Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2010, 04:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAB View Post
... Sorry you feel that way, brother. But IMHO you've missed the point of the meaning; "The Land of the Free." Its all about freedom to do what one chooses - not about getting free-bee entitlements.

In our land of the free and the home of the brave, the Tree of Liberty needs the blood of tyrants and patriots to keep our country's freedom.

Passing up on staying at Walmart or CW parking lots because they might be located in high-crime areas isn't necessarily a breech of "the land of the free" - its more like common sense.

My $0.02
Do you think I should quit listening to Glen Beck and Rush on the radio while working? They do tend to get me worked up though.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Let me ask a slightly off-topic question: If the WBCCI were to operate a fairly large system of 50%-off RV parks (modeled on the Passport America system), would that cause you to want to stay there instead of, e.g., Walmart? (I ask only because I've been urging the WBCCI to start such a system.)

Lynn
It probably would NOT bring me in just for grabbing 8 hours sleep, however it would influence me to stay in a private park, something we never do if it can be avoided, preferring those facilities operated by the various government entities.
We probably are not the average camper as I was a passport america member for 5 years and only used it once so it was a money loser for us.

Unfortunately in the case of the poster who started this thread he passed up a TA truck stop with RV parking, a Flying J , and a rest area in the 60 miles prior to stopping at this CW, plus the TN welcome center was only a couple miles up the road.
While I trade at CW I have never tried to overnight in one.
Lynn, we would go out of our way to visit your park if we were in the area
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:17 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I suspect that many are of the same opinion, Rick. I, too, would just pick a parking lot to get off the highway for a few hours' sleep (if we were to travel until late at night and toured an area that had big parking lots -- which we don't).

But my point is that, whether as destination or as overnight, a decent system of RV parks that offer 50% discounts to WBCCI members would sure be nice -- and would make me feel a bunch better about paying as much as we do for our membership.

Lynn
Old 07-07-2010, 06:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:

But my point is that, whether as destination or as overnight, a decent system of RV parks that offer 50% discounts to WBCCI members would sure be nice -- and would make me feel a bunch better about paying as much as we do for our membership.

Lynn
I would like to see a 50% off system also. Escapees does have a few. It would influence me in a destination area although by nature we are boondockers.
Finances are a factor. In the time I have been trailering private parks have risen in cost from $3 to 5 a nite to $25 to $50 and more. Unfortunately my income has not done the same.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:10 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
The almost tiresome repetition of this kind of discussion - at least to me - screams to the need for another, more basic tier of camping fee - a fee that is really just a limited, short-term parking fee - no hook-ups, maximum 12-hour stay - in for a sleep only - then gone.

The suggestion of a 50% WBCCI discount would be a great thing - but - in my view - it doesn't really address what has become an old issue that just isn't going to go away.

Thanks,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #26
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
RangerJay

The discussion has been going on since roughly 1918 or so when car camping became popular enough that the previously tolerated practice of setting up a tent on the edge of town became burdensome. Then, as now, the townsfolk were frustrated not by those adventurers by choice and travelers of means who arrived but rather by the camping movement being co-opted by those running from the law, responsibilities, or poverty.

The problem campground operators face is that the current regulatory environment discourages construction of overflow spaces without any hookups suitable for casual arrivals. Having another space, even without hookups, in a campground in Minnesota:

1) has to be factored into the design load for the sewage system.
2) must be lighted at night
3) must meet minimum site width (generally 50 feet) and setback requirements
4) unless a completely non-electric site, must have at least 30 amp service and counts toward the maximum number of non-50 amp sites allowed by the current electrical code

Other jurisdictions are similar. What this means is that campgrounds can't construct and build a business around $5 overnight stays.

I think many of us would like to again see a now-extinct form of campground -- close to the road, with a handful of sites, no amenities, and low rates. They used to exist but the regulatory environment has done away with them. State law here requires licensing and campgrounds have to be attended 24 hours, must have a dump station, must have drinking water, 50 amp to at least some sites, garbage pickup, showers, bathrooms, etc. Some of these laws date to an era when there was a lower overall degree of self-containment but I think the reality is that a no-services site would be prone to unsanitary conditions, people abandoning garbage, dumping tanks on the grass, and so on.

So we have the Wal-marts which fly under the radar - in Minnesota they can't have more than 4 rigs in the lot at once or by law it is a campground and subject to regulation as such.

And we have places like Pilot and Flying J that make it work as an add-on since they're attended anyway and want the extra business.

The laws are getting ever more restrictive with the wider public seeing RVs as a nuisance to be regulated rather than a legitimate form of recreation.

eubank, Rick, I'm not sure how a 50% wbcci discount would work. Would wbcci subsidize camping for its members? Where would the money come from? Few campgrounds would be willing to offer such a discount without a subsidy and if they did they would exclude busy times when they expected to be full.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Oh, I would think a WBCCI 50% would work in exactly the same way that Passport America does it:

Affiliates

Lynn
Old 07-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #28
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I see. The Passport program is discretionary, so campgrounds don't have to honor the rate if they expect to be full.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #29
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
I suspect that many are of the same opinion, Rick. I, too, would just pick a parking lot to get off the highway for a few hours' sleep (if we were to travel until late at night and toured an area that had big parking lots -- which we don't).

Lynn
I would actually go out of my way if they offered a TAC discount. WBCCI discount wouldn't apply in my case.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I would actually go out of my way if they offered a TAC discount. WBCCI discount wouldn't apply in my case.
Frank,

As a founding member of TAC, get in touch with the campgrounds and set it up. The campgrounds won't come to you.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I see. The Passport program is discretionary, so campgrounds don't have to honor the rate if they expect to be full.
Pretty much, I guess. The ones I've seen in the directory (online) just indicate blackout dates so that we know in advance when not to expect the 50% discount off the daily rate.

The major point is that setting this up wouldn't cost the WBCCI anything other than letters, emails, or phone calls directed to the many hundreds of RV parks listed in the passport directory. As far as listing them is concerned, that would involve a simple PDF file on the website, updated regularly, as needed. For those folks who do not do the internet, they could do it like some of the units do with their online vs. hard-copy newsletters: Pay an extra fee for a hard copy.

But the benefit to us members would be substantial, I think.

Lynn
Old 07-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
We just have to realize this is not The Land Of The Free anymore...
Carl, MaxAB is correct, I believe that you have a misconception of Land Of The Free.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
You all should ask yourself these questions, What would you do if you opened a business? Would you give everything away? How long would you have your business this way?

Now dont get me wrong I believe that campgrounds are getting a little carried away with the fees they charge, and eventually are going to price themselves out of business as everyone is going to go back to motels because of cost. But on the same token we all have to understand that in this day and age of regulations it costs money to operate, and governments/municipalities are going to get their fair share. As far as the day of the road side stop that used to exist, the above and people who dont have any curtosy to clean up after themselves caused them to go by the wayside.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote