Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Canadian border crossing questions

We are heading up to the Atikokan ,Ontario area for a fishing trip this week ,and I would like to know what I can take across the border as far as groceries go. The liquor regulations are pretty clear but the food regulations are not real clear. What foods should I avoid taking ? What amount of groceries am I allowed to bring across?
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Lots of good info here, with links to other issues.

As far as quantities of groceries, just don't show up in a 40-foot tractor-trailer rig and expect to slide in with no duty. You can bring reasonable amounts of food for the people on board, tobacco and alcohol having precise limits.

FYI, some Canadians who live near the border go to the US every weekend to do their grocery shopping.

Oh, and NO guns, of course.

Like any border crossing, it's always good to stay away from comments like, "Not the brightest crayon in the box now, are we?", or "Do they ever shut up on your Planet?"

Old 06-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Do you have a passport? If not you may have as much trouble getting back into the States.

Not only no guns but no ammo. If you have ever carried ammo in the truck or trailer make sure it is out.

When I cross into Canada the inspector calls me by name even before I can open the window all the way down. I live in NJ and with a front license plate and they have my complete record in front of them before I get to a stop. It was surprising to have them say Mr. E. where are you going this time, the last time you visited Canada you were going to Alaska.

I have never had more than a conversation with Canadian Costumes, I have had the trailer inspected by US Customs.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sometimes I have been asked about specific foods (fresh things like fruits and veggies), but nothing has really happened. Going to Newfoundland in '04 from Nova Scotia, they were very concerned about potatoes, but we were already in Canada. But generally it's sort of like California—if you're going to eat it, they aren't much concerned.

Last year the US guys at a small station in NE Montana wanted to look inside the trailer, but I think they were bored because there was so little traffic and wanted to see the inside of an Airstream (that's what I told myself).

When we re-entered the US yesterday at Skagway the customs guy complimented us on our good taste in owning an Airstream, looked at our passports, and that was it. They have radiation detectors at US border stations now (large yellow rectangles you drive through) so turn off your x-ray machine before you go through.

The space at the kiosk, either way, can looking daunting but is wide enough for the trailer, not that we don't drive through at about 1 mph watching the trailer carefully.

You are right, the food regs aren't so clear and can change fast because of diseases carried by some products. This gives them leeway to act fast to prevent spread of them. If you have a cow that is falling down a lot, they will suspect mad cow disease. Any live cow (dead would be worse) in an Airstream is not advised.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I figure they will look inside ,just because they like to see an older Airstream. Sounds like food won't be much of an issue; we will just avoid the fresh produce. The most thorough inspection we ever had was going into California.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
... You can bring reasonable amounts of food for the people on board, tobacco and alcohol having precise limits.
Thanks for the link! Here's an extract:
You are allowed to import only one of the following amounts of alcoholic beverages free of duty and taxes:
  • 1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine; or
  • a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of alcoholic beverages; or
  • up to 8.5 litres of beer or ale.
Egads, I hope that's per person and not per vehicle?

Zep
Old 06-08-2010, 04:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i was hoping that was per DAY. lol
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
You are allowed to import only one of the following amounts of alcoholic beverages free of duty and taxes:

Zep
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
i was hoping that was per DAY. lol
You guys are my kind of people
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:

Zep
Yes, that's per declaree. So if your SO is willing to fill out another form she can bring the same amount.

Not to forget, you can bring in ANY amount you like, as long as you are willing to pay the duty on the items over the amounts set out.

Or, failing that, I have heard lately that wine, liquor and beer are all for sale here, too.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We had to leave our POTATOES at the border a few years ago - maybe call the Canadian consulate in your area and see what the current allowable list of imports is.....
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
I know the question pertains "into Canada." We purchased up to the 1.5L limit apiece and brought 4 bottles of nice Okanagan pinot gris back from Waterton last fall. U.S. customs didn't blink or inspect when I declared them. Might have helped we escaped camp ahead of 2 dozen Class B mohos of a German auto club headed for the border -- and they were queued up right behind us with the U.S. customs officer shaking his head.

We've heard stories about limits on food going into Canada but have never had a question about our full refrigerator or shelves. Bringing a quantity only for personal consumption is probably the important point.

Be careful not to appear as if any of your party is organizing or charging for guiding. They frown on out-of-country commercial trips -- and have a very skeptical approach if a pilot flies in "friends" while the latter split costs. Same issue applies if your destination is a private cabin. They'll probably give you benefit of the doubt if family or cameraderie & friendship are at the core. It'll always help to have handy any brochures & proof of deposit at a resort. Politeness is important on a visitor's part. We've only been welcomed in that manner and it has always been a positive experience.

They will ask about guns and bear spray -- you won't get either in. Don't bring any cheeses or cured meats back to the U.S. from Canada -- that's the subject of a longstanding European trade embargo.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
In our experience bear spray is ok into Canada. Mace and other sprays to attack humans are not. More often than not they don't ask us about food.

We get the standard questions: passports? guns? ammo? where are you going and how long will you be in Canada? do you have $10,000 or more in cash (new one for Canada)? Since the computer tells them where we are from and the passports confirm, they don't have to ask that anymore, but when we entered Alberta about 10 days ago, "where is your vehicle registered?" That threw me for a moment since I'm used to the same questions. Obviously it was to check if I were deranged, stole the truck and changed the photo on the passport.

Border guards on both sides of the border more often than not have a sense of humor and know what they are doing. They see thousands of tourists and are looking for something strange. If you think getting into Canada will be easier if you wear a hockey uniform with "Howe" on the back, that will not help. An old guy with a big truck towing an Airstream is not the kind of person that usually is a problem and they know it. But sometimes you run into an often young person who is trying to prove themselves, or sometimes they just pull someone over because you are number 1,000 (or whatever the number is). That happened to us 4 years ago and it took us 45 minutes or so at the station. They didn't search anything, just wanted to look at documents. Seems to me with passports required now, there's less need for that.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Papiere, bitte.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Although pets were not mentioned in the initial question - they need to have their shots and shot records up to date. The dog tag does not count as proof - must be a signed shot record from the vet. Mine was a printout with a signature - not an official form - they frowned on that, saying I could have printed it out myself. Well, a few minutes in photoshop and a scanner and I could make any form I want, but that's another issue. Take care of your pets, it was going back into the US that was the issue - Canada did not care much.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Very Important Re: Pets. We left US with our Pet Bird no problem! BUT had problem getting back in, US Wanted Medical Records Etc. and what Bird was eating. I think they were looking for fresh fruit. Almost didn't get back in.Was a Long procedure.
There were LOTS of people with there Dogs in line.
Terroist and illegals had an express lane at the crossing we were at and did not have to stop.
So Sleep Tight you are safe from Pets and Bad Fruit !
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #16
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Last summer crossing from Michigan into Onterio they went through the standard inquiries but also asked about firewood. I did not have any
"cut" firewood ( they did look see) but I did have some cabinet making scraps to use as firewood. These were not a problem. There is some insect issues ( here in the lower 48 also) that they are very careful to monitor. Just a heads up to NOT bring any firewood from your home woodshed. Never had any problems crossing either way and have done it many times both with a camper and without.

Have a good trip, enjoy your time in Canada

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Have the passport, have all the dogs papers, still deciding on beer. How much is it ($ US ) for a case in Ontario now? Last time I was up there I think it was about $40 a case (24-12oz). Any issues with fresh meat? Can't eat walleye for every meal ,so I'd like to take some prime midwestern steaks with.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #18
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
Have the passport, have all the dogs papers, still deciding on beer. How much is it ($ US ) for a case in Ontario now? Last time I was up there I think it was about $40 a case (24-12oz). Any issues with fresh meat? Can't eat walleye for every meal ,so I'd like to take some prime midwestern steaks with.
Canada Customs has an "Automated Import Reference System" that will tell you whether it's ok to import food, and how much you can import.

Here's the link:
Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Automated Import Reference System (Airs)

Although rather tedious to go through, (you have to identify what state your cut of meat comes from, and whether it has the bone in or is boneless, that sort of thing), it does give the most up-to-date information on the food you want to bring in. Go through the process, print out the results, and have them ready when you hit the border.

We have some nice steaks up in Canada too, available at many fine shopping establishments.

Enjoy your stay. Atikokan is some nice, remote country.
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Thanks, everyone, for you inputs. We're heading up to Bowron on 19 Aug to kayak for a week. Can't wait. The ony problem is (1 week)/(4 liters of wine) = Not Enough. The obvious anwer is sampling the local product, of course!

Zep
Old 06-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Since the computer tells them where we are from and the passports confirm, they don't have to ask that anymore, but when we entered Alberta about 10 days ago, "where is your vehicle registered?" That threw me for a moment since I'm used to the same questions. Obviously it was to check if I were deranged, stole the truck and changed the photo on the passport.
Yes, they have all now been trained to add at least one new, different question to the mix for exactly the reason you demonstrated, to put you off guard and see how you react.

Keeps you awake, if there has been a long line at the border, though

Quote:
Thanks, everyone, for you inputs. We're heading up to Bowron on 19 Aug to kayak for a week. Can't wait. The ony problem is (1 week)/(4 liters of wine) = Not Enough. The obvious anwer is sampling the local product, of course!

Zep
By Bowron do you mean this park? Looks like a beauty, despite that it's only 147,209 hectares.

Have a great time, the both of you! Looks like we will be staying close to the home base for at least the summer, since we are expecting our first grandchild late this fall.