Old 07-16-2010, 11:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We have had problems with the US fruit police twice this trip—going into Alaska on the Alaska Hwy and going into Haines, Alaska on the Haines Hwy. Going into Skagway, Alaska, and back to Montana today, no problems at all. Last year crossing from Sask. to Montana no problems with food.

It's hit and miss. Some US agents are nice and greet you, some act tough and never say a nice word ("hello" seems to be hard for them). We have been told different things by different US border fruit police. It seems there must be country of origin on the fruit or the bag; same for meat I guess. This has become a big deal at the border lately because in years past (7 trips to Canada in last 8 years) we have never been questioned about food. The Washington lobbyists must be active. Out of 4 crossings on this trip, we were inspected twice (they say it's random—odds are against 50% of crossings).

The Canadians don't seem to think they have anything to prove and are generally nice. We feel welcomed to Canada, but not, generally, when we come home. People have complained for decades about US customs and immigration attitude problems (names have changed, but not the attitude). As Americans we are are embarrassed about how some people are treated when they come to the US.

How some fruit or veggies for personal use is going to hurt anyone but us I don't understand. Actually the fruit and veggies in Canadian markets often looks better than the stuff in US markets. I haven't seen any Canadians lying dead in the streets with fruit in their hands.

So be careful. They will steal your fruit, you have absolutely no recourse because suing over a peach is not worth the cost and they know it.

Gene

Old 07-16-2010, 11:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Fruit Police?

Hi, I have a feeling that this is just another small way to help the economy; Restock your refrigerator everytime you cross a border.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
Thanks everyone for the insurance information.
Judy
Old 07-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
red deer , Alberta
Its funny you think our border people are the nice ones. To me, its the other way around.

The US border people have always been nothing but friendly to us.

Our home team, on the other hand, seems to have something to prove.LOL
Old 07-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaxp View Post
Its funny you think our border people are the nice ones. To me, its the other way around.

Maybe it depends on your point of view. The other guy is great, my guy is a pain.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaxp View Post

Maybe the Canadian guys know something about Canadians we don't. Are you bringing in cheaper American booze and cigarettes? Do you have ten 5 gallon cans of US gas in the trunk? Do you have 200 lbs of dreaded American potatoes with you? What's with the potato thing anyway—everyone knows that fruit from Canada, probably originally from California, will cause hockey madness, but I read somewhere about potatoes being verbotten to bring into Canada. Don't you like Idaho?

As for our guys, we have been trying to bring in weapons of mass destruction disguised as baseball caps saying "Dawson City", "Hoser" and "I drove the Alaska Highway", but now I know to wear one with an American flag that plays the National Anthem whenever I touch the bill.

Maybe we've been lucky until this year, but has the US been after fruit and veggies before this year? Is this relatively new?

One of the ironies of this is companies can trade across the border under NAFTA without a lot of problems, but ordinary people have to pay duties after a relatively low amount of purchases. I wonder how much is spent by both countries on border guards and radiation detectors and all the rest. If Europe can have open borders, why can't the US and Canada have one? This used to be the most open one in the world, but no more.

Gene
Old 09-27-2010, 01:42 AM   #21

Currently Looking...
Negaunee , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I haven't seen any Canadians lying dead in the streets with fruit in their hands.
Gene

I have been lurking for weeks gathering information to support a decision to buy. Just read the above and felt compelled to suffer through the registration process to say that comment had me laughing til I nearly cried. Oh, the picture it paints...
Old 09-27-2010, 03:04 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
I had occasion to take a day trip to Canada five days after 9-11. While in Montreal I purchased some groceries including some onions and grapes (both produce of the USA). When I arrived at the US border crossing point it was like an armed fortress. The VT National Guard was there. The Customs lady in the booth looked like a barrel with a head on it - it was the oversize bulletproof vest she was wearing that made her appear so clown-like, but no one was laughing.

When she asked me if I purchased or acquired any goods I mentioned my groceries and the onions and grapes were what set her off. She ordered me to go over to a waiting area to see the agricultural inspector. While I was waiting I observed three Sikhs, hands on their turbans, being marched into the office. Eventually the ag inspector came over to my car and I showed him the offending onions and grapes. He told me that produce of the USA is allowed and I could be on my way.

Agricultural inspection is necessary to prevent insects and other such pests from entering the country but is there anything that makes US-grown grapes and onions immune to themwhen they are exported to another country?
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:22 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Smile

Just keep an eye out for the WOOFS!

Been there, done that...
With Love

My photo album; http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...e=22&ppuser=83
TRfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike View Post

Agricultural inspection is necessary to prevent insects and other such pests from entering the country but is there anything that makes US-grown grapes and onions immune to themwhen they are exported to another country?
Pests generally require more than just the fruit. They may live in the soil or on other parts of the plant. If fruit doesn't pick up eggs or pests prior to harvest, it is unlikely to come into contact with the pests after harvest.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We find it quite interesting when crossing the border to see all the bugs in the air and on the ground turning back because they know that they cannot legally cross They don't have fingers to be fingerprinted so they are not eligible for a Passport. Poor little buggers (uh, pardon the pun)