Old 11-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #15
2003 22' International CCD
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Kennebunkport , Maine

I second the Palo Duro Canyon. We had a breakdown in Amarillo and spent a few days down in the canyon. Nice warm place to be in the winter, especially if you're from Maine like us.

frechettec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
2008 16' International
San Antonio , Texas
Buy the Texas parks pass. You will save money.

Rjpuckett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Another vote for Palo Duro. There is an off road outfitter just out side the park that will take you down into undeveloped areas of the canyon I would recommend,
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Cooper Lake State Park, South Sulphur Unit

We can highly recommend Cooper Lake State Park just north of Sulphur Springs. While the lake, Jim Chapman, is low like many North Texas lakes... the rest of the park continues to be a great weekend getaway and it's only a little over an hour from Dallas.

We are headed over there on the 14th for a couple of days and would love to see another AS pull in for some great fall camping

Edit: Just googled where you are and it looks like it might be a bit more of a drive to get over there... so alternately I can recommend Mineral Wells State Park. When my parents were full timers it was one of their favorite Texas state parks, and our son just camped over there three weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

Dana and Olga
2006 Safari 23
2011 Tundra Double Cab
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Lake Ray Roberts State Park is about an hour east of you just north of Denton. It gets some mixed reviews on campground review sites but I think most of those are from folks who thing rules on alcohol and noise are for everyone except them. I asked one of the local AS folks up there about it and he said he had never heard of any problems there...
Dana and Olga
2006 Safari 23
2011 Tundra Double Cab
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
We stayed at Tyler State Park a few years ago. We loved the SHADE there.

my restoration & travel blog:
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #21

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Well, I wish you'd posted last week instead. We'd have invited you to join us (the Heart of Texas Camping Unit) just a few miles from you, at LBJ National Grasslands near Decatur. It's all boondocking, but it's a great place to camp and we had a fine weekend.

Fort Richardson in Jacksboro (already recommended above) is a nice little park and quite close to you, it would be good for a "shakedown cruise" weekend where you're close enough to home and civilization to easily sort out any problems you might encounter.

The City of Hico has a nice little municipal park with some full-hookup sites (and some water+electric sites) that's close to the town but still quiet, unless you happened to be there on a weekend when our unit was camping there.

Dinosaur Valley State Park by Glen Rose is a nice park.

I've stayed in several of the places recommended by others above as well, and wouldn't argue about those recommendations.

One thing to remember is that while you'll encounter a day or three that are too cold for fun camping (with the occasional ice storm), overall what passes for Winter down here is ideal camping season in Texas! If you're trailer is by your house, you can just plug in and keep the furnace going on the occasional cold night, or you can get good and winterizing and de-winterizing quickly. It's June through most of September when it's miserable to camp around here!

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
2003 25' Safari
Prescott Valley , Arizona
Camping in north Texas

As others have mentioned, the Texas State Park system is exceptional. Two of my favorites are Davis Mountains SP and Hueco Tanks SP. Davis Mountains is very near the small town of Fort Davis which is a sweet little place with restaurants, a public library and very nice folks. Hueco Tanks is a "Bouldering" destination so, depending on when you are there, you can run into lots of young athletes. I found them to be polite, quiet and interesting. Neither place is one of the RV Resorts or burdened by lots of camper activities. Both are conducive to biking and hiking.
Patricia720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
one of our favorites has always been, Dinosaur Valley in Glen Rose. Granbury is close by and you'll have a blast on the square. Don't let cold weather slow you down, in fact you may find you are a winter camper.
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
It is a little tow for you.. but we found the COE park in Salado, TX is pretty nice. Parking spots not on top each other... room for kids to romp... a lake... some natural wildlife... and great sunrise, sunset, etc..

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote