Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Canada - California - Colorado recovery mission

In a couple of weeks I'll be heading from Northern Alberta down to pick up my new '61 Overlander from Corona, CA. Then I need to swing by Colorado Springs, CO to collect a very kindly donated bath tub before heading home to Canada.

I thought it would be good to make the trip a bit more purposeful if I could see some more of America as I go. I'm interested in seeing some of the National parks such as Sequoia, Death Valley, Zion and the Grand Canyon; maybe some Airstream stuff as I have never even been to an AS dealer.

One snag is that the camper was gutted already so I can't sleep in it yet and will have to rely on Hotels.

I wanted to ask if I could get some advice about these parks, will it be worth it given the season?

Will I run into problems trailering at this time of the year? I'm used to driving in extreme conditions but not with a trailer (this is my first time). Trailer is in tip top condition with all new running gear and truck is big and new.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus

One snag is that the camper was gutted already so I can't sleep in it yet and will have to rely on Hotels..
Perish the thought. I say get a mattress and some camping gear and have at it. Just think of it as an aluminum tent.

How long do you have for the trip? That will help in giving advice.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
hmm, I have only seen pictures of the unit but the inside doesn't look that appealing, see below. (especially what looks like an ABS soil pipe flange where I wouldn't expect to see one?). I can pack a sleeping bag though just in case I suppose.

I had originaly allowed 2 weeks and my wife was going to fly down for some of the trip (Vegas to Boulder, CO) but that's not happening now and I'm left to my own devices.

I think the leg down to California should take me just under 3 days as I won't be towing anything then so that leaves 11 days to meander around with the trailer and get home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	As found interior.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	57729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom as found.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	57730  

Old 04-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Roads to Sequoia...

Depending on your route, some of the roads may be closed due to snow. I would check the website and see. The road from Visalia, Ca into Sequoia is a "ok" road, but some narrow turns. I don't know if there are many camping areas open yet, but should be. Sequoia has some great things to see and is one of my favorite places.... not as many visitors as Yosemite! They have a really lovely lodge at Sequoia that was built about 10 years ago.

Sounds like a fun trip! Good luck.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi ~ traveling in S Tardis from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Thanks Mrs NCB. I just found a video Avenue of the Giants - Airstream Life with a Safari I think going through Avenue of Giants, this stuff looks awesome, I can't wait... Will check on the snow closures too. I just took my winter tires off and it's started snowing again here.