Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Jacksons Gap , Alabama
Camping World maybe not so RV friendly

On a recent trip to the Smokey Mtn's, I was held up in traffic in Atlanta. The Camping World Chattanooga store is on the way and I stopped in their parking lot at 10:15 PM to park overnight. At 11:45 PM the host of the adjacent campground knocked on my door and advised me that overnight parking was prohibited and that I would have to move to the campground at $22 a night or leave. I chose to leave. I have previously stopped overnight at other Camping World locations and the web site for this one in Chattanooga listed 'overnight parking' in the services section. I contacted Camping World thru the web and received a call from a person at the Chattanooga store saying they were sorry about the rudeness of the campground host and that the web site was being changed about overnight parking. I was told that the dealer does not allow overnight parking. I contacted Camping World corporate to inquire about the policy on 'overnight parking'. I received a reply that policies at Camping World stores on private property are determined by the property owner. Also, local ordinances may not permit overnight parking. It was suggested that I check with each Camping World store that I might be visiting about overnight parking. I suspect that many of these property owners are RV dealers and campground owners. It seems ironic that an RV service and product supplier would not be more accommodating to the customer that they rely on for revenue. I am confused about the Camping World organization structure and their policies. I am now discouraged from buying anything from Camping World.
Frank
Frank McFee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
It's not an easy topic for me to set my fingers on immediately, but we have had some good documentation in threads about communities or even states (eg, Maine) where courtesy camping at WalMart or CW is forbidden by law.

I was under the impression that Holiday Inn Express allowed pets nationwide and made a reservation at one early this last spring. You can guess the rest. We arrived after 6:00PM and they were kind enough not to charge us for our reservation. Actually referred us to a local motel that allowed pets. Kudos to the Emporia, KS, H.I. Express.

So like anything... your results may vary.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
It is my understanding that Camping World was sold approximately 5-7 years ago by its founder. At that time, they owned all of their locations. The new owner has done a lot of franchising of regular RV dealers into camping world outlets.

There are many more outlets now but, not "company owned" locations in many cases.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McFee View Post
On a recent trip to the Smokey Mtn's, I was held up in traffic in Atlanta. The Camping World Chattanooga store is on the way and I stopped in their parking lot at 10:15 PM to park overnight. At 11:45 PM the host of the adjacent campground knocked on my door and advised me that overnight parking was prohibited and that I would have to move to the campground at $22 a night or leave. I chose to leave. I have previously stopped overnight at other Camping World locations and the web site for this one in Chattanooga listed 'overnight parking' in the services section. I contacted Camping World thru the web and received a call from a person at the Chattanooga store saying they were sorry about the rudeness of the campground host and that the web site was being changed about overnight parking. I was told that the dealer does not allow overnight parking. I contacted Camping World corporate to inquire about the policy on 'overnight parking'. I received a reply that policies at Camping World stores on private property are determined by the property owner. Also, local ordinances may not permit overnight parking. It was suggested that I check with each Camping World store that I might be visiting about overnight parking. I suspect that many of these property owners are RV dealers and campground owners. It seems ironic that an RV service and product supplier would not be more accommodating to the customer that they rely on for revenue. I am confused about the Camping World organization structure and their policies. I am now discouraged from buying anything from Camping World.
Frank
Frank.... I understand that there was some confusion with the information on Camping World's site about overnight parking. The part I don't understand is when you were advised of the misunderstanding you did not pay the $22 and stay at the campground. The Good Sam site lists the name of the facility as Camping World RV Sales & Campground. I don't think that Camping World deserve a bad rap for this situation. I find it difficult to understand why the owner of a $40k + Airstream would not pay the owner of the facility a camping fee of $22 to stay overnight. Would you expect a KOA to allow you to park in their lot for free?
Old 06-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I suspect that they have the lot open for overnighters primarily because of the relatively large numbers of folks who go to CW for repairs to the RV. If you need to overnight for convenience (and not for repairs), then it might be better to seek out the local bigbox store.

Lynn
Old 06-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
You will run into this in many locations where local ordnance does not allow overnight parking.

Many stories about parking at WalMart and police banging on the RV door at 2 AM telling the RV'er to move on or get a ticket. In every case the RV'er did not check with the local management before parking.

Hard to blame CW if overnight parking is prohibited by local ordnance.

Just like Wal-Mart and other places that allow overnight parking you need to check with the local management to find their policy and city ordnance.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I would not have paid $22.00 either. At 10:30 at night I am not paying camping fees, I want a parking lot or a truck stop. The obvious assumption is the lot belonged to camping world. It probably was not obvious that the near by campground was owned by the same. I don't argue their right to the policy, just would have driven on as Frank did. ( The TN. welcome center is a mile further north)
I have not been happy with the camping world situation as they have grown and started franchising. I guess one of the disadvantages of being a long time RV owner is I can remember when they were one store. Camping at the adjoining Beach Bend Park was $ .10 ( yes. 10 cents) and they would install anything for $5.00
Of course the one advantage now is there are a lot more of them
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I can see your point of view, Frank, but I can't blame CW, they gotta be Capitalists and make a buck, and $22 isn't unreasonable, especially if you have full hookup-you didn't indicate whether they did or not; I've stayed in dives for a lot more. If the campground host was rude, that's one thing, but it doesn't sound like he was from your post.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Chill, brother...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McFee View Post
Frank
The issue may not be with CW Corporate as much as it is with the type of liability insurance the owner has for his Chattanooga store. Local criminal activity in the area may make it cost-ineffective to have insurance coverage to accommodate the occasional RV'er looking for a free place to park.

I'd give them a "buy" on this one, Frank.

...my $0.02

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
We just have to realize this is not The Land Of The Free anymore...
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
For information, Wal-Mart in Spearfish, SD by City Ordinance, over night camping on their lot is forbidden.

On our current 3 month trip in our Airstream I had a situation come up where I need a repair on the AS. Called Camping World's at several different locations and was told I would have to make a reservation 4-5 days in advance to scedual my repair. We took our AS to another RV facility and was worked in for repair upon our arrival. This has happened twice in the last 3 years where we were unable to get something repaired at Camping World without make an appointment several days in advance.

I have also found them to be a little on the high side when compared to other sources.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Yep, gaylejoe, when we were living in Denton with a CW just a couple of miles away, we found that their prices weren't that great at all. Once in a while with the Prez Club discount you could get a good deal, but the more general state was higher prices, including on repairs to appliances.

Lynn
Old 07-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Limited
South West BC , British Columbia
On our way south to California in January 2010 from British Columbia we also had trouble finding a Walmart that would allow overnight parking. The two reasons given were too much local crime and full timers that lost their homes in the poor aconomy abusing the one night policy.

On our way home we stopped to shop at Camping World, this is a copy of an email to CW that was sent today July (were is the sunhine?) 5 2010.

"On May 14 2010 we purchased two patio recliners at the Burlington Washington Store. Receipt bar code 990053024xxxxxxxxx. Shortly after returning to Canada we received a promotional email announcing that our two Silver Ridge Recliners were on sale. I contacted the store and was told I had 3 months to come to the store and receive a credit for the difference. On June 25 2010 my wife was refused service at the Burlington Washington Store because the chairs were no longer on sale. I was not told that information. In the past we have received good service. A new fridge installed in our Airstream Trailer. A Honda 3000 generator. Many other purchases over the years. Please authorize a credit for the difference in price- 2 Silver Ridge Recliners- 2 @ $129.99 = $259.98
Sale Price 2 @ $89.99 = $179. 98
Please authorize a credit of $80.00
This request will be posted on Airstream Forums so that your customer service can be observed by hundreds of potential customers.
Jim Irwin"

1983 31' Limited
Jim and Lorraine
British Columbia
Kajendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach View Post
Frank.... I understand that there was some confusion with the information on Camping World's site about overnight parking. The part I don't understand is when you were advised of the misunderstanding you did not pay the $22 and stay at the campground. The Good Sam site lists the name of the facility as Camping World RV Sales & Campground. I don't think that Camping World deserve a bad rap for this situation. I find it difficult to understand why the owner of a $40k + Airstream would not pay the owner of the facility a camping fee of $22 to stay overnight. Would you expect a KOA to allow you to park in their lot for free?
I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
I think what you mean, or should mean, is that this is the land of the free, but not the free ride. Even if it is for just one night.

Quote:
It seems ironic that an RV service and product supplier would not be more accommodating to the customer that they rely on for revenue.
Uh, what revenue.

You wanted a free night of dry camping in what almost amounts to the driveway of a full hook-up camp ground. Seems that you were being unreasonable in wanting a freebie without spending money in the store or service center. I know many RV service centers will provide a "terra-port" such as the one at the factory service center in Jackson Center for their service customers free for the number of nights required by the service and this may be the case at this CW. If you aren't there for service, there would be no reason to assume that they would extend such a policy to a passer through.

The campground at this particular Camping World is a revenue stream for the store with full hook-ups, swimming pool, bath house, etc. and you were wanting to bypass the system and deny them the revenue they would be entitled to from any one else passing through.

I'm not trying to start anything, just my $.02.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Limited
South West BC , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajendo View Post
On our way south to California in January 2010 from British Columbia we also had trouble finding a Walmart that would allow overnight parking. The two reasons given were too much local crime and full timers that lost their homes in the poor aconomy abusing the one night policy.

On our way home we stopped to shop at Camping World, this is a copy of an email to CW that was sent today July (were is the sunhine?) 5 2010.

"On May 14 2010 we purchased two patio recliners at the Burlington Washington Store. Receipt bar code 990053024xxxxxxxxx. Shortly after returning to Canada we received a promotional email announcing that our two Silver Ridge Recliners were on sale. I contacted the store and was told I had 3 months to come to the store and receive a credit for the difference. On June 25 2010 my wife was refused service at the Burlington Washington Store because the chairs were no longer on sale. I was not told that information. In the past we have received good service. A new fridge installed in our Airstream Trailer. A Honda 3000 generator. Many other purchases over the years. Please authorize a credit for the difference in price- 2 Silver Ridge Recliners- 2 @ $129.99 = $259.98
Sale Price 2 @ $89.99 = $179. 98
Please authorize a credit of $80.00
This request will be posted on Airstream Forums so that your customer service can be observed by hundreds of potential customers.
Jim Irwin"
Jim Irwin,

Thank you for contacting Camping World. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. In accordance with Camping World’s Price Guarantee, shown below, we have issued a merchandise certificate for the difference in price on the item you purchased from us in the amount of $80. Your merchandise certificate will arrive by mail in 4-6 weeks. This will be mailed to your address.

"Our Price Guarantee
If an item you purchase from us goes on sale within 14 days from date of purchase, we will issue a merchandise certificate for the difference. Mail or bring us the dated advertisement and your receipt within 30 days of original purchase."

Thank you,

Camping World Customer Care

1983 31' Limited
Jim and Lorraine
British Columbia
Kajendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:12 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Freedom ain't free, brother...

Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post

... Sorry you feel that way, brother. But IMHO you've missed the point of the meaning; "The Land of the Free." Its all about freedom to do what one chooses - not about getting free-bee entitlements.

In our land of the free and the home of the brave, the Tree of Liberty needs the blood of tyrants and patriots to keep our country's freedom.

Passing up on staying at Walmart or CW parking lots because they might be located in high-crime areas isn't necessarily a breech of "the land of the free" - its more like common sense.

My $0.02

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:44 AM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
my turn with $.02....

When I travel with my trailer the very last place I want to stay is in some big box parking lot or truck stop. The night time noise, the lights, the potential for night time visitors just does not appeal to me. I will find a quiet service road or church lot and stay there. This kind of overnighting is just done when traveling through and I am gone first thing in the morning.
Since most of you Walmart parkers end up buying stuff, it is not really free is it.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
my turn with $.02....

Since most of you Walmart parkers end up buying stuff, it is not really free is it.
This is my point about staying at Wal-Mart parking lots. I realize a lot of people need to restock and take this opportunity to do so and stay in the parking lot for "free". However, last year I attended the Florida State Rally solo. I planned to stay in the Wal-Mart parking lot for the night before arrival since it is a 10 hour drive from Atlanta and I knew I wouldn't arrive before the arrival attendees left their post for the day. My wife wasn't comfortable with me staying the parking lot so she went on-line and found a nearby State Park for me to overnight in. I arrived a little past 10 PM and hooked up to the water/electric and watched a little TV before going to bed. I didn't even unhook the tow vehicle.

The next morning I unhooked the water/electric after doing the dishes from breakfast and the previous night and after taking a shower. I also vacuumed the trailer so it would be clean and tidied if I had guest...which I did, BTW. I pulled to the dump station emptied the tanks and headed over to the Rally. All for $18. I know I would have spent more than that at Wal-Mart on supplies I really didn't need. But for my $18 I got a comfortable night's sleep knowing I was safe and secure and was able to take a shower and clean-up the trailer before heading out.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
I boil some of this discussion down to "Boondocking" vs. "Full or Partial Hook-ups". I have stayed at Wally Mart 3 separate nights, all without incident. Two of those nights over the road truckers also stayed in the same lot; I assume waiting for the dock to open, or maybe just catching a few hours of sleep. I always call ahead and talk to the manager to make sure over night parking is allowed. I was also comfortable with the areas I was staying. They were not in big cities, and I was not concerned with crime. It is of course a Boondocking experience, and I left the tow vehicle and trailer attached. I did not spend any money the next morning in the Big Box, and it is not a requirement. I believe this thread started off with the individual not calling ahead to check with Camping World, and then finding out it was not allowed by local ordinance. Bottom line, whether Wally Mart, Camping World, or whomever, call ahead. If you want to comfort and security of hook-ups at a campground, so be it. I stay at campgrounds too, but when I am just passing through, free Boondocking is free Boondocking.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Let me ask a slightly off-topic question: If the WBCCI were to operate a fairly large system of 50%-off RV parks (modeled on the Passport America system), would that cause you to want to stay there instead of, e.g., Walmart? (I ask only because I've been urging the WBCCI to start such a system.)

Lynn