Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Sol
ItchyFeet

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fuquay Varina , Wake County
Can TV start thru 7 pin connector?

My TV battery once was dead in a campground. (Don’t ask me how...) Thankfully one guy helped me to jump start the TV.

I wonder if I could have started TV by connecting 7 pin connector if I had an extension cord.
Could TV battery be charged thru 7 pin connector? I understand TV alternator charges TT batteries, correct?

Enjoying wealth of information in the Forum!

Thanks a lot everybody!
Dan
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It depends....

IF the TV charge line is NOT connected through a blocking diode or a relay that only turns on when the TV ignition is in 'run', it could eventually charge the TV battery...however, if that is the case, a load that kills the TV battery will also kill the AS battery..

Truly, the charge line wiring is not big enough to do a classic 'jump start'.

All else fails, the smart thing to do could be carrying a long enough set of jumper cables to reach from the AS battery terminals to the TV battery posts. We're talking a set of VERY heavy cables.

Me, I carry a 'boost box' with a well charged battery and use that. It also includes a small air compressor and a light for emergencies.

In the AS world, there are many that would be willing to assist a fellow Airstreamer with a jump start...using your or their jumper cables.

Of course, an active AAA membership card will also be handy in situations close to the highways...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
Sol
ItchyFeet

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
It depends....

IF the TV charge line is NOT connected through a blocking diode or a relay that only turns on when the TV ignition is in 'run', it could eventually charge the TV battery...however, if that is the case, a load that kills the TV battery will also kill the AS battery..

Truly, the charge line wiring is not big enough to do a classic 'jump start'.

All else fails, the smart thing to do could be carrying a long enough set of jumper cables to reach from the AS battery terminals to the TV battery posts. We're talking a set of VERY heavy cables.

Me, I carry a 'boost box' with a well charged battery and use that. It also includes a small air compressor and a light for emergencies.

In the AS world, there are many that would be willing to assist a fellow Airstreamer with a jump start...using your or their jumper cables.

Of course, an active AAA membership card will also be handy in situations close to the highways...

Thanks for your helpful information!
Old 11-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The most likely outcome of trying a start from the trailer battery (via the 7 pin) is to blow the fuse.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:22 PM   #5
Sol
ItchyFeet

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The most likely outcome of trying a start from the trailer battery (via the 7 pin) is to blow the fuse.

Bob

Gotcha! Thanks for the info. I don’t think I’m going to buy a 7pin extension cord. Instead I’ll carry a jumper cable.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
Gotcha! Thanks for the info. I don’t think I’m going to buy a 7pin extension cord. Instead I’ll carry a jumper cable.
I carry jumper cables in both of my vehicles, the Airstream Interstate and the Honda Fit. In both cases, the jumper cables are 20' long. This allows a jump start by the side of the road without requiring the vehicle providing the jump start to face the wrong way on the shoulder of the road. Instead, the vehicle providing the jump start can pull up in front or behind the vehicle needing the jump, and the cables will usually be long enough to reach all the way from one engine compartment to the other.

Something I learned back in the dark ages before boost boxes (I have one of those as well) when my dad owned a service station and I had occasion to jump start vehicles in the middle of nowhere after the owner had walked or hitched a ride to the nearest phone (since that was also before cell phones and when only truckers had CB radios).
Old 11-29-2017, 10:27 PM   #7
Sol
ItchyFeet

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I carry jumper cables in both of my vehicles, the Airstream Interstate and the Honda Fit. In both cases, the jumper cables are 20' long. This allows a jump start by the side of the road without requiring the vehicle providing the jump start to face the wrong way on the shoulder of the road. Instead, the vehicle providing the jump start can pull up in front or behind the vehicle needing the jump, and the cables will usually be long enough to reach all the way from one engine compartment to the other.

Something I learned back in the dark ages before boost boxes (I have one of those as well) when my dad owned a service station and I had occasion to jump start vehicles in the middle of nowhere after the owner had walked or hitched a ride to the nearest phone (since that was also before cell phones and when only truckers had CB radios).

Appreciate your info very much!
Old 11-30-2017, 03:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
A jump box is the only way to go. Those long cables drop a lot of voltage. However, starters take a lot less current than they used to.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Have you ever noticed how THICK the main wires that connect to the battery are? There's a reason for that. Now, look at the wires in a standard 7-pin RV plug. Quite a difference. Then, there's the DISTANCE the tiny wire would have to cover from the trailer battery to the tow vehicle battery. In other words, fugettaboutit (and carry a charged jump pack or at least good jumper cables).
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
FWIW, I carry a third battery in a battery box. I added 12v 50 amp quick disconnects to both the trailer and the battery in the box. I snap the extra battery to the trailer for cold nights when the furnace load might deplete the 2 batteries in the trailer. On two occasions I've used that battery with regular jumper cables to start dead car batteries... once on my TV and once for a neighbor whose car was nose first in his garage.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:22 AM   #11
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I concur with #2
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:45 AM   #12
Mrfixit

Vintage Kin Owner
Bathurst , New Brunswick
Boosting tv

In my day , when we had to jumpstart a vehicle from the back, we would use both jumper cables end for end , positive to positive and put the vehicles bumper to bumper. The bumpers are where we got our ground. If the trailer battery has a big enough negative to frame, and the tv is hooked up, this should work through the hitch as ground.
mrfixit51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
My TV battery once was dead in a campground. (Don’t ask me how...) Thankfully one guy helped me to jump start the TV.

I wonder if I could have started TV by connecting 7 pin connector if I had an extension cord.
Could TV battery be charged thru 7 pin connector? I understand TV alternator charges TT batteries, correct?

Enjoying wealth of information in the Forum!

Thanks a lot everybody!
Dan
It might take 2 -3 days to charge because or the small wires...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote