Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Canada input

Planning a trip from NC mountains to Quebec, then to Sault Sainte Marie and circle back thru Wisconsin and on home in May.

I've never been to Canada....anything I should know? I've heard of charming farming villages in Quebec from a podcast years ago but don't really know where they are. I want to find something like the UK countryside we loved. Any info appreciated.

Allstays Is the app we love and it was recommended on this site. Do I really have to reserve ahead. We love being spontaneous.

I've heard that Canadians are wilder about camping than here so I expect the locations to be interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
It's a bit out of your way but the closest to UK country side would be on Prince Edward Island....they speak funny there as well. Halifax and the "Maritimes" are great.
Lets hope the exchange rate is still good when you go.
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
The good news is that the mechanics of traveling in Canada are not all that different from the US, except possibly for the French language in Quebec. It's a wonderful country and a great trip you will certainly cherish. The people are very friendly and will go out of their way to make your visit pleasant. As in the US, County, Provincial and National parks tend to have the nicer campgrounds in better locations than the private campgrounds which can be significantly more expensive and crowded than the public alternatives.

Be prepared that gas costs over $5 a gallon (at least it did this past summer) and most everything else is 20 to 30% more expensive than in the US. Then there is the 14% GST (i.e., sales tax!)

If you think you will spend any time in the National Parks or any national historic sites get the Discovery Pass at your first opportunity. We were pleasantly surprised to learn where it gained us free admission and we more than saved the $136 cost (Parks Canada - Shop and Reserve - Discovery Passes)

Crossing the border is relatively straightforward. Bring your Passports or Enhanced Driver's License and be prepared for the U.S. or Canadian border agent to want to peek inside your trailer. Make sure you check the respective customs web sites ahead of time so see what restrictions exist for bringing goods into both Canada and then back into the US (do not even think about bringing firearms into Canada.) The restrictions are usually agriculturally related and can seem capricious (e.g., who would think that bringing lemons or bell peppers from Canada to the US would be prohibited?)

Old 01-05-2015, 05:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
I know nothing about Canada but if I may make a suggestion about another part of you trip. If you have not been to Machinac Island it is well worth it. No motorized vehicles allowed. So you will need to camp in or near ST. Ignace, MI Then take the ferry to the island. You can do as a day trip or find a hotel on the island.
We would also like to offer courtesy parking at our cottage in Beaver Dam, WI
Tim and Pam
Old 01-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Keep track of holidays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxy View Post

I've heard that Canadians are wilder about camping than here so I expect the locations to be interesting.

Canadian holidays are different than US holidays, so keep that in mind when you are deciding to go without reservations. And maybe set different expectations for your neighbors on holiday weekends. We camped at Meaford, Ontario, in the town park on Canada Day weekend in 2013. The people were all plenty friendly, but the place was rocking (with music playing from at least four different camp sites near us) when we put in our ear plugs and went to bed at 1:30 in the morning, after helping our next door neighbors try to erect their six foot high chain link dog run.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Just a note, gas is now about .85/l so a gallon is about $3.40 per gallon. The GST (federal sales tax) is 5%, and each province has a different PST (Manitoba is 8%). I have noticed in the last while that retail prices for a lot of products in the US are very much in line with prices is Canada. With the 15% exchange rate, you might find things are even cheaper in Canada. C'mon up and have fun!!!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxy View Post
Planning a trip from NC mountains to Quebec, then to Sault Sainte Marie and circle back thru Wisconsin and on home in May.

I've never been to Canada....anything I should know? I've heard of charming farming villages in Quebec from a podcast years ago but don't really know where they are. I want to find something like the UK countryside we loved. Any info appreciated.

Allstays Is the app we love and it was recommended on this site. Do I really have to reserve ahead. We love being spontaneous.

If you're in Sault Ste. Marie, Take the Canadian route around the North Shore of Lake Superior....one of Canada's most beautiful roads. You'll end up in Thunder Bay where you can scoot down to Duluth and back into Wisconsin to head home.

And in Quebec....best bet is Quebec City for charm...I can link you to a good camp site there. And don't worry about the French Language...Many people speak English/French and we're a friendly bunch.

No need for most reservations....our holiday season is really July/August when school is out.

Best advice for the border.....leave your friend Smith&Wesson at home.

PM me if I can be of assistance. Don
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Just remember gas prices in quebec are always more there about .45 cents more per us gallon , you can go on the gas buddy web site and check gas prices all over canada it can save you big bucks and diesel prices are a lot more then gas prices, fill her up before crossing into canada, and like someone said leave your firearms at home. And if your looking for the friendliest people go east to prince Edward island ,Newfoundland ,Nova scotia, newbrunswick, ( maritimes) and in Quebec most people speak French there are some that speak English close to the other provinces borders.

Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Taking the Ontario portion of your trip description very literally (in at Montreal and out at Sault Ste. Marie) you might want to consider a route that includes these attractions. Lots to see and do in Ontario but these are (in my view) show you the best of Southern Ontario's Natural park attractions without taking you through any large urban areas. If you check out the websites you will get a lot more information on what each of these places have to offer.

St. Lawrence Islands Parks Commission:
Lots to see and do all around - easy to spend at least a couple of days.
http://www.stlawrenceparks.com/index.cfm/en/home/?mobileFormat=false

Algonquin Provincial Park:
Ontario's first park - a great place - you can easily spend a few days here.
http://www.ontarioparks.com/park/algonquin

Killarney Provincial Park:
One of the most pristine and scenic areas you will find anywhere. The town of Killarney has as much character as the park. A couple of days will give you a good taste.
http://www.ontarioparks.com/park/killarney

Tobermory/Fathom Five National Marine Park
A very neat kind of park with boat tours over a lot of wrecks. Lots of character and history in Tobermory. You can easily spend a couple of days here.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/amnc-nmca/on/fathomfive/index.aspx

Chicheemaun Ferry is an alternative and attractive way to get you over to Manitoulin Island and back to the Trans Canada Highway. If you are not going to take the Ferry then drop Tobermory from the list as well.
http://www.chicheemaun.com/ontarioferries/english/index.html

Sault Ste. Marie:
I'm not a fan of KOA's but SSM has limited camping close to the city and the KOA is fine.
http://koa.com/campgrounds/sault-ste-marie/

The Bush Plane Heritage Centre is a neat place to visit if you are a fan of airplane history particularly as it relates to the north.
http://bushplane.com/

Note:
  • the Victoria Day holiday weekend usually marks the opening of the camping season - you may run into a few attractions not yet open if you visit ahead of that weekend.
  • that same Victoria Day weekend is real good to have camping reservations in advance.

Have a great trip.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Take plenty of money. When we were in Canada earlier this year diesel was costing over $6 per gallon. I guess it may have come down some since then.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
Take plenty of money. When we were in Canada earlier this year diesel was costing over $6 per gallon. I guess it may have come down some since then.
Not only has fuel been coming down in price - but at least for today your dollar is worth .15 cents more than ours .......

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Best leave all your shooting irons at home. Coming up from Maine on the old Ethan Allen trail is a very pretty drive. You'll go through Sherbrooke in the eastern townships. Then west to Montreal and up to Ottawa. Quebec City is on the north shore of the St Lawrence so it's a bit out of the way. Bridges are in Montreal. From Ottawa take hwy 60 through Algonquin park to hwy 11. Then go north to North Bay to pick up the trans Canada. As stated the tour around Lake Superior is worth it.
Be aware the trans Canada is a 2 lane road. Winter is very cold up here and the roads suffer from the freeze / thaw cycles. Construction is a common event in the summer.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:41 AM   #13
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
You've gotten some great advice and ideas. I would just add:

1. Quebec City is a fascinating place. The old city is walled and looks very European. There are guided tours.

2. Brush up on your French sufficient to read road signs. French Road Signs in Quebec : Trail Canada Many, many French Canadians are bilingual.

3. Depending on your route, you might want to visit Ottawa, the capital; or Niagara Falls. (Try to avoid the junky tourist traps. The Falls themselves are impressive.)

4. Save "loonies" (one-dollar coins, named for the picture of a loon on one side) for parking meters and the laundromat. The washers need loonies instead of quarters. Get ready for "toonies" (should be spelled "twonies")-- $2 coins. Most businesses of any size
will take American money, but it's no problem to take out Canadian money at ATMs.

5. I can't speak for Quebec, but some cute villages in southern Ontario are here: Some of our favourite villages in Southern Ontario - pretty & peaceful and this site gives some suggestions: LES PLUS BEAUX VILLAGES DU QUÉBEC

6. Gas up in the US. No fooling.

7. The Canadian and US customs websites give information on what you can or cannot take across the border, and what you can take across but have to declare. (So don't buy oranges in Canada and try to take them back to the US, for example.) If you travel with a dog, take its up-to-date rabies certificate. Customs officials rarely ask to see it, but they can if they wish. Generally we find the smaller border crossings to go a lot faster than the big ones, but you may need to plan on an hour or more delay at the border if there are long line-ups.

8. The Great Lakes are a beautiful and under-appreciated amenity. I'd go camping along them any time.

9, It looks like Monday, May 18 is Victoria Day in Canada. This is a long weekend and traditionally the start of the camping season. I would book ahead for these Friday-through-Monday dates.
After the long weekend, the campgrounds will quiet down until late June, when the schools are out. Have a great trip!
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:30 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We have crossed over into Canada a lot, have property in ONT. Couple of things, limited to no fruits and Veggies, no firearms (however we do travel in with a shotgun and rifle for protection from animals at our property, but there are forms available on the Canadian webiste that must be filled out, weapon declared and then you need to stop at the border and go into the office without the weapon, but with the form, make sure you do not check the box "for personal protection". Dogs need proof of shots, rabies in particular, no pit bulls in ONT. Bring up to date passports. Have a ball.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #15
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Waterfalls

There are some lovely provincial parks on your route but they can be so busy that you need a reservation. That being said, most parks have a few spots kept for emergency latecomers, just not the best spots.
I particularly love a little out-of-the-way park just west of Sudbury called Chutes. It has a lovely waterfall and beach area and some nice hiking. Spots around 92-98 are right by the falls, very soothing.
It is also a good suggestion to go north around Superior as long as you are not hauling huge weight around, those grades are steep, but the truckers are quite polite, IMHO. Whitesand Park and Rainbow falls are stunning. Just west of Thunder Bay is Kakabeka Falls, wow.
Get an app that has the constellations so you can sit out on the rocks, in the dark, at the lake, with a tablet or laptop, where there is no light pollution, and gaze in wonder at the number of stars you can see. No cities, wonderful.
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #16
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Please put Ottawa on your agenda. We were there this past summer and it is a very special visit. If you wish to take a tour of the Parliment buildings plan early. Across the street they have a visitors center and give free passes but they are limited. We were there about 9:30am and they were already out of english speaking tour passes. ALSO a must : check your credit cards that you use. Some will charge you an international transaction fee for each and every time it's used. These will certainly add up but some cards do not have these fees attached so check around and get one to use while in Canada. When returning to the US plan to stop in Sault Ste. Marie ( US side) for a bit. At the locks they have an observation platform to watch a barge lock through ( if there is one, that is) and a very nice small museum there of lock history. There is camping right nearby if your schedule allows. Leave ALL citrus ( or eat it ) while in Canada. If they check they will confiscate it upon entering the US.

Have a great trip hope the weather cooperates.
See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Great Suggestions sofar!

All of Canada is Beautiful, you won't be disappointed.

Provincial parks in Ontario are always full on the holiday weekends, and most weekends starting in late June. look for private parks or conservation areas if you don't have reservations.

My father grew up in an area of Quebec known as the Eastern Townships, in Lennoxville, about 150km east of Montreal. Beautiful scenery, lots of English speaking people, We camped in the are when we would visit my grandparents when I was a kid. The story goes that my great grandparents came to Canada with plans to settle in Hamilton, but this area of Quebec reminded them of the rolling hills and farms from home in England and they stayed there!
Tourism Eastern Townships | Québec, Canada

Also, we don't use penny's in Canada anymore, be prepared to round up or down when making change.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
The only piece of advice I will add to all of the others is that the May 24 long weekend tends to sell out well in advance. If you plan on being in Canada over the two four weekend book 5 months in advance for Provincial Parks in Ontario. A lot of Provincial Parks don't open until the May 24 weekend either so this can cause less available sites. Northern Ontario and Quebec will still have snow in the woods and many of the lakes are starting to melt. Things can get a bit soggy. It all depends on the winter we are having. I suspect that this year we will have an early spring so it may be more favourable.

If you have a large trailer then your selection of sites becomes much less. Check the web sites and all the details are given for the sites. I tend to book 5 months in advance for anything in July or August and the end of September as on the weekends most parks are sold out for the larger and better sites.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
i had a wonderful time crossing the provinces until i got to Quebec where i was treated with disdane and rudeness. when we got to New Brunswick, a local asked for my opinion of Quebec, not knowing what i was in for, i told the truth, 'never again.' he laughed and said his entire province felt the same way

for my money, the maritimes would give you a way better trip coming from where you are located.

the obvious NOs are firearms and radar detectors. check in advance regarding fresh fruits and vegetables as these restrictions come and go. limit your alcohol and tobacco and have a credit card that works up N of the border without penalty.

watch out for the moose!
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's what you need to know:

Nova Scotia: Travel to Nova Scotia | Canada | novascotia.com

PEI: Tourism Prince Edward Island (PEI) - Canada - Official Guide

Québec: Bonjour Québec.com: Tourist information and reservations to help you plan your trip to Québec

Ontario: Official Website of Tourism in Ontario | OntarioTravel.net

Look at these four sites, you will know more than the aveage residents of those provinces. More information than you could shake a stick at.

Note: shaking sticks at things can be banned in some territories. Check before you enter.