Old 01-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Does anyone have any experiences crossing with frozen food? Processed packaged food = yes - nobody asks any questions. Most fresh foods = no. What about cooked and frozen? It sorta falls in the gray area between the two.
We crossed with frozen foods many times with the AS freezer well stocked and the inspectors don't care if it was commercially packaged or our own...provided it isn't on their prohibited list...for example, cooked frozen meat balls (back during the Mad Cow disease days). I remember telling the an officer we had frozen chicken to which he replied "I don't care about chicken".
Now I just tell them everything I've got and let them decide. Only had stuff taken away once using that strategy. Re; Us labelled fruits....it depends on the officer. We have had Oregon Granny Smith Apples with labels taken one time and let pass the next, simply because the label was there!
JCW

Old 01-05-2016, 11:45 PM   #44
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Another good reason to visit Canada's national parks-- free admission in 2017, although an annual pass purchased this year will be good till 2 years from the same day and month in 2018.

Free national park passes to mark Canada’s 150th anniversary in 2017 | Calgary Herald

Old 01-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Haute-Aboujagane , New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Another good reason to visit Canada's national parks-- free admission in 2017, although an annual pass purchased this year will be good till 2 years from the same day and month in 2018.

Free national park passes to mark Canadaís 150th anniversary in 2017 | Calgary Herald
I was just about to post this too lol ! We received a park pass as a Christmas gift this year . It turned out to be the gift that will keep on giving .
Old 01-09-2016, 04:48 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Taft , Texas
Good old Calais. We crossed there a few years ago. I had filled out the form for my shotgun. When the pretty young blonde waved me on, I told her I had a shotgun, and handed her the paperwork. She said, "You can't take a gun into NB." She informed me I could leave it there and get it when we come back. So inside I go with my shotgun. Then she says, "Is there anything you want to tell me in private?" Huh? What the hell is she talking about. I said, "Of course not. I have no secrets from my wife." She then proceeded to ask me about an arrest I had in 1967. I've never been indicted for anything, and certainly not convicted of anything. I was flabbergasted. I'd crossed the Canadian border many times without a problem. Yes, I got arrested in 1967 for theft, and proved with a receipt that what I was accuse of stealing, I'd paid for. No handcuffs, no jail cell for even a minute. This cute young thing found a record of me being arrested, almost fifty years ago. I got angry, but kept my mouth shut. She informed me that she did not have to allow me into Canada. I wrote a letter to the head of the Canadian border crossings. He called me. He did not apologize directly, but did assure me that this would not happen again.
When I stopped a few weeks later to get my shotgun I was treated so friendly it was strange. It was the same crew on duty.
I guess I should have went on, with my shotgun, when she tried to wave me on.
2016 F-350 6.7 Diesel (Overkill and loving it)
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:37 AM   #47
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Sorry you had a close encounter, Matt! I'm glad it worked out in the end.

One word for border crossers is that it is really, really a good idea to be perfectly open and straight with the agents, and in both directions. We live very close to the US border, and we and our neighbours often go across for gas, shopping, and yes-- AS camping.

Everyone around here has some stories about bootlegging, but the Idahoans have told us that people with drunk driving convictions have been stopped by Canadian customs & immigration and turned back. I just checked this out and it seems to be correct. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...h-dui-offenses But it looks like people with a DUI conviction on their record can apply for a waiver.

The agents don't seem to search vehicles very often, but if they find something that wasn't declared and should have been, this ends up on a computerized record. (We believe this goes by passport & license plate.)

I am sorry that this thread focused on bureaucratic red tape vs. cool places to visit in Canada, but yes, you do have to get across the border to reach them.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:17 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

penticton , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaLee View Post
Crossing into Canada from the United States, Iíve found, can be hit or miss. Iíve visited Canada nearly a couple dozen times and entered all but twice without incident. Both times I was detained were lengthy, inexplicable, and unpleasant enough to almost make me not want to ever return so I can empathize with ROBERTSUNRUS. On both occasions I was treated as though I was a criminal.

For the sake of disclosure, Iím a law enforcement officer whose appearance is neat and well groomed (i.e., clean shaven, military haircut, etc.) so itís unlikely I was profiled. I almost always travel with my duty weapon and when I journeyed into Canada I declared it at the border where they secured it and furnished me with a receipt. I retrieved the weapon when I returned to the United States (note that Iím reasonably certain that is no longer an option). I guess it just depends on the individual you encounter on any given day. I truly enjoy Canada and all it has to offer and in spite of a couple of bad experiences with the border officials, I will continue to visit for as long as I am welcome.

As far as Canada being ďsaferĒ because they have zero tolerance for handguns is a matter of semantics. While homicide rates are clearly much higher in the United States, I suggest you compare violent crime rates per 100,000 both in Canada and the United States . . . you might be surprised. An opinion is often just that Ė an opinion, but an informed opinion can be enlightening.
there is no question that canada as a MUCH lower rate of homicide with gun or violence in general. The statistic are very clear. It s a very different culture to start with. I have to say I find it difficult to understand why a USA citizen would want to bring a gun to Canada? That will in many case trigger some suspicion of the Canadian border agent as it s not a usual behavior. Once again....we are talking of a culture difference. Having a gun for self defence is a non sence in the mind of many canadiens. Many of our USA neighboors don't share our opinion.

I m sure I would not be very popular with no anti gun mentality in the middle of texas.... different culture...
Old 01-10-2016, 01:21 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

penticton , British Columbia
I had good and bad experience going to usa or coming back to canada... but I would say in 90% of the case... it s very pleasant and we are good neighbours!
Old 01-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kline View Post
Good old Calais. We crossed there a few years ago. I had filled out the form for my shotgun. When the pretty young blonde waved me on, I told her I had a shotgun, and handed her the paperwork. She said, "You can't take a gun into NB." She informed me I could leave it there and get it when we come back. So inside I go with my shotgun. Then she says, "Is there anything you want to tell me in private?" Huh? What the hell is she talking about. I said, "Of course not. I have no secrets from my wife." She then proceeded to ask me about an arrest I had in 1967. I've never been indicted for anything, and certainly not convicted of anything. I was flabbergasted. I'd crossed the Canadian border many times without a problem. Yes, I got arrested in 1967 for theft, and proved with a receipt that what I was accuse of stealing, I'd paid for. No handcuffs, no jail cell for even a minute. This cute young thing found a record of me being arrested, almost fifty years ago. I got angry, but kept my mouth shut. She informed me that she did not have to allow me into Canada. I wrote a letter to the head of the Canadian border crossings. He called me. He did not apologize directly, but did assure me that this would not happen again.
When I stopped a few weeks later to get my shotgun I was treated so friendly it was strange. It was the same crew on duty.
I guess I should have went on, with my shotgun, when she tried to wave me on.
Works both ways at the border, and both countries co-operate in letting the other know about warrants and convictions. The Border Agent was only going on what she could see on her computer, and that comes from the country of origin. None-the-less I'd have to admit that someone messed up based on what happened on your return.

A "pot" offense here in Canada is enough to prevent a Canadian crossing into the US, no matter when it occurred.
JCW
Old 01-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Sorry you had a close encounter, Matt! I'm glad it worked out in the end.

One word for border crossers is that it is really, really a good idea to be perfectly open and straight with the agents, and in both directions. ... people with drunk driving convictions have been stopped by Canadian customs & immigration and turned back. ...
The agents don't seem to search vehicles very often, but if they find something that wasn't declared and should have been, this ends up on a computerized record. (....
To get a feel for that whole scene, the TV show Border Security is useful - BUT I'm not sure how many (if any) American cable markets offer it. NatGeo carries it but it's a Canadian production. I've mostly seen an episode here and there while staying in Canadian hotels. It's kind of backwards because it's Americans who need that information the most, but the content is less accessible here. From watching just a few episodes, I was surprised to find that, yes indeed, if someone has a DUI or a possession on their record, they often get their butts turned around and sent back home.

Border Security - National Geographic Channel - Canada
Old 01-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #52
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
I'd never heard of this TV program-- but it would keep me entertained for hours.

I think anyone who looks like a normal middle class middle age person/couple towing an RV saying they're visiting a typical tourist destination wouldn't have much trouble. Have your passports at the ready before you reach the booths. As I said, living so close to the border, we and our friends go through fairly often. Most common questions in both directions are: where do you live and where are you going, how long do you plan to stay in the country, and what are you bringing with you: alcohol, tobacco, firearms, (sometimes medications,) more than $10,000, total value of goods purchased on your return to your home country, and rarely, the dog's rabies certificate. Sometimes we've been asked if we had it but they didn't actually ask to see it. Any fresh produce or meat-- and the US is tougher on this than Canada. Usually its best just to do your fresh grocery shopping on the other side, but definitely buy gas in the US-- it's cheaper.

You can bring all that money, 2 bottles of wine per person, &c if you want to-- they just want you to declare it.

Since I started this thread the Canadian dollar has continued to drop-- it's now worth 70c US. (US dollar worth $1.42 Canadian.)
Old 01-12-2016, 07:27 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I've been pretty negative about going to Canada, etc. but after much soul searching,a little research, and receiving insight from individuals from Europe, I've come to the conclusion that our differences, that being US and Canada, are trivial to the worlds problems. Once again our countries are looked at by many as being the saviors of the world. Our differences are minor, our similarities many, our will to maintain peace and order in the world just and necessary. Sorry for the rant and or hijack. Good camping.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #54
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
C'mon down, Avionstream! Or should I say, "C'mon up"? But then Canada isn't actually "up", it's north. Unless you get into the high elevations.

Whatever.........
Old 01-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I'm in Florida, everything is up and north.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Doug the "ArticFox", quick question. I always like to do one of the easiest comparisons in the world when doing international travel. We know the exchange rate. But do a comparison oth the price of a McDonalds Big Mac, meal or sandwich. That sometimes will be a good barometer setting the "real" cost of your destination in simple terms.

So the question for you is, what's the price of a Big Mac up your way?

ProPride
NōVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote