Old 04-19-2015, 11:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Can 30' Airstreams fit into most State Parks?

We're downsizing from a 43' diesel pusher to a 2016 30' Flying Cloud.

In the past, we pretty much avoided most State Parks due to the size of our coach.

Now, we're wondering if -generally speaking- State Park Campgrounds will be an available camping option for us when traveling. Are most of the parks able to handle a 30' Airstream?

Old 04-19-2015, 11:30 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
You may find this interesting: http://www.parks.ca.gov/RVlength
From I have seen, above 25' trailers will be more restricted in Forrest and national park campgrounds.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
DHart

You will be about 52'-55' long if you pull with a crew cab as we do. If you go any state park site you will not that many sites are restricted to 25', that said there are sites that can accommodate larger rigs such as 30' AS but when we had a 30' in the past a 38' MoHo and now another 30' AS we have always made reservations as long in advance as possible to make sure. Florida is an example, most parks have sites for our 30' AS, but they are limited in number.

Enjoy
paiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
This is very park specific, but the idea of making reservations in advance is critical. Also, talking with someone on the phone about the sites, can sometimes allow a longer unit than officially listed. Like my 44' moho, parked in a pull through with both ends out in the road slightly. Ands, in a couple parks, I was given a space which was impossible to park due to the length of the moho, but was allowed to try.

The advantage of the AS is no slides, thus only a width of 8'6", so in a lot of spaces which are 20 feet wide, the TV goes down alongside the AS. Or, the TV can park somewhere nearby.

I have a 30' and anticipate no real problem..... but, I may be surprised. And, congratulations on your new AS.
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Our trailer is actually 28 feet long, despite being labelled as a 27 footer, and we have never had an issue in any campground (public or private.) From what I can tell, we would not have had any issues with a 30 footer either. Most campground websites (including SP's) are pretty clear about the size of the rig you can fit in a space. In general (i.e., 99.99% of the time) you DO NOT need to add the length of your tow vehicle to the rig length to determine if it will fit. The tow vehicle can usually be parked alongside the trailer. So if a site says it can accommodate a 30 foot rig, that is for the trailer alone and does not include the tow vehicle.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:55 AM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have never had an issue with our 30'er. I have seen some sites that MAY have been an issue if your plans were to keep your trailer hitched up like for a one nite stand with a quick getaway in the morning. That has been a few and far between thing though.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Never had an issue.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I know that this issue is definitely park-specific. And I don't expect the site to be long enough for both TV and trailer.

It sounds like there will be many State Parks where we would be able to park the 30' Flying Cloud, with the Denali HD detached.

Thanks for all the input, folks.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Fresno , California
We've taken the 30' to yellowstone and many state parks throughout California and never had a problem. Iv'e only found one RV park in Big Sur that had a 28' limit and it was privately owned.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I had 30 ft AS now 31 ft AS since 1967 have never had prob. any place with length but always unhooked, some spots had to other, would not have to unhook. I do not look for pull thrus just take what is avlb. Bill
Old 04-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
We're downsizing from a 43' diesel pusher to a 2016 30' Flying Cloud.

In the past, we pretty much avoided most State Parks due to the size of our coach.

Now, we're wondering if -generally speaking- State Park Campgrounds will be an available camping option for us when traveling. Are most of the parks able to handle a 30' Airstream?
I have had a 30' Airstream for five years. I travel to state parks.

State parks vary from one state to the next and from one park to the next. However, I have never encountered a situation where I could not stay at the park of my choice because the trailer was too long.

Campsite pad lengths vary from one campsite to the next within a park. Sometimes we have to unhook in order to fit, although this is unusual. Though rare, in my experience, there are campgrounds that require the tow vehicle to fit on the campsite pad.

Rarely, we see drive-in campsites shorter than 30'. Often these are sites intended for tent camping, or are specifically geared towards pop-ups. Sometimes we encounter sites that are, by campground policy, tent-only, even though we could fit. Sometimes we park in an area that is predominantly tents, with small pads, where we get the hairy eyeball from neighbors who think that gossamer fabric is acceptable but aluminum is not.

We do stay at some campsites where maneuvering a 30' trailer into the site requires a certain degree of skill, because of narrow access roads with sharp turns.

I don't know whether this helps or not but it's the best way I can think of to answer your question.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've not ever had a problem in Missouri State Parks. Typically they ask you the total length of the tow vehicle and your trailer since they want both units stored within the confines of the site. Some sites are not wide enough to allow you to park next to your trailer so that is why they look for total length. I usually ask for about 51-55' and find no difficulty in getting reservations for that length. Usually the more primitive campgrounds with minimal or no hookups usually are the ones that have some length limitations.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
To MsMoto's point which I forgot about is make the reservation on line if you want and call and talk to the park. We did that in Maine for a park that said 25', but we wanted the site on the water for our 30'. I talked to a nice lady ranger she said "no problem", but you'll need to unhook your bars and ease it on down the hill and then use your four wheel drive and ease it up the hill to get it out then hook the bars back up, but once in there you'll have lots or room. Worked like a charm.
paiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #14
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
It really depends where and how you like to camp, but if the parks take revs., they will put you into a suitable site. Oftentimes the older (CCC-vintage) state, national park, and forest service CGs do have spaces for longer units, but only in limited numbers. Most of the sites will be smaller, unless they've been recently reno'ed. A lot of state parks have on-line reservation systems that allow you to choose your site, complete with info on its dimensions.