Old 07-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' International
Flint , Michigan
Hey all

PLease don't judge Michigan by one campground owner, was the situation handled correctly?...not in my opinion. Would I stay there again? probably not. We do however have some of the finest state campgrounds you will ever visit and I hope you come back and do just that....stay with us and enjoy this beautiful state.

Dan

Old 07-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #30
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Pretty much what our backflow friend said: There might be an issue with these kinds of devices, but the situaton was mishandled nonetheless.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpapa View Post
Hey all

PLease don't judge Michigan by one campground owner, was the situation handled correctly?...not in my opinion. Would I stay there again? probably not. We do however have some of the finest state campgrounds you will ever visit and I hope you come back and do just that....stay with us and enjoy this beautiful state.

Dan

Old 07-25-2009, 06:57 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Dan:

We're definitely going to be back camping in Michigan. We are just trying to get to the bottom of why these devices permitted in all other states are banned in Michigan (supposedly). None of the other campgrounds in Michigan that we have surveyed are aware of this regulation. Will keep you posted on what we find out.

I agree with you that there are many fine campgrounds in your great state. We even have a U of M logo painted on the front top of our Airstream.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
I agree with this statement. No matter how careful one is:

"People and equipment can fail. I feel sewer system flushes are best done at the dump station with non-potable water hoses.. "

If it works great, it will work great at the dump station too.

Carol
Old 07-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
To thoroughly flush just the black tank can take about 20-25 minutes. Imagine if 10 people flush their tank—that would take a whole morning.

Gene
Old 07-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #34
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
To thoroughly flush just the black tank can take about 20-25 minutes. Imagine if 10 people flush their tank—that would take a whole morning.

Gene
Yep, that's why we just wait until journey's end to do the thorough cleaning.

Lynn
Old 07-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpapa View Post
Hey all

Dan
plus we really need the money.

seriously, though... Wilderness, Ludington, Young, Tahquamenon (just to name a few)- beautiful country and shorelines
Old 07-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #36
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
I also live in Michigan, and there are some great campgrounds.

I have never seen this device before, nor have I talked with anyone that has used it that lives in Michigan. However, I go camping quite often in Michigan and I have never had anyone even come close to coming near my site looking at any of my hoses. Im so sorry for your bad experience at this campground, thank you so much for warning all of us about this place, I wont be stayting there anytime soon.

This device looks really neat, and seems to work well from what everyone was saying, Im thinking I may go buy one at the Camping World you called about more information about it. We have a rally next weekend around that area, and if this is truly the case about it not being allowed in MI, I better get one now before they stop selling them!

As for being a U of M fan.....well there is more to be said about that.

GO STATE!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:23 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

Gene
Gene,

20 to 25 minutes? Are you brushing and flossing the black tank? We dump black, then gray, then hook up to factory installed flush fitting. We let in run for a couple of minutes, then close the valve to the black tank. We'll let it fill up for 2 to 3 minutes then dump once again. It helps to have a clear elbow on the sewage hose to attach at the trailer end. The flush definitely helps to knock loose some chunks in tank. We detach the sewage hose from the trailer and then use the water hose to rinse the sewage hose before storing it away.

I'd say we could dump and flush in no more than 15 minutes.

Another question to pose to Hydro-Flush users: if there is no threat of backflow, why use a different hose to do the flush?

yakman
Old 07-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
All the discussion about possible failure of an anti siphon valve is a bit off the mark, IMHO....

In normal situations, the anti siphon valve wouldn't even come into play unless there was a water pressure failure 'upstream' of the actual water faucet - then the anti siphon valve (a check valve) prevents the water in the hose from flowing backwards, causing possible contamination in the supply piping...just often does that actually happen!

I don't about any other campers out there, but I always flow some water from the park's faucet, and through my fresh water hose, BEFORE hooking it up to our AS...I also use an inline charcoal filter, to keep any sediment, etc. out of our piping...

If Michigan is going to regulate RV parks in this way - why don't they require all faucets to have anti-siphon valves installed on the outlets to insure there's no back flow of possibly contaminated water...

If one hooks up the Hydro Flush per the Mfg's instructions, there's just no way you'll contaminate the RV park's water supply...just look at the design...I would always use a 'dedicated' water hose for this unit, not for park contamination concerns, but because I'm using it while messing with the sewer connections on the trailer...

If you're still hung up about using such a device, pour a bit of bleach on your female hose connection (anti siphon connection) before you hook it up to the park's faucet, and rinse thoroughly...perhaps a spray bottle of bleach could be used to spray the park's faucet - an easy way to disinfect if you're concerned about these matters...
Old 07-26-2009, 05:02 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
A very interesting thread. I'm going to pick up one of these Flush Kings.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:27 AM   #40
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
A very interesting thread. I'm going to pick up one of these Flush Kings.
Remember that these devices are made with Valterra fittings. You will need to adapt it to the Thetford fittings on your trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:30 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Remember that these devices are made with Valterra fittings. You will need to adapt it to the Thetford fittings on your trailer.
My Hydroflush unit connects to my Classic waste outlet by a simple turn the way the sewer hose does and the sewer hose connects to the outflow end--no modifications or adapters required.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #42
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
My Hydroflush unit connects to my Classic waste outlet by a simple turn the way the sewer hose does and the sewer hose connects to the outflow end--no modifications or adapters required.
You don't have a vintage Airstream...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote