Old 01-06-2015, 08:10 AM   #15
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Waterfalls

There are some lovely provincial parks on your route but they can be so busy that you need a reservation. That being said, most parks have a few spots kept for emergency latecomers, just not the best spots.
I particularly love a little out-of-the-way park just west of Sudbury called Chutes. It has a lovely waterfall and beach area and some nice hiking. Spots around 92-98 are right by the falls, very soothing.
It is also a good suggestion to go north around Superior as long as you are not hauling huge weight around, those grades are steep, but the truckers are quite polite, IMHO. Whitesand Park and Rainbow falls are stunning. Just west of Thunder Bay is Kakabeka Falls, wow.
Get an app that has the constellations so you can sit out on the rocks, in the dark, at the lake, with a tablet or laptop, where there is no light pollution, and gaze in wonder at the number of stars you can see. No cities, wonderful.

flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #16
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Please put Ottawa on your agenda. We were there this past summer and it is a very special visit. If you wish to take a tour of the Parliment buildings plan early. Across the street they have a visitors center and give free passes but they are limited. We were there about 9:30am and they were already out of english speaking tour passes. ALSO a must : check your credit cards that you use. Some will charge you an international transaction fee for each and every time it's used. These will certainly add up but some cards do not have these fees attached so check around and get one to use while in Canada. When returning to the US plan to stop in Sault Ste. Marie ( US side) for a bit. At the locks they have an observation platform to watch a barge lock through ( if there is one, that is) and a very nice small museum there of lock history. There is camping right nearby if your schedule allows. Leave ALL citrus ( or eat it ) while in Canada. If they check they will confiscate it upon entering the US.

Have a great trip hope the weather cooperates.
See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:50 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Great Suggestions sofar!

All of Canada is Beautiful, you won't be disappointed.

Provincial parks in Ontario are always full on the holiday weekends, and most weekends starting in late June. look for private parks or conservation areas if you don't have reservations.

My father grew up in an area of Quebec known as the Eastern Townships, in Lennoxville, about 150km east of Montreal. Beautiful scenery, lots of English speaking people, We camped in the are when we would visit my grandparents when I was a kid. The story goes that my great grandparents came to Canada with plans to settle in Hamilton, but this area of Quebec reminded them of the rolling hills and farms from home in England and they stayed there!
Tourism Eastern Townships | Québec, Canada

Also, we don't use penny's in Canada anymore, be prepared to round up or down when making change.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
The only piece of advice I will add to all of the others is that the May 24 long weekend tends to sell out well in advance. If you plan on being in Canada over the two four weekend book 5 months in advance for Provincial Parks in Ontario. A lot of Provincial Parks don't open until the May 24 weekend either so this can cause less available sites. Northern Ontario and Quebec will still have snow in the woods and many of the lakes are starting to melt. Things can get a bit soggy. It all depends on the winter we are having. I suspect that this year we will have an early spring so it may be more favourable.

If you have a large trailer then your selection of sites becomes much less. Check the web sites and all the details are given for the sites. I tend to book 5 months in advance for anything in July or August and the end of September as on the weekends most parks are sold out for the larger and better sites.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #19
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
i had a wonderful time crossing the provinces until i got to Quebec where i was treated with disdane and rudeness. when we got to New Brunswick, a local asked for my opinion of Quebec, not knowing what i was in for, i told the truth, 'never again.' he laughed and said his entire province felt the same way

for my money, the maritimes would give you a way better trip coming from where you are located.

the obvious NOs are firearms and radar detectors. check in advance regarding fresh fruits and vegetables as these restrictions come and go. limit your alcohol and tobacco and have a credit card that works up N of the border without penalty.

watch out for the moose!
Old 01-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's what you need to know:

Nova Scotia: Travel to Nova Scotia | Canada | novascotia.com

PEI: Tourism Prince Edward Island (PEI) - Canada - Official Guide

Québec: Bonjour Québec.com: Tourist information and reservations to help you plan your trip to Québec

Ontario: Official Website of Tourism in Ontario | OntarioTravel.net

Look at these four sites, you will know more than the aveage residents of those provinces. More information than you could shake a stick at.

Note: shaking sticks at things can be banned in some territories. Check before you enter.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I was in Montreal for a week about 12 years or so ago for a convention. I remember that I was told to save my receipts for everything I bought including my hotel room. I filled out a form and sent it in and got a check back for about $180 or so. They gave us the form on the plane on the return trip from Canada. Apparently the national sales tax was rebatable for non Canadians. Is that still true?

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Not sure if national 5% sales tax (GST) is refundable, but the provincial sales tax (PST) should be refundable. PST in provinces vary, from 0% (Alberta) to as high as 8-9%.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
gas & tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
The good news is that the mechanics of traveling in Canada are not all that different from the US, except possibly for the French language in Quebec. It's a wonderful country and a great trip you will certainly cherish. The people are very friendly and will go out of their way to make your visit pleasant. As in the US, County, Provincial and National parks tend to have the nicer campgrounds in better locations than the private campgrounds which can be significantly more expensive and crowded than the public alternatives.

Be prepared that gas costs over $5 a gallon (at least it did this past summer) and most everything else is 20 to 30% more expensive than in the US. Then there is the 14% GST (i.e., sales tax!)

If you think you will spend any time in the National Parks or any national historic sites get the Discovery Pass at your first opportunity. We were pleasantly surprised to learn where it gained us free admission and we more than saved the $136 cost (Parks Canada - Shop and Reserve - Discovery Passes)

Crossing the border is relatively straightforward. Bring your Passports or Enhanced Driver's License and be prepared for the U.S. or Canadian border agent to want to peek inside your trailer. Make sure you check the respective customs web sites ahead of time so see what restrictions exist for bringing goods into both Canada and then back into the US (do not even think about bringing firearms into Canada.) The restrictions are usually agriculturally related and can seem capricious (e.g., who would think that bringing lemons or bell peppers from Canada to the US would be prohibited?)

Hi Just to clarify Gas in Alberta is 3.20 per gallon and only 5% sales tax and if you think eastern Canada is nice some of the best of Canada is out west in Alberta and BC provincial campgrounds in Banff and Lake Louise are Breathtaking Just saying EH! Jonathan
Old 01-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
Not sure if national 5% sales tax (GST) is refundable, but the provincial sales tax (PST) should be refundable. PST in provinces vary, from 0% (Alberta) to as high as 8-9%.
Looks like the law changed in 2007. Now the rebates seem to be focused on convention organizers and folks who are on tours.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:58 PM   #25
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Up-to-date passports, yes-- good thinking.

Now what about Canadian culture?

1. In my experience, if you either try to speak French in Quebec or tell francophones that you can't speak it, as an American, they will like you better than if they think you're an Anglo-Canadian. There is some low-order anti-Americanism in Ontario, home of the Empire Loyalists, but nothing too serious. (Hint: where did the loyalists go during the Revolution?) Generally, if you find out what Canadians don't like about the US, it's something many Americans criticize, also. Many Canadian seniors are regular snowbirds in the southern states. The others are probably just envious that they're stuck in the Snowbelt for the winter.

2. Has poutine caught on in the Southeast yet? One of the most artery-clogging dishes known to man. Many variations, generally involving French fries, gravy, cheese, for starters. Much tastier than grits.

3. Since ice hockey is the national sport, anything you can do to learn about the different teams by way of discussion should be an ice-breaker.

4. Elizabeth II is the queen of Canada. Which is why she's on our money, public lands are called crown lands, and we have a lieutenant governor as her representative in Canada.

5. Think metric: km (62 mph is the new 100km), degrees Celsius.

I hope I don't offend anyone with this list of Canada jokes, but some of them are funny. Canadian Jokes and Canadian Humour
Old 01-07-2015, 07:36 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post
i had a wonderful time crossing the provinces until i got to Quebec where i was treated with disdane and rudeness.
Quebec can be a challenge sometimes. Some of the people are extremely helpful and nice and others are just plain rude. It's unfortunate. The province is a great place to visit. The entire Gaspé Peninsula is spectacular. Well worth the visit. The language barrier can be a challenge in most areas since most Quebecers don't speak English. Unless you are in the Montreal area most others are not fluent in English and will not even make an attempt to speak it. A lot of this has to do with the French separatists who have changed the laws. Basically if you parents are not English speaking you cannot learn English in school. I think with this mentality they will get rid of all English speaking persons in the next few generations.

Anyway, despite the language barriers it is a great place to visit and if they know that you are NOT from Ontario they will will at least try to be helpful.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:36 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
There are a lot of Anglophones in the Eastern Townships. Loyalists again that headed north from Maine and Vermont after 1776. All the road signs are in French only so a basic understanding of what you want to see is helpful. Using GPS is a very good idea. You have to try poutine while in Quebec. They use a special cheese curd that is unavailable elsewhere, and as stated above it beats the hell out of grits.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #28
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I forgot to add that if you have allowed the time while in Sault Ste. Marie ( Canada ) there is a fantastic scenic train ride out of there. Not a steam locomotive but worth the effort all the same. I forgot the destination but it's a park to the NW with a very scenic gorge. The weather wasn't so great ( rainy) the day we went but the afternoon return trip was much nicer. Not cheap but if your budget allows worth it. We camped on the Canadian side just east of the city at Bells Point beach campground. Nice place. Nice people and convienent to the train ride and the border

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote