Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2003, 11:28 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Can you suggest a good place to stop?

I am trying to find a good place to stop somewhere between El Centro, CA and San Diego, CA. I would like to find an RV park which is located very close to I-8 and ideally located closer to San Diego then to El Centro. Is anyone familiar with any RV sites in Alpine, CA?

I believe that you can stop at the Cleveland National Forest, but I am not sure. Any help which anyone could lend would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 07:41 AM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Just outside of El Centro are several very high class RV Parks, near I8 and SR111.
A little further ( perhaps 75min?) is an Interstate rest stop where I frequently see overnighters in RV's. This rest stops also has a free dump station. The freeway lanes are split very wide in this area, and the rest stop is in the center between the East and Westbound lanes. This is about 45min west of the long uphill grade after El Centro, just before the immigration stop. I have stayed there a few times on my way to Baja.
Alpine does have some very small RV parks, but no rest stops. It is hilly and twisty in that area.
Some of the areas north of I8 nearer to San Diego have been destroyed by the recent fires, like Lake Cuyamaca and the area around Julian.
Have a nice trip!!
Old 12-07-2003, 01:29 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Thanks for the tips. I am going to leave early on Sunday morning so I am going to try and make it to San Diego by the early evening. If I fall short, I will stop somewhere in the lovely vicinity of El Centro.

Does anyone have any information or thoughts about the Cleveland National Forest campgrounds?
Old 12-07-2003, 01:34 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Uwe,

I am familiar with the rest stop that is about 75 minutes west of El Centro and close to the border patrol station. Is this solely a rest stop or are you legally allowed to spend the evening there? What is the rule with places like this?

Thanks,

Josh
Old 12-07-2003, 07:25 AM   #5
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Unsafe rest stop for obvious reasons.

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote