Old 04-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Yeah, Ken, I thought it was a copperhead at first, too. But isn't it a little skinny for a copperhead? The markings are silvery and black, I thought it looked like, but could be the light, and copperheads are brown and tan so they can be disguised completely in fallen leaves.
I worked for the state park system when I was a whippersnapper, and the copperheads we saw here in Arkansas were usually fat and brown and tan. But if this is a baby, I'm sure you may be right. Coloration may not be mature.

Maybe he'll come on again and enlighten us. Like I said, a snake is a damn snake! LOL

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:33 AM   #100
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
OK Rednax, please tell me this is not where Lawchick used a 416 double on a snake. I cant imagine anything in an airstream surviving that.
tim
T'would be the point, matey.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Ok guys- you know how I feel about snakes. However, during the Air Midwest rally at Branson, people started hollering, "snake, snake!!" Of course, that woke me up!

I walked over to the commotion and there, in the gravel road was the biggest black rat snake I've ever seen. Captain Donut was chasing it away from his trailer with a broom.

Almost immediately, people over by MY trailer started the same refrain! SNAKE!!!

Well, the record I saw was crashed, this one was even bigger- six foot and as big around as my wrist, or bigger!

Well, this one also fell victim to Don's broom. He half herded, half swept them both down to a timber retaining wall where we believed they lived.

Several more times we saw them around the campground as they continued their courtship. Strangely, I didn't feel like killing them and had walked up within a few feet of them. They were totally non-aggressive, even while being chased away. I must admit, they were beautiful.

Sadly, one day as they were romancing alongside the road, a jerk staying in the villas managed to hit the smaller one with his car, causing mortal wounds.

That's when we all learned something new about snakes! The larger one wouldn't leave it's mate! First it tried to get her/him off the road. Then, as the wounded snake began showing pain, holding open her mouth, etc., the mate laid her/his head over the hurt one, and tried to cover it with his big body! The single time this giant black snake showed even a tiny bit of aggression was when we got very close to see how bad the wounds were. He cocked his neck in warning, but never striked at us.

It was so pitiful and sad. Because of the intense suffering, we sent for a park staffer to euthanize the hurt one.

He had to remove the protective mate with a rake first. Even after the other was removed, he kept coming back to the road looking for his mate. We shooed him away lest he be hit, too.

He stayed around a day or two, then must have returned to the woods. We didn't see him again. It was a very sad thing to see! Who knew a damn snake could care about another?

The photos are below. I guess I won't be killing every snake I encounter anymore! Lesson learned.

However - the poisonous ones.... Probably still bye-bye. We have way too many copperheads in Arkansas. I will continue to feed those lead!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-735527170.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	478.2 KB
ID:	157979
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2605151063.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	157981   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1528656275.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	456.4 KB
ID:	157982  

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #102
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Nicely done, Lawchick.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #103
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I just saw that Greatstuff makes a foam called pestblock? It has a bitter taste to it so the mice et al won't chew on it.

Lawchick, never thought I'd tear up over snakes, cool story."
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I still have heebie jeebies

I mentioned this incident on another thread, however, I am still suffering after effects.

After working around the Ranch cleaning up storm damage last week, I hooked up the Cloud and took it to Camping World about 15 miles away. Made arrangements for work and went out to get into the truck and move the Cloud to the work area. As I slid into the drivers seat an 18 inch long Copperhead fell out of the over door area around the rubber weather seal. It landed on my neck/shoulder and fell into my lap. I hit all four corners of the inside of the truck and ended up kicking the snake out onto the ground.

Best guess is that it came in thru the crack at the bottom of the doors and worked itself up to the top of the door. I doubt if I can get comfortable with sleeping in the Cloud for a while...I sure am not at ease when I get in the truck nowadays.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #105
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You ladies are missing an opportunity here to save these skins for that purse or shoes you always wanted.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I mentioned this incident on another thread, however, I am still suffering after effects.

After working around the Ranch cleaning up storm damage last week, I hooked up the Cloud and took it to Camping World about 15 miles away. Made arrangements for work and went out to get into the truck and move the Cloud to the work area. As I slid into the drivers seat an 18 inch long Copperhead fell out of the over door area around the rubber weather seal. It landed on my neck/shoulder and fell into my lap. I hit all four corners of the inside of the truck and ended up kicking the snake out onto the ground.

Best guess is that it came in thru the crack at the bottom of the doors and worked itself up to the top of the door. I doubt if I can get comfortable with sleeping in the Cloud for a while...I sure am not at ease when I get in the truck nowadays.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #106

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
~~
The photos are below. I guess I won't be killing every snake I encounter anymore! Lesson learned.
~~
Who are you, and what have you done with Carol?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #107
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Preserve your position at the top of the food chain. Let the snakes eat your mice, then you eat the snakes. Can't speak for all snakes, but rattlesnake is good eating. Just ask anyone who has ever attended the Mangum Rattlesnake Derby in Mangum, OK, 'bout 10 miles from where I grew up. Don't let anybody kid you, though; snake doesn't EVER taste like chicken. Opinions differ, but since I moved to Louisiana, I'm convinced rattlesnake tastes like alligator.

Plus, a professionally stuffed rattlesnake from a taxidermist makes a good anti-mouse scarecrow. Anti-burglar, too!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #108
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Its not safe inside anymore.

BBC News - Rattlesnake bites customer in Wal-Mart

14 May 2012 Last updated at 22:21 ET

Rattlesnake bites customer in Wal-Mart
Old 05-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #109
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Its not safe inside anymore.

BBC News - Rattlesnake bites customer in Wal-Mart

14 May 2012 Last updated at 22:21 ET

Rattlesnake bites customer in Wal-Mart
Again? The same story— almost word-for-word— aired a year ago, on April 15, 2011, in Springdale, Arkansas. Man Bitten By Venomous Snake At Walmart - Local News Story - KHBS NW Arkansas The Springdale story was later proven to be a hoax. This new incident in Clarkston, Washington will probably prove to be a hoax as well. This new guy would have done better to claim it happened in Home Depot. Walmart has already been victimized once by this story; they won't fall for it again.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Even though I am scared of snakes (although I'm getting better) those black snakes are beautiful. Sad story.

I used to have a email pal in N. Carolina. He had lots of snakes on his property - blacks and copperheads. He also grew quite fond of one black snake who would kill the copperheads - like he was trying to protect my friend.

His dog would play with the blacksnake, which the snake didn't really like. Every day the black snake would come to my friend's yard on his daily patrol but would try to slither through the tall grass without the dog seeing him. Every few feet the snake would poke his head up like a submarine periscope checking to see if the dog was there. My friend would always get a good laugh out of this.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
...oh, another snake hoax that did the rounds years ago. A customer said he was trying on a Taiwanese made jacket at Walmart and felt a prick under his arm. He took the jacket off and saw something moving underneath the lining. So, he took his knife and sliced the jacket open and a Taipan fell out.

Was a total hoax, but sure scared the pants (or jackets!) off many shoppers.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
....sorry, lol!.....just thought of something else.

Was flying to Australia years ago. Just before landing they showed a film about the poisonous snakes and spiders there. The first day in Oz, I was cutting through a deserted lot (in flip flops) on my way to a shopping mall and something bit my toe!

Oh great.... first day here and I'm going to drop dead.

Whatever bit me was non-venomous, obviously.