Old 11-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Thanks all. Keep 'em comin'.

ATT service is pretty spotty here at Comlara Park north of Normal/Bloomington but I will follow up on all the suggestions in the morning at a place were I can get a more dependable iPad connection.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Sergei

Old 11-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Thanks to everybody for the leads but especially to IkeT, Tim, who suggested the Saint Louis RV Park right downtown.

This might be entirely unique in America. The only thing similar that I've seen is the Pecan Grove in Austin, which is quite a bit more senic. The SLRVP would fit the average film producer/director's stereotype of a trailer trash park but the owners are wonderful people and the location, for an urban explorer, is suberb. Surrounded by skyscrapers and big city views we are minutes away from the neighborhoods, music, food and atrractions of this marvellous looking city.

I'll call Bill Thomas RV to thank them for the offer of free full-service parking but this saves 2 or more hours a day of commuting.

Sergei

Old 11-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Thanks to everybody for the leads but especially to IkeT, Tim, who suggested the Saint Louis RV Park right downtown.

This might be entirely unique in America. The only thing similar that I've seen is the Pecan Grove in Austin, which is quite a bit more senic. The SLRVP would fit the average film producer/director's stereotype of a trailer trash park but the owners are wonderful people and the location, for an urban explorer, is suberb. Surrounded by skyscrapers and big city views we are minutes away from the neighborhoods, music, food and atrractions of this marvellous looking city.

I'll call Bill Thomas RV to thank them for the offer of free full-service parking but this saves 2 or more hours a day of commuting.

Sergei
Hi Sergei,

Little Rock is no Saint Louis or Austin, the there is a downtown RV park in North Little Rock just across the Arkansas river from the Clinton Presidential Library. Plenty of other stuff on both sides of the river too. This is the heart of the Little Rock/North Little Rock downtown redevelopment. Lots of restaurants, music, and attractions on both sides of the river. Both sides are served by a short trolley system that makes getting around the downtown areas a snap.

It's also on one of the nicest bike paths anywhere. Last time I rode my bicycle through there there was a very nice Avion parked in a spot overlooking the river.

It is only about 2-3 years old, so everything is in good repair.

I've never been to SL (even though my Excella has a Bill Thomas emblem by the door), but before I returned to AR I lived just outside Austin. I had friends that lived in Pecan Grove and I'm convinced that there is nowhere quite like it.

Looks like I'm still trying to talk you into swinging through here. Following your trip-have a happy (US) Thanksgiving this week.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:

Sergei
Sergei,
I was going to check and see if you wanted a load of firewood.. Ha, that's if you were in Babler Park. I live next to it.
However, I doubt they have campfires downtown.
I've lived here 33 years, did not know there was even a place downtown.
Not sure how long you are going to be here, but they are saying 20 degrees in a few nights.. A little chilly.
Hope you have a great stay here in St Louis.

Jeff
Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #19
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:

Sergei
So I was telling my wife of this compliment and of course she deadpans "did you tell them about the barbeque?".

There is a place called Pappy's Smokehouse within walking distance of the RV Park. It is highly recommended, but don't think about eating there late. The food is often gone by 7pm, so call ahead to see what they have available. I recommend the pork ribs. Hopefully, you have a chance to stop by.

Glad the park made a good fit for your stay.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike T View Post
So I was telling my wife of this compliment and of course she deadpans "did you tell them about the barbeque?".

There is a place called Pappy's Smokehouse within walking distance of the RV Park. It is highly recommended, but don't think about eating there late. The food is often gone by 7pm, so call ahead to see what they have available. I recommend the pork ribs. Hopefully, you have a chance to stop by.

Glad the park made a good fit for your stay.
Pappy's Smokehouse was just on Food Network's Food Feud show with Michael Symon!
Old 11-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Parking places in MEMPHIS, Tennesse

No, don't need campfire wood for urban exploration. Haven't been able to get into Pappy's yet. Parking lot full; lines out the door. But have seen much in this interesting urban blight urban delight city: Forest Park, Art Museum, The Loop, Broadway road show at the Fabulous Fox, Leonard Slatkin conducting the STL Symphony, Jeremy Davenport at the Jazz Bistro, The Ville, Soulard and the Market, Cherokee, History Museum, Washington and Saint Louis U's, Union Station, on and on.

Anyone have parking suggestions near MEMPHIS?

Getting colder.

Sergei
Old 11-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
We have not stayed here but it gets pretty good reviews -- you may want to check it out --

Tom Sawyer's Mississippi River RV Park

If you're just passing through --
We have overnighted (for free) in the parking lot of Southland Grayhound Park in West Memphis. They have Texas Hold 'em (which my husband loves to play) so he just lets them know that we are there when he goes in to play. The parking lot has 24-hour security which is a nice thing.

Debbie
Old 12-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Vicksburg, Natchez on the Mississippi??

So, add to my STL list: finally getting into Pappy's Smokehouse - terrific - Ted Drewes' Frozen Custard (don't miss having the concrete), Leclede Landing and The Arch and the totally unique and original CITY MUSEUM. Anyone going to Saint Louis should see this 'made from found objects' wonder.

After 11 days only the cold weather drove me south - but not too far. I'm in MEMPHIS riding out the cold snap at the TOM SAWYER.

Thanks to Debbie of Nashville for the lead. The trailer is parked right on the banks of the Mississippi and throbs every time a boat or barge glides past. It's wonderful.

Suggestions for Vicksburg and/or Natchez on the Mississippi anyone ??

Sergei
Old 12-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
So, add to my STL list: finally getting into Pappy's Smokehouse - terrific - Ted Drewes' Frozen Custard (don't miss having the concrete), Leclede Landing and The Arch and the totally unique and original CITY MUSEUM. Anyone going to Saint Louis should see this 'made from found objects' wonder.

After 11 days only the cold weather drove me south - but not too far. I'm in MEMPHIS riding out the cold snap at the TOM SAWYER.

Thanks to Debbie of Nashville for the lead. The trailer is parked right on the banks of the Mississippi and throbs every time a boat or barge glides past. It's wonderful.

Suggestions for Vicksburg and/or Natchez on the Mississippi anyone ??

Sergei
Really glad you had a great time here in St Louis. I can't think of anything you missed! It's 13 degrees this morning, and supposed to be "0" Sunday with snow.. Maybe it was a good time to head south.. Ha!