Old 01-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member
1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
I must have notifications turned off cuz I didn't think any one responded to my queri....boy was I wrong! lol this info is just what I need. Those of you who made offers, I will PM you if it works out. I'm going to print out all this stuff cuz the app is hard to read.
I liked finding out about scenic highways. I'm using an app to plan and save legs of my planned route.

We plan to visit eastern provinces when we go to Maine next year.

This community is my favorite info source when it comes to AS and planning help.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

After circumnavigating on 40' sailboat, cruising the USA in our '73 Safari, Dewdrop!
Lexxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I forgot to add that if you have allowed the time while in Sault Ste. Marie ( Canada ) there is a fantastic scenic train ride out of there. Not a steam locomotive but worth the effort all the same. I forgot the destination but it's a park to the NW with a very scenic gorge. The weather wasn't so great ( rainy) the day we went but the afternoon return trip was much nicer. Not cheap but if your budget allows worth it. We camped on the Canadian side just east of the city at Bells Point beach campground. Nice place. Nice people and convienent to the train ride and the border
That is called the Agawa Canyon run and yes it is very beautiful.

Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We are systematically working our way through Canada each summer. Last summer we polished off Alberta and B.C. and this summer we plan to work on Saskatchewan and Manitoba. We worried about things WAY more than we needed to and our large dogs absolutely loved traveling with us. I would suggest avoiding metropolitan areas during peak commuting times and make sure you have room at a gas station. The Rand McNally Atlas and Next Exit were absolutely essential navigation tools. The people are friendly and very accommodating with US vs Canadian currency. We can't wait to go back. Enjoy!
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Well if you are going to Maine and then up to New Brunswick try to stop at a Maine State Park - Cobbs Cook Bay SP. Boondocking, but simply a wonderful place with great friendly staff. Some sites are right on the water and the tides are 25+ feet and crystal clear, unlike Fundy where the tides are muddy. We stayed three nights and loved the place had a site right on the water. 5U. Reservations can be made on line and that site can take a 30' As with F250 CB.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Originally Posted by Lexxy View Post
Planning a trip from NC mountains to Quebec, then to Sault Sainte Marie and circle back thru Wisconsin and on home in May.

I've never been to Canada....anything I should know? I've heard of charming farming villages in Quebec from a podcast years ago but don't really know where they are. I want to find something like the UK countryside we loved. Any info appreciated.

Allstays Is the app we love and it was recommended on this site. Do I really have to reserve ahead. We love being spontaneous.

I've heard that Canadians are wilder about camping than here so I expect the locations to be interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Hi Lexxy,

If you're near Quebec City, try the Isle D'Orleans, just up the St Lawrence, about 20 minutes to the north east. The scenery there was a little like Devon, rolling farmland and narrow little roads, but very French as well. You can tow your Airstream on the island, and there are a couple of campgrounds, but we spent an nice afternoon there pottering around, trying to find some Poutine. If you've ever done the day trip from Dover to Bolougne, try the old town in Quebec City; the similarities are incredible.

I've never had a problem with the people of Quebec and I think talk of animosity can be a little exaggerated. The trick is to at least attempt a bit of French, even if it's only Je ne parle pas la Francaise, Je ne comprend pas or Parlez-vouz Anglais?. Quite rightly, Francophones don't like the assumption that they should speak English in their own Province.

Whatever you do, have a great time.

Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote