Old 05-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
I would have died

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I mentioned this incident on another thread, however, I am still suffering after effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post

After working around the Ranch cleaning up storm damage last week, I hooked up the Cloud and took it to Camping World about 15 miles away. Made arrangements for work and went out to get into the truck and move the Cloud to the work area. As I slid into the drivers seat an 18 inch long Copperhead fell out of the over door area around the rubber weather seal. It landed on my neck/shoulder and fell into my lap. I hit all four corners of the inside of the truck and ended up kicking the snake out onto the ground.

Best guess is that it came in thru the crack at the bottom of the doors and worked itself up to the top of the door. I doubt if I can get comfortable with sleeping in the Cloud for a while...I sure am not at ease when I get in the truck nowadays.

AW, good grief, I never would have lived to tell about it! It's amazing you didn't get bit! Bless your heart!

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Another snake story

OK, ya'll. My earlier tolerance for the blacksnakes has been replaced by my usual intense snake hatred. The dadgum things are nuts this year!

We have been entertained this spring by a pair of cardinals who, despite my gentle efforts to discourage them, built their nest in a large (7 foot tall) forsythia bush outside our screened-in back porch. I was worried they would be easy prey..

So, the other day, the cardinals were raising cain. There have been some spectacular blue jay vs. mockingbird fights out back, and I figured there might be trouble for the cardinals. They were REALLY making a bunch of noise. I knew the cardinals had babies, so I was worried.

I went out back, climbed the steps up to the backyard (it's terraced), saying, "hey, what's going on here?". As I approached the bush, the male cardinal wildly flew out of the bush, almost hitting me. The female was screaming (you know, bird screams) inside the bush. I pulled back some branches and there, not much more than a foot from my hand, was a blasted (I'm not thinking that word, but another, worse one) snake curled up around the nest tightly while the mother bird pecked at it. I was furious! Flippin' snake! Trying to eat my baby cardinals.

I started yelling for Mr. Burt, who was outside but around the corner of the house. He came running as I was yelling, "snake! snake" SNAKE!

He arrived and surveyed the scene. He didn't know what kind of snake it was, and I sort of didn't want to tell him cause I wanted that sucker dead, dead, dead. I told him, "get a hoe, just get a hoe," cause I was gonna' kill that mangy snake and didn't even need a gun...I was going to chop him up, or get Mr. Burt to!

He got a garden implement and started poking the snake. I finally told him, "It's a king snake, an Arkansas yellow speckled king snake, but I want his butt dead anyway!" He didn't want to kill it at first, but he told me, "the nest is empty, he got all the babies already." And I could tell he wasn't too happy with the snake either. But that baby-bird-filled scalawag of a snake wouldn't go away with Mr. Burt gently poking, then whomping it with the handle of the hoe...it just got tighter around the nest. Then it made a fatal mistake...it not only stood its ground, but prepared to do battle and appeared ready to bite. Uh-oh, snake. You done went and done it now.

Mr. Burt didn't like that. Mr. Burt has a temper. He didn't say it, but I know he didn't like the fact that the beautiful cardinal family right outside our porch screen had been so viciously murdered. He got that look that makes me get quiet (something that doesn't happen very often). He went inside the house.

He returned with the weapon closest to the back door - a high powered pellet pistol. After that ole snake had been hit several times, it finally dropped out of my forsythia bush. And Mr. Burt, my hero , who usually won't kill any supposedly harmless creature, happily and speedily chopped off its nasty head. Just what that thing deserved. Come in my back yard...eat my baby birds....

So, now we might see a copperhead. Cause we killed the kingsnake. But that snake deserved to die, even if he was a yellow speckled Arkansas kingsnake. He was a bad snake. An evil snake. He could have been off killing the numerous poisionous snakes everyone is seeing this hot summer, but nooooooooooooo, he had to eat my birds. He probably wasn't killing any copperheads anyway, lazy coward was just eating baby birds, probably baby rabbits, too, and other tiny baby creatures. Lazy worthless snake. Bet he never even killed a rat in his life. Good for nuthin' snake.

Damn snakes, anyway. I was having trouble getting Melody Ranch's copperhead in the lap story out of my head, and now this!

I hear they don't have snakes in Ireland. But I can't figure out how to get my Airstream over there.

Reba McEntire

Old 05-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #115
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have seen this thread for weeks now and avoided reading it. I could not resist this morning.

Snakes, rodents? snakes? rodents? In my trailer I want rodents? Snakes?

It is VERY BAD JUJU to kill a snake in Native culture.....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #116
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
They tell me several copperheads were killed at TOG, we saw none in ten days, just some water snakes in the creek. Jim
Old 05-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #117
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post

I hear they don't have snakes in Ireland. But I can't figure out how to get my Airstream over there.
Move to Hawaii. There are no snakes there. The weather is a darn sight nicer than either Ireland or Arkansas. In fact is is so nice you don't need a trailer to go camping.

Ken
Old 05-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Snakes alive! There are some toe-curling stories here.

"Move to Hawaii. There are no snakes there. The weather is a darn sight nicer...."

There are no snakes in Alaska or Antarctica either. As to the weather...

In all seriousness, was curious as to the other snakeless countries. They are Iceland, Ireland, Greenland and New Zealand. I was surprised at NZ since Australia is also an island and is populated by some of the world's most venemous biters. However, sea snakes have been seen visiting NZ's shores (but very rarely).
Old 05-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #119
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Hawaii? Thats what they said in Guam

The Brown Tree Snake on Guam
Old 05-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #120
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
And we were having such fun adding to an online persona over here that I got to feeling guilty.

I'm sticking to the tale of the lady with the custom .38-cal snake loads from hereon.

Post #101 [above] must have been written by someone else.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Another snake found in Airstream trailer today!

KYAirstream "Found a snake" in the Aistream trailer this evening and is wondering, "Anyone have any suggestions? [as to how it got in].
Old 09-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
So many ways! Go in the tongue- following the mice that use that hollow thing as their highway into the belly pan and then through any number of cracks, holes, etc., to come up into the house.
I had our 1992 pretty tight. Airstream always cuts a 2 inch hole for stuff that's 1 inch. I filled every place plumbing came in with spray foam - so much so that it leaked out of a belly pan seam once. I opened and looked at every square inch in the trailer that I could possibly get access to without removing the belly.

Still, the best way to prevent them, I think now, is to keep mice out. We use Decon in places our dog can never reach. We bang around a lot- routinely open cabinets, etc., and make the place feel unsafe for rodents and reptiles. We don't let our trailer sit in high grass, etc. and don't go long periods without using it. Never leave a sewer hose open - never. Dump & close the valve.

And yet - I know they CAN get in, probably, despite my best efforts. But I do everything I can to make it a place they do not want to be. There are mothballs in our underbelly. Still. I don't stick my hand in dark cabinets, storage, etc., without a flashlight & a good look. I don't trust this particular Stream yet, because there are areas in it I can't figure out how to snake proof.

Cats are good. Mice don't come in if they smell where a cat has been. A mongoose would be better!

Basically, nowadays, I've lived in one of our Airstreams or the other enough that I try not to think of it - much.

Fall is a bad time. Mice want to come in, and the snakes want the mice. Yuck. Hope I never find one in our trailer. I probably would be DONE with it.

Reba McEntire

Old 09-30-2013, 01:38 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Oh, forgot to say, under the steps, "stuff" can get in the underbelly. Also sometimes around utility boxes depending on the model. Some models, when the door is open and you're hooked up to electricity, there's a way inside. I get under the trailer and look! If there's a seam gap or anything, I close it.

Reba McEntire

Old 10-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
How snakes come in...

Quote:
So many ways! Go in the tongue- following the mice that use that hollow thing as their highway into the belly pan and then through any number of cracks, holes, etc., to come up into the house...

I know they CAN get in, probably, despite my best efforts. But I do everything I can to make it a place they do not want to be. There are mothballs in our underbelly. Still. I don't stick my hand in dark cabinets, storage, etc., without a flashlight & a good look. I don't trust this particular Stream yet, because there are areas in it I can't figure out how to snake proof...

Fall is a bad time. Mice want to come in, and the snakes want the mice. Yuck. Hope I never find one in our trailer. I probably would be DONE with it.
Yes, snakes can come in through the tongue. See AirForums thread:

Have you looked under your tongue?

and some seem to come and go magically... just ask Harry:

Harry Potter At The Reptile House
Old 10-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
And how we keep them out...

See how we keep the mice and snakes out:

Post #266, "SilverGate's Safari is Home at Last!"

(By covering the open ends of the A-frame rails under the tongue.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1353 Rail covering.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	196837  
Old 10-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Oh, forgot to say, under the steps, "stuff" can get in the underbelly. Also sometimes around utility boxes depending on the model. Some models, when the door is open and you're hooked up to electricity, there's a way inside. I get under the trailer and look! If there's a seam gap or anything, I close it.
Thanks for the tips everyone. I've taken time to seal openings with aluminum wool and aluminum door screen. What about the step though? Any suggestions for it while keeping it operational?