Old 08-20-2007, 06:41 AM   #15
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
we have one of the largest shows every year about this time.

just west of baraboo. worth the visit.

Badger Steam & Gas Engine Club

john

Old 08-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
My Manure Story

In the spirit of this thread. When I was a teen I had a job at a local farm via a friend, Shaun. The manure scraper in the barn broken and would not be fixed for several weeks. For you non-farm types, the scraper runs along a drainway which is behind the cow and moves the manure to the waiting spreader.

The decision was made to have shaun and I shovel the drainway twice a day and put the poo in the spreader. Now shovelling poo requires a specific technique so you don't splash your friend on the other side. Lift, drift and place it the back of the spreader. This whole technique is learned and I only got the hang of it after I saw Shaun running up the barn. He came back and punched me hard in the chest. I asked him what the heck was going on and he said, "You Lifted, Drifted, but SPLASHED! I got poop in my mouth!!!!!"

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
That is one sweet JD your father has. Good on your brother for doing the resto. As my farm raised buddy used to say as he'd fire up his HD, he could sneak out of the house bright and early and go riding with us because his parents thought he said he was firing up the JD and by the time they caught on it was the bike instead of the tractor, and the two sounded so much alike, he was nothing but a trail of dust down the road to the highway by the time they caught on.

As Terry noted the thread title caught my eye and I really enjoyed the pictures. Being originally from a farming community this brought back a lot of great memories.

Barry
Old 08-20-2007, 09:00 AM   #18
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
This thread smells like sh*t!

Boy isn't it amazing how many folks here have up-close and personal stories about manure and manure spreaders!

Mine was that when I was about 12, my uncle let me drive the International H for the VERY first time in the barn yard of the "other" place. He had borrowed the neighbor's JD spreader and had it sitting in the barn yard among the stock. I don't even remember exactly what I was doing, but he told me to stop the tractor. I didn't exactly have the hang of the clutch/brake thing down, and I mashed down on the clutch with all my might. The tractor slowed greatly, but to my horror rolled down a slight incline and into the gear box cover of the brand new Deere spreader. It scratched the shield and gave it quite a bend. It also popped one of the tires on the "H" narrow axle. I was crushed, first that I hadn't figured out how to drive properly, and then, of course that I'd damaged the tractor and the spreader.

My uncle (bless his soul) took it all in stride.

Obviously one of those moments you never forget!

Roger
Old 08-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Boy isn't it amazing how many folks here have up-close and personal stories about manure and manure spreaders!

Mine was that when I was about 12, my uncle let me drive the International H for the VERY first time in the barn yard of the "other" place. He had borrowed the neighbor's JD spreader and had it sitting in the barn yard among the stock. I don't even remember exactly what I was doing, but he told me to stop the tractor. I didn't exactly have the hang of the clutch/brake thing down, and I mashed down on the clutch with all my might. The tractor slowed greatly, but to my horror rolled down a slight incline and into the gear box cover of the brand new Deere spreader. It scratched the shield and gave it quite a bend. It also popped one of the tires on the "H" narrow axle. I was crushed, first that I hadn't figured out how to drive properly, and then, of course that I'd damaged the tractor and the spreader.

My uncle (bless his soul) took it all in stride.

Obviously one of those moments you never forget!

Roger
It's good to see you weren't in - oops, I'd better not say that

Barry
Old 08-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
John Deere stands behind all of their products, except their manure spreaders.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote