Old 01-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #29
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Its not so much that they can get in

The real problem as I see it isn't that the snakes can get in so much as it is nearly impossible for them to leave again. Even though snakes have relatively primitive brains, they do know fear and anger. Being trapped can drive them into mad rages causing them to seek out and repeatedly strike any source of heat (thats how they track food you see). Its kinda sad from the stand point of a snake. But I wouldn't worry too much, as far as you know its a rare occurrence, like loosing your keys, that happens to very few people.........

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #30
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
...just step on it....
mmm thought about that but I can't get my leg half way up a wall..and if you flick they make a landing and run off..
The odd thing...you can be sitting minding your own business in half a trance Like I was ..and you always spot them in the corner of your eye..no matter where they are ..2 am..on my own..downstairs..eyeball twitches to the right ..thumping great spider..not moving..then it galloped past me at a great speed of knots..over my bag..under the welsh dresser ..out of sight ..I swear it was wearing hob nailed boots..Hansx1..na..your exaggerating
next night..earlier..I had witnesses ..same thing from right to left..Hans waghhh !!! It changed route so He cornered it and adopted his glass and paper method..then dropped it by the door..uh !! we were unsure as to whether it was this side or that..he swears it was out, well he would to shut me up, I think it was in..
It was a hairy one ..an illegal immigrant from a banana boat

Old 01-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #31
Trailer Trash Trez

1968 22' Safari
Rustic Pond , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen
Last November the Verizon guy came to check our phone lines. My wife and him go down the cellar and 2 seconds later come running up the stairs like 2 little girls from Arkansas. There was a 4 foot black snake coiled around the wires where they come into the house. I went down and took him out to the back field. The last thing I saw he was heading straight back towards the house. Sal.
it's just not as common in massatucky... other then pet pythons getting loose... eating a cat or two... I'd be more freaked from a spider... they are nasty little suckers
Old 01-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Lawchick, I stand corrected; I guess they aren't pulling your leg -- Yikes!
Old 01-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Lawchick, this may not help if you have a true phobia, but a little bit of perspective may be helpful.

If we were to poll all of the airforums members who have NOT had a snake/spider/mouse/bear (whatever) in their trailer, you would see how uncommon it truly is. Much of this is regional.

With instant, worldwide communication, we have access to so much that 100 years ago we would be ignorant of. You would not likely have heard any of the stories that have been posted here.
Sometimes we know too much? Maybe some of what we "know" isn't even true??
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Ohhhh, you guys are killing me here.
You have pretty much ensured Mister will never get a good night's sleep in the Stream! Ya'll can now have a watch party as I turn on the old mag light every five minutes to search. And you even made it where I can't go potty! Ah, you're a bad bunch - I should fit in nicely.

I AM a brave, courageous ole Arkie gal, when it comes to anything that walks on feet - ask Mister - but when it comes to something that crawls on the belly and sneaks through the smallest of cracks, can be up high or down low, etc., it's Biblical - I'm terrified of the horrid things! Remember Genesis? No love between women and snakes. Makes perfect sense to me that the devil came to Eve as a snake. What I don't understand is why she would sit there and let him talk to her!

Ya'll are going to have a lot of fun with me at any Rally where I am in attendance, aren't ya'?

Remember, tho', I'm armed and I can shoot a mosquito's tweeter off at 50 yards! LOL So, don't skeer me too awful! I'm so newly retired I still reach for it if something even slightly alarms me!! LOL

I know a police department that has a large hole blown out of it's concrete floor because someone thought it would be funny as hell to place a very realistic snake at the feet of a state trooper who had a reputation of being terrified of snakes. Unlike with you guys, I KNEW not to let my fellow blue suits know of my snake phobia - I had more sense back then. Senile now, I guess, for even asking YOU guys and letting you know my fear!! Anyway, the trooper looked down, started an upward trajectory higher than anyone could believe, drew his gun while going on said upward trajectory and by the time his ,jtted booted feets hits the floor, he's done blew a chunk out of public property. Scared the dickens out of the prankster, too...he thought he would die from a richochet, but he didn't, he died from the beating the trooper gave him.....lol, not really. But the rest is true!

The way this trooper (gawd, I hope he doesn't read this) got said reputation as madly afraid of serpents is he stopped a car along an ole wooded highway. While he was talking to the lady speeder, a big ole snake came out from under the car near his standing place. He immediately blew hell out of the snake. When he was calm enough, his attention turned back to the lady in the car, who had fainted dead away when he fired his weapon so close to her head! He thought for a second he'd killed her!! Getting her roused, she came around and said, "I knew Arkansas troopers were bad, but I didn't know you'd shoot someone for speeding." He had to show her the snake before she understood why he had discharged a 357 (the weapon back then) three feet from her head!! LOL She didn't tell on him, so he got to keep his badge so he could make history and a hole in the PD floor a few years later!

So, don't skeer me unless you've frisked me first!
I LOVE this group and this forum...hope I get to meet all you clowns in the future.

Who's going to be first to sit up with me all night because I can't quit thinking about these sneak stories?
Mister says that's a rubber snake, you bad thing!!!
Carol, aka NoSnakeWoman

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Lawchick, this may not help if you have a true phobia, but a little bit of perspective may be helpful.

If we were to poll all of the airforums members who have NOT had a snake/spider/mouse/bear (whatever) in their trailer, you would see how uncommon it truly is. Much of this is regional.

With instant, worldwide communication, we have access to so much that 100 years ago we would be ignorant of. You would not likely have heard any of the stories that have been posted here.
Sometimes we know too much? Maybe some of what we "know" isn't even true??
Finally, a voice of reason. Thanks Fyrzowt.

They are really extremely shy creatures. They work harder at avoiding contact than people do, even those with phobias. After all, the snakes see us as much bigger.

As far as the Glock goes, perhaps you ought to consider the "one shot, one kill" motto. At least to keep the repairs manageable.

I do understand the phobia, though. Years ago I worked with a guy who was an EMT and a Fireman. This was a guy who wasn't afraid of God or the Devil or just about anything. We worked in a shop that repaired farm equipment. One afternoon he came back into the shop looking like he had been beaten. He was bloody and bruised all over. He had been working under a combine out in a field. One of the common sounds in shops is a slight hissing from leaky air hoses or couplers.

He had been lying under the combine for about 45 minutes when he realized that he was in the middle of a field and there wasn't an air hose in miles. He looked over and the "hissing" was a sidewinder rattling. Panicked, he sat up, banged his head, fell back down, sat up, banged his head, fell down,...you get the idea. Finally he "bounced" out from under the combine. He came back to the shop and then went home for the day. He dealt with the combine the next day.

At least no shots were fired and no public property was damaged.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Lawchick, could you kindly post your camping whereabouts at all times? I have no fear of snakes, but am terrified of people who brag about their trigger fingers.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #37
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Finally, a voice of reason. Thanks Fyrzowt.
Kill joy

and the
My Blog

Old 01-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Kill joy
Which - me or Vswingfield?
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #39
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Voices of reason may well be, well reasonable, but they are rarely fun at a party.

and the
My Blog

Old 01-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #40
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
...I have no fear of snakes, but am terrified of people who brag about their trigger fingers.
hi kid, long time no read...

and those were my thoughts exactly.

i also don't wanna be anywhere near a state trooper who shoots at stuff crawling around in the car...

while the clueless driver sits in the field of fire.

it might just be french fries or curly q taters or fishing worms.

and many folks travel with pet snakes, they are clean, seldom fart and easy to keep.

Quote:
....Maybe some of what we "know" isn't even true??
hi fyrz' again long time no read...

so r u suggesting that...

-tossing dryers sheets everywhere,
-using sonic mouse gizmos,
-hanging deer whistles on the truck bumper or
-wearing a copper bracelet...

might not work?
________

at least some of these strange threads are diggin' out the old time posters...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I had a lovely snakeskin in the trailer when I went to visit her in the spring. It was a black snake probably 3-4 ft. long. I don't mind snakes in the least, but I would add that if you're not hanging around in the same place -especially in tall grass or such, you probably won't have too many critters. My trailer had been sitting in a grass field/yard for a few years, so that snake had time to figure out a good place to hide.
When I start working on the trailer, I'll be keeping an eye out for the small chance she's hibernating in there. That will be one surprised snake that travelled 800 miles in her sleep! Good thing the climate in New England is similar to the mountains in North Carolina. She can fit right in and find plenty to eat- and a new place to live!

Rae

Sent from my iPhone using AIR Forums

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Kill joy
Well yeah, but I did balance it with a story about a friend banging himself up against the bottom of a combine. Trust me, it was funny.