Old 03-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
A campsite rated for a particular length can vary quite a bit. In my experience campsites in some older campsites National Parks can be pretty tight. The tightest I remember is Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone. The rangers can be sticklers. I have seen rigs being asked to move on more than one occasion because their wheels were not on the blacktop. I have no doubt there are valid reasons for the strictness most of which go back to people being idiots.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
A campsite rated for a particular length can vary quite a bit. In my experience campsites in some older campsites National Parks can be pretty tight. The tightest I remember is Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone. The rangers can be sticklers. I have seen rigs being asked to move on more than one occasion because their wheels were not on the blacktop. I have no doubt there are valid reasons for the strictness most of which go back to people being idiots.
I can see how that could happen at Fishing Bridge. Those are some of the tightest camping spots I've seen ( we usually camp national parks and forests and state parks). There may be problems in some of the older CA State parks too. We're were in some 30 ft sites and it was a real squeeze. Then we've been at sites that were rated smaller and we had tons of room to spare. Hard to know before you get there but like n2916s we've never had a problem although we do it rarely.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Berrien Springs , Michigan
Great answers. Thank you!

Audacity.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I'm surprised no one mentioned some of the restrictions are based on access to the sites rather than the site itself.

Winding or narrow roads limiting back-up movement can be problems.
I would call and ask why the restriction.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I put my 31' in a 25' space.....don't ask and don't tell
Old 03-20-2016, 03:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Google Earth is your friend!

When in doubt, check it out.

Fishing Bridge, by the way, is run by the concessionaire, Xanterra, and their motivation is the most profit per acre so the sights are really tightly laid out.

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thanks, this is helpful info which I will keep for reference. But shouldn't we be keeping in mind the other campers who, like me, don't like to see overtall, overlong fifth wheels with duallys squeezed into tiny campsites originally meant for tenters (who then complain that the trees should be trimmed so they can get in)? We aren't the ones towing these monstrosities. But maybe we are acting like them.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I regularly hang the engine over the campsite's concrete bumper if that gets me to a more level situation. If course I pay attention to trees back there. We did the same thing with out mpg - once. That trailer had the door behind the wheels, and getting in and out was a bit of a challenge. Fortunately we were in that spot only one night.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors4me View Post
Thanks, this is helpful info which I will keep for reference. But shouldn't we be keeping in mind the other campers who, like me, don't like to see overtall, overlong fifth wheels with duallys squeezed into tiny campsites originally meant for tenters (who then complain that the trees should be trimmed so they can get in)? We aren't the ones towing these monstrosities. But maybe we are acting like them.
Are you making a general statement or one about your potential next door neighbor. Personally if someone can jimmy a mega camper into a tent site there are more important things for me to worry about. That's the management's job and it's fun to pull out a chair, a beer and a cigar and watch the show. I am more concerned about noisy party all night, yappy dog and screaming kid neighbors. I put a tuba out on my site in full view of campsite hunters. It usually works. and if it doesn't we can have an all nighter discussing the finer points of the tuba.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #24
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Note on Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone. Not all the sites are created equal. Additionally, some are more difficult to back into for parking.

When we looked at the web site, I thought the sites were perpendicular to the entry drive. When we got there, the sites were slanted, which helped us, but lower areas beside the pads and trees made it difficult to position the trailer. We suspect we got one of the shorter sites because of the 23. On the other loops the sites had fewer holes between pads and the ability to overhang or swing a bit. The problem being the trees that boxed in some sites and if you do overhang it may steal some TV parking on the site behind.

We saw a few folks park their TV on the side of the access road. This is prohibited, but worked for a few days. Then the hosts showed up and made the rounds to enforce the parking rules. Everyone smiled and the world kept turning.

Seems like making it work helps everyone. Just be warned FB is tight and YS is beautiful. Pat
Old 03-20-2016, 06:34 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Good point on access being a concern, especially in our state parks. last year I reserved the last RV site at Harris Beach State Park which was a 22'. I squeezed our 25' in but had my TV been our new, longer wheelbase, I would not have been able to get in because the road was very narrow with heavy shrubbery on both sides. I always look at the campground map to see how the site is angled to the road but it doesn't mean there is room to swing your TV around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1315.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	259143   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1320.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	482.1 KB
ID:	259144  

Old 03-20-2016, 07:26 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Phoenix , Arizona
Most 30' sites that we have camped at fit our 30' plus our TV. Then there are those where we have trouble backing in to. All goes with the territory.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:22 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Lumatic, I love the tuba! Will you play it for me? Seriously, I had to examine my thinking on this. We happen to have a huge fifth wheel next to us right now. The folks are quiet and respectful and the site is a large paved RV site. I have no problem except my personal irritation at the neon lights on the front of the trailer. But I really don't like when campers park or make ruts on the grass because their rig is too big.

Good discussion here. I don't mean to cause controversy.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:17 AM   #28
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned some of the restrictions are based on access to the sites rather than the site itself.

Winding or narrow roads limiting back-up movement can be problems.
I would call and ask why the restriction.
Agreed 100%. I was reading the responses and was going to post the exact same thing.

We've never had an issue with a spot itself, but have had difficulties getting there or getting backed in.