Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Camping near Columbia TN

I am possibly attending a meeting in Columbia TN and would like to do some camping while I am up there. Can anyone help me with some recommendations? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
It may be a short drive but we liked Henry Horton State Park. The bath houses are really nice with hot water and the site is also very nicely situated with lots of trees and concrete pads with fire rings and picnic tables. Power and water also in the RV sites.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
We camped at Henry Horton State Park last fall. We booked the reservation online. We had never been to Henry Horton. Very pretty park with nice new bath houses. Two problems we had there is that the parking area, for the site we reserved was not accurate described, and the power electrical was not adequate.

The parking area was much smaller than described online. We could not get our truck and 25 footer both on the site we reserved.

The electrical, listed as 30 amp on the reservation system, was a 15 amp receptacle with a 30 amp breaker. The electrical box was rusted out and in really bad condition. The campground host argued that it was 30 amp because of the 30 amp breaker. They finally allowed to move for one night to an open site that had a 30 amp breaker and a 30 amp receptacle. We reduced our stay to one night instead of three because of the power issues at available sites.

Renovations may have happened since last fall. I don't know. Campground paving and electrical systems were in serious need of work when we were there.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Columbia isn't that far from Nashville. That means it's not that far from J Percy Priest Lake, which has three Corps of Engineers campgrounds. The best of the three (in my opinion) is Seven Points Campground. The others are Poole Knobs and Anderson Road campgrounds.

There is a fourth CoE campground on the lake with non-electric sites, Nashville Shores, if you don't mind boondocking.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Huntsville is not far from there. In fact, I bought my trailer in Columbia and towed it home with rotten tires and questionable brakes. I have a big back yard and there is Monte Sano State Park in Huntsville as well. The campground at Henry Horton is closed for construction right now. David Crockett State Park Looks pretty good but I have not camped there.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAStreamin View Post
I am possibly attending a meeting in Columbia TN and would like to do some camping while I am up there. Can anyone help me with some recommendations? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
How far is it from Huntsville to Columbia TN? Is it a mountainous drive?
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Flat all interstate. I-565 to I-65 to Columbia. There are back ways to go as well if you prefer back roads to get from Huntsville to TN. It is about 90 mins if you drive the speed limit or 60 mins if you are me.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Texas "T" campground just off of I-65 near Columbia is quite nice, and nice people..

Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote