Old 02-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Canadian Rockies

I'm planning a summer trip to Glacier NP, then north to Banff, AB and west to Whistler, BC. The tentative route is from Banff to Kamloops, then Highway 99 to Whistler. I'm towing a 2008 20' Safari with a 1500 Silverado with a heavy duty tow package. I would appreciate information regarding MDA's to include bridge weight limits, tunnels and steep grades.
Thank You

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Some very nice scenery that way.

You are on major highways to Cache Creek, then a secondary highway through to Whistler. I have driven them all, but haven't towed from Cache Creek to Whistler. You do see large fifth wheel trailers on that section. There has been bridge upgrading and repaving work through there in recent years. I think of it as having some tight corners but nothing too extreme. There are grades. I don't know them but one report listed 13% for the section at the Lillooet end. Not a road to race along with a trailer, just take it easy and enjoy the trip.

We call that section of Hwy 99 the Duffey Lake Road. If you google that name you should find lots of specifics, including videos. Searching on Hwy 99 probably brings much more info up on the Sea to Sky Hwy from Vancouver to Whistler (which was significantly upgraded for the 2010 Olympics.)

Drivebc.ca also has info, including a commercial vehicle route planner that flags height and width restrictions.

Jeff

Old 02-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Lots of road construction between Banff and Revelstoke in the summer!
Old 02-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Did it in the Fall last year....yes some construction but not so bad. Wicked switch backs but heck they have tour busses all over the place.
Absolutely stunning scenery.....gotta do it.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I suggest an overnight stop in the area of Clinton/Cache Creek or even Lillooet. Lots of places to hold up if you Google that. The reason I suggest this is, the morning trip down to Whistler will be with the sun on your back and the view will be fantastic. Take lots of pictures.

Make sure your brakes are adjusted and 100% serviceable for this trip west from Lillooet.

http://goo.gl/maps/qwGaM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lillooet,_British_Columbia

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I can comment only on the trip from Waterton National Park which borders Glacier NP to Kamloops.
A few years ago we did a trip from Wateron up the Cowboy trail (Highway 22). It was very easy travelling, and quite scenic. Highway 22 crosses over Highway 1 that goes west to Banff.
Last September we travelled from Banff to Kamloops. This was our first trip through the mountains and I found it wasn't bad at all (four lane in a lot of areas). Not the white knuckle experience that I was expecting. My Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L handled it with no issues. I just had to go easy in a few areas. No issues with weight or bridge restrictions.
Have a great trip.. If you have time go to Kelowna (Wine Country).

Paul

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
bolerama is right. The road from Banff to Kamloops is relatively tame.

The steepest grades/most challenging driving with a trailer are from Vancouver to points north/north-east. (Check out the Highways Thru Hell thread).
Old 02-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I don't think you should have much trouble-- you will see monster white-box 5th wheels on BC highways all the time, as well as big trucks. Most of the 2-lane highways have passing lanes, as well. The drivebc.ca site has webcams of all of the province's major highway passes plus info on road conditions.

Depending how early in the season you wish to go, you may find some facilities or roads in the parks not open yet-- the parks post opening dates on their websites. If you wish to camp in the parks during their high season, advance revs. are recommended, because they get tourists from all over the world. A lot of Europeans rent RVs to tour the parks. In Banff, we've stayed at the big Lake Louise CG as well as the Fish Creek CG near Apgar/West Glacier several times.

Glacier NP is just a great park: you are aware that you can't tow your trailer over Going-to-the-Sun Road? (Logan Pass.) Highway 2, which skirts Glacier NP to the south is no problem if you wish to see this park both east and west. When we were there during high season last summer, Going-to-the-Sun Road was packed with cars, such that there was no parking left at the Logan Pass visitor center. If we do it again, I would just park the truck as well as the rig and take the NPS shuttle bus or concession red touring cars, preferably first thing in the morning.

The Columbia Ice Field north of Banff is pretty interesting.

Have a great trip!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Thank you for all the responses..plans are to arrive and stay on the east side of Glacier, head north and stay in the Banff area, then west and overnight in the Kamloops area before going on into Whistler. From Whistler we will head down to Anacortes, WA.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I uploaded this segment just for you. This is the TCH approx 10 miles east of Golden, BC. We are heading east last Aug. As FLY says above, there still is a lot of construction in this area with many miles of road improved over the last 5 years. This portion of the road will take some time to improve as there is little room to work with RR tracks below in the Kicking Horse Canyon.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ml#post1418547

http://goo.gl/maps/9LloH

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I would also recommend you get a copy of the Alaska Milepost as it gives an account of every highway in Canada along with the Alcan route.

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote