feels that they work backwards, said, "You better go open it for her." I said, "I'm sure she's opened enough trailers that she knows how to get in." Sure enough, after about 5 minutes of fiddling around with the keys, she came back and asked me if I would please let her in.
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
The few times we've had our trailer inspected crossing the border I've always commented that the door lock is a bit tricky (which it is) and would they mind if I unlocked it for them. They've never said no.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
The last time we crossed over from the U.S. to Canada we had to leave our eggs. Guess it was the bird flu. My wife is Canadian and I am American. We new about fresh fruit, but the eggs were a surprise. Had just bought a dozen.
Funny, we bring eggs across the border a couple of dozen times a year and have never been asked about them. The only time we ever had them confiscated was crossing into the US at Campobello Island.

Last spring we asked about poultry products coming into Canada at Niagara Falls in anticipation of bringing frozen chickens back from Michigan the following week. The chickens are raised and processed by my in-laws on their family farm. The border guard said that there were only certain states that were a problem and were surprised when he remarked that unless the chicken was labelled as coming from one of those states it was okay.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:21 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Haute-Aboujagane , New Brunswick
Crossing the border can be a headache or a breeze . It all depends on what you have inside your rv and the border guard . Prohibited groceries change all the time check with Canada border services just before crossing. I personally have never had any trouble at the border except losing some tomatoes and peppers . One border guard even asked to sign our sons arm cast ! (It was a great way for him to check inside our van without being unfriendly )
chrisetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
[QUOTE=Arcticfox;1731129
As a final comment on dog food - We often get asked if we have the original bag the food came in as we store our food in a plastic bucket in the trailer. We have learned to keep (an) original dog food bag that DOES NOT have any banned substances as part of its ingredients list. We keep it folded in the top of the plastic food bucket and it satisfies there requirement every time.

[/QUOTE]

The current rules for dog food are if the food is made in the US or Canada its good to go BUT it must be in the original bag! and going into the USA the the original bag is not to have been OPENED! Have more than one friend who has had their dog food bag taken from them going into the US simple because the bag was open. Going into Canada its OK to have the bag open but it is suppose to be in the original bag.

Since the rules regarding dog foods have become somewhat more relaxed in recent years than in the past, to be actually asked about the dog food in my experience in the last couple of years is actually a long shoot .... but all it takes is that one time they do ask and they want you to play by the actual written laws.

Last year going in both directions there were no dog food issues but there was an issue with fresh eggs - may still be an issue haven't checked yet. The year before Basmati rice was the hot item.

Carrying fresh vegetables or fruit is always a bad idea going both ways. To avoid issues I just do not carry them in either direction - ever! Have many camping friends who will attest to never had any issues at the border ..... until the one time there was a tomato or apple incident!

As has been said everyone has bad days and Border staff are not an exception to that rule. Have meet a few bad day type folks, going in both directions. Having made dozens of trips across the line each year for the past 10 years with a trailer & I have only had the trailer opened up once! I know it was going to happen as soon as I pulled up to the booth. Before the border guard had even taken the passport from me, he said in a very stern voice "And where are you hoping I grant you the privilege to go in my country today?" While answering that question I started to removed the keys from the ignition & selected out the trailer key anticipating based on the tone of his voice & the phrasing of the question asked, what he was going ask for next. He did not disappoint me. He then scanned the passport and went back to the trailer opened the door, look into it & did not even go in, locked it back up and then handed me the keys & said have a nice trip! Not another single questions asked. Go figure. LOL

The big advantage they have at the border today is the computerized passport scanning system. They can read on the screen how many times you have been in and out of their country, as well as other countries, without any issues and can be trusted to return to your home country.

I traveled internationally for my work and I can name a number of counties where I had a far less pleasurable experience getting in or out of them, than I have ever faced getting in or out of the USA or Canada. In fact one time I was not so sure I was actually going to be let out of one country any time soon for reasons unknown/unexplained, without the help/pressure from the Canadian Embassy.

I sometimes think we do not appreciate just how well Canada & USA play together when it comes to easy border crossings even though we are in fact two very different countries with some big differences, especially when it comes to certain laws.

Sincerely hope that never changes.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I had good and bad experiences - doesn't matter which country. I've found that the smaller the crossing, the more human the officials and that on these occasions it's possible to have a person-to-person conversation.

This summer, Denmark of all places was a shining example of officialdom running amok, coming back to Canada we got warmly welcomed - one of our passports wouldn't scan at the machine, a border guard saw we were struggling with three young kids, antsy after a 7 hour flight, and whisked us past the line and through a side booth where it took 30 seconds with a smile and a "welcome home" to have our passports inspected.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
A couple notes on taking a long gun(s) into/through Canada. Summer of 2014 I took them on our trip through Canada to Alaska. We crossed the border many times on that trip, never an issue. This past summer we spent 4+ months in the Atlantic provinces, did not take them. There are two forms, one from RCMP, the other from US Customs. You must stop at US Customs BEFORE you cross into Canada and declare those firearms and ammo. If you fail to stop at customs and the US form is not stamped, you are subject to having the firearms seized and a fine.
Also, when ask why you are taking them into Canada, the answer is wildlife protection or hunting. Do not say they are for personal protection. Pepper spray is also banned, bear spray ok.

Never any issue with dog food, in fact Jake got lots of biscuits at the crossings. Always ask how much money, guns, alcohol, firewood, and produce. Must say that went entering back into NS from Newfoundland, we found that NS does not like NL potatoes. Had to dump them before we entered the ferry staging area.
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
The flip side of the crashing Cdn. $ - it's good for Canadian food processors. I have just sold some of my gourmet product to Madison, Wisc.

I love visiting America and Americans, but may have to put any future travel plans on hold.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #37
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
Border crossing

I'm telling all my American friends I see ...this is the year for them to travel .... Your currency is killing everyones .... Can$.....euro .....mex pesos and more .... Bad for US exporters and is probably really hurting US northern border towns as the Canadians aren't coming south like normal. Same with a lot of snowbirds not heading south.
We cross the can/us border and the mex/us twice a year for 11 years ......once heading south and once again heading north. This past Nov the us customs agent asked me 2 questions and then said have a great trip. Coming north we find the us always seems to want to look in the truck at Nogales .

I prefer small border crossings when possible, but it doesn't always work out.

The simple rule is don't bring any fruits and veges over the border....it's the easiest way. Do your grocery shopping when you get to the US or Can. 10 years ago us customs took all our expensive dog food away because of mad cow..... They told me if it was US made it would have been ok .... The last 6-7 years no one has said a word about Dog food and we alway carry it both ways. In 11 years the Canadian ,,,,US....and Mexico customs have never asked once for our dogs paperwork ( we always have it!).
When you get to the border... Take off your sunglasses and hat answer the questions without any smart remarks ....don't drive up over the line until your waved thru or green light (I did it once too with the US and they didn't like it!!) 99% of the time your gone in a few minutes. And NO PISTOLS into Canada!
Gas and alcohol are more expensive in canada but you'll find most everything else very reasonable...... Remember a $40 campsite fee is only going to be about $30us.....
Come see us ....ehhhh ......we love having you visit.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Chicago , Illinois
Canadian Travel

Crossing into Canada from the United States, I’ve found, can be hit or miss. I’ve visited Canada nearly a couple dozen times and entered all but twice without incident. Both times I was detained were lengthy, inexplicable, and unpleasant enough to almost make me not want to ever return so I can empathize with ROBERTSUNRUS. On both occasions I was treated as though I was a criminal.

For the sake of disclosure, I’m a law enforcement officer whose appearance is neat and well groomed (i.e., clean shaven, military haircut, etc.) so it’s unlikely I was profiled. I almost always travel with my duty weapon and when I journeyed into Canada I declared it at the border where they secured it and furnished me with a receipt. I retrieved the weapon when I returned to the United States (note that I’m reasonably certain that is no longer an option). I guess it just depends on the individual you encounter on any given day. I truly enjoy Canada and all it has to offer and in spite of a couple of bad experiences with the border officials, I will continue to visit for as long as I am welcome.

As far as Canada being “safer” because they have zero tolerance for handguns is a matter of semantics. While homicide rates are clearly much higher in the United States, I suggest you compare violent crime rates per 100,000 both in Canada and the United States . . . you might be surprised. An opinion is often just that – an opinion, but an informed opinion can be enlightening.
VirginiaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaLee View Post
While homicide rates are clearly much higher in the United States, I suggest you compare violent crime rates per 100,000 both in Canada and the United States . . . you might be surprised. An opinion is often just that – an opinion, but an informed opinion can be enlightening.
Violent crime rates in Canada are considerably lower, and falling, than in the US, see source and source.

This includes murder, assaults and rapes.

You were possibly thinking of property crimes.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
1. A passport is not only legit form of proof of citizenship/proof of identity but I figured that anyone who crossed the border frequently enough to use one of the others (like the Nexus card) would know about them.
Nexus cards are great for anyone crossing the border frequently! For a while we put off getting them because we thought the $50 fee times a family of six might not pay off over 5 years, but then learned that there's no fee for children under 18. We've saved many hours of waiting in line compared to what we used to experience before having the cards. Generally there's one or two quick questions and away we go, but it doesn't exempt you from random checks. We once got pulled over from the Nexus lane on a random check with the trailer, but even then the inspection was quite quick and the US border guard commented that it was just a formality and he wasn't really worried about us having something we shouldn't because we had Nexus cards.

It can speed the process when flying from one country to the other as well.