Old 07-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I sure am glad to hear that the police there in Michigan had the time to stay with you major criminals while you broke camp. It sure makes me feel safer. I'm sure that several little old ladies got mugged while those officers were dealing with your serious criminal activity. That must be a real buffoon police department. Michigan just needs to outlaw RVing completely and stop this major crime wave.

The very same morons who would discard their backflow preventer usually have pin holes in their slinkies leaking all over the ground. I have observed pin holes in slinkies countless times.

My sewer solution is much safer and cleaner than any slinky set up.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
The police were very courteous (we had two officers and squad cars behind our AS) and admitted that in their many years in law enforcement, had never been called to an RV park before. I apologized to them since I was sure they had much more serious police business to attend to than insuring that I left this "resort" in a timely matter. They seemed to agree with me when I told them that these folks should go back to running a nudist camp and avoid dealing with the general RV public who they were not prepared to service.

Aside from their arrogance and lack of public relations skills of this pinhead, I intend to get to the bottom of this Michigan regulation. As an earlier comment was made, this could spread to other areas. I am as much of an environmentalist as anyone and I see no possible way that this system could pollute any water supply. The backflow preventer is an intregal part of the device and I don't believe it is removable if I tried.

wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #17
Site Team
, Minnesota
Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
. . . . The backflow preventer is an intregal part of the device and I don't believe it is removable if I tried.
Would you care to describe the 'integral backflow preventer' on a Hydroflush? I'd like to know what it is, since I obviously am looking at something completely different.
markdoane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri

According to the manufacturer, Valterra, this is the description posted on Camping World website:

Safely flush out your sewer hose and holding tank after dumping by sending a blast of fresh water into the waste tank to remove remaining debris. Anti-siphon valve installs on fresh water faucet to prevent contamination of fresh water system. Clear ABS plastic helps you see when tank and hose are flushed clean.

My unit came as one piece with the anti-siphon valve in place to prevent contamination. I plan on contacting the manufacturer next week to make them aware of what Michigan is saying about this device.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Do you use your potable water hose on the RV Hydro Flush system when you are getting ready to leave a campground? Also you may what to consider that your anti back flow device can be rendered useless by a small grain of sand or other material lodged in the wrong spot. The possibility that this may be a common practice should make decontaminating the potable water hydrant outlet a necessity for all RV'ers before hooking up.
Richard from MI

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Pinholes in slinkies vs malfunctioning backflow preventer

Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
The very same morons who would discard their backflow preventer usually have pin holes in their slinkies leaking all over the ground. I have observed pin holes in slinkies countless times.

My sewer solution is much safer and cleaner than any slinky set up.

There are two different--"apples and oranges"--situations here.

True, pinholes in the slinky will leak some sewage onto the ground. . . But nobody expects the ground--especially around a sewer connecton --to be free from pathogens.

The backflow preventer will prevent contamination of the public drinking water supply as long as it works. But all it takes is a particle of sand to keep a one-way valve from seating, and then you could get sewage back into the water line. And we do expect our drinking water supply to be free of pathogenic bacteria.

Doesn't strike me as a good idea to leave a device like this connected to the water supply except when actually flushing the tank.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Wolverine... Even if there is a Michigan state regulation about the use of the HydraFlush or similar devices, there was not cause for you to be treated the way you were. Don't blame you at all for being upset by the incident...we sure would have been. They could have handled it a much nicer way and everybody would have been better off. We won't bother staying there if we every are in the area...besides, we have no interest in going to non-dog-friendly campgrounds. Sheesh. Thanks for the heads up.
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1990 25' Airstream 250
Bluffton , South Carolina
Unhappy Crap

It's my guess you were the victim of a park owner who has had other health issues in the park and who's licence was in jeopardy if any more infractions were reported to the health department.

Contamination of a fresh water through backflow is a real and serious problem. During a water main failure, water flowing out of the system can produce a vacuum in the service lines and pull in contaminated water. Most states require backflow preventers to provide some degree of protection during these sort of failures. During normal operation, the chanch of internal contamination of the fresh water system is very low. Most contamination is caused from external means on the surface of fittings and such.

I sure have wittnesed a lot of RV'rs do a lot of stupid stuff when emptying tanks. I suspect it will get harder and harder to find places that offer sewer hookups at the campsite and things like the blue tote tanks will also become illegal.
Pop Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
We're fairly new to the trailer world, at 2 years now but I have NOT seen a notice at full hook-up sites not to flush your tank. I would think that there would be a risk of cross contamination if one is not so smart and walks away while using the built in flusher and allows the tank to fill while having the main dump valve closed. I'm not 100% certain where the backflow would go, but it would probably end up in the hose and down to the spigot where everyone else gets their freshwater.

The only warning is on the trailer next to the sewer flusher hookup, to make sure the valve is open.

I can understand the CG owner's concern since either system is not 100% effective. People and equipment can fail.

I feel sewer system flushes are best done at the dump station with non-potable water hoses.. (if the hose happens to have a threaded connection )

yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #24
2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I agree with yakman. Every dump area I've been to has a special water supply specifically for rinsing tanks. The fresh water is usually located a few yards away from that.

Why risk contaqmination. H1N1 flu is going to do us all in anyway.....

Sometimes I wish I were living in the stone age. Then I would know I'm the smartest person in the world.
crazylev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you overfill the black tank, the water will go up the soil stack and then to the roof and down the side of the trailer. Hope that happens when it's the last flush and the water is pretty clean. The soil stack is the sewer vent on top of the trailer; on houses, you'll see one or more black pipes sticking out of the roof—same thing.

With devices like the Flush King and the Hydro Flush (sounds like it's the same principle) you can't tell how much water you've sent back into the tank, and if campground water pressure is high, you can easily overfill it. If there were no outlet from the black tank, the tank would expand and that can cause lots of trouble and that has been reported on another thread. If the soil stack is blocked—say from a bird's nest built while the trailer is stored—you could have a problem. Someone had the floor pop up and some supports bend.

There's probably no totally foolproof way to prevent a cross connection, but have there been any reports of problems?

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
For those of you have never used a hydroflush system, it is very easy to use. It contains a valve that turns on a high pressure flow of water. Once the inflo of water exceeds the capability of the outflow to handle the incoming water, you can easily see what's happening and you turn off the valve until everything has drained out. The outlet is clear, so after two or three flushes you visually cqn visually tell that all your getting out is clear water. The only way to overfill it would be to walk away and leave it running for a long time and that would be irresponsible. I've found that the installed flusher which is provided in Classics as standard equipment (also connected to the fresh water inlet by the way) does not do a thorough job like the hydroflush in totally cleaning the tank. Once the black water tank is clean, I close the black water outlet, open the grey water outlet and give that a couple of flushes in the event anything (like food scraps from the sink) has gotten into the grey water tank. If anyone has ever had any contamination, I would like to hear about it because I haven't. I am not trying to sell this product, but it has worked very well for us for several years.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
The Flush King has a built in backflow preventer I use a separate hose just for the Flush King and I just don't see how you could contaminate the city water when using one.

In fact I use a "T" at the CG faucet one side for RV water the other side to the Flush King. However; I do turn off the side to the RV water when using the Flush King and flush out the line going to the FK after disconnecting the FK.

For those who haven't used or seen a FK they may have a web site that shows how it's done.

garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
Fulltiming , Out West
We are not allowed to flush from the water system in this RV park either due to their concern with contaminating their well water. I had to agree that even a anti back flow device can fail. So if this bothers you then you better not camp in Nebraska either...

Bing-Bing is offline   Reply With Quote