Old 07-07-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
Camping near Chattanooga, TN / Rossville, GA

Can anyone recommend a good A/S friendly campground near Lake Winnepesaukah which is in northwest Georgia and very close to Chattanooga. There is a relly neat old theme park there that my wife saw in Southern Living and we would really like to go there ofr a visit.

Thanks to all!!

Old 07-07-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I recently stayed in Chattanooga at a nice campground "BEST HOLIDAY TRAV-L-PARK". They were very nice, clean and accomodating to our B-190/GlobeTrotter "duplex". I only stayed one night as it was a stop on a 1500 mile trip, but I would not hesitate to stop by again.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty | 1946 Curtis Wright Model 2
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
We have looked at that one and it looks nice. Do you know how far it is from Lake Winnie?
Old 07-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Brevard , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to Roadschooler
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I recently stayed in Chattanooga at a nice campground "BEST HOLIDAY TRAV-L-PARK". They were very nice, clean and accomodating to our B-190/GlobeTrotter "duplex". I only stayed one night as it was a stop on a 1500 mile trip, but I would not hesitate to stop by again.

Shari

We stayed at the Best Holiday Trav-L-Park too and it was nice. Easy to get to attractions. Friendly staff, nice pool, clean. We were one of 3 Airstreams!

We found a GREAT Indian food place too, let me know if you like Indian and want to try I'll send you the info.

Also if your want to visit Ruby falls, we found out they have night tours where they use a lantern and have only about 15 people per group instead of 50. We were dissapointed with the tour, not the cavern itself, we were herded through in a large crowd. I'd still do it again, just would be prepared to hold the crowd up to take pictures.

By the way we loved the aquarium, it is really layed out nice.
The first restaurant on the right hand side, across from the aquarium (standing with back to aquarium) had good food, seafood seemed to be their specialty and they customized to suit. There was a BIG brick sofa out front, Ben and Jerry's store located right before it.

Parking was pretty easy too, we used covered right across from the IMAX. Our BIG @#% TV did clear the roof but we didn't dare whip it around like a compact .

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Lake Winnepesaukah

When I was small my aunt use to take us to Lake Winnepesaukah . It was the coolest place back then. Our church took all the kids about 6 yrs ago. Still has the old wooden rollercoaster. Its not going to be like six flags or anything like that, just a small amusement park. It is a nice place to visit and not as crowded, or wasn't back then, than the bigger more popular ones. Chattanooga has a really nice aquarium and a train museum, Rock City, and Ruby Falls. There is actually things to keep you busy for a week or so. Have fun!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Elm Springs , Arkansas
Hey Chuman, looking at the address for the trailer park, I would say you about 2 miles to Lake Winnee. Lake Winnee is right on the state line, just south of East Ridge. Hope this helps!!!
R
Old 07-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
Greeneville , Tennessee
Highly recommend Lake Winnie!

Our family loves Lake Winnie...Lots of Vintage charm, that a Six Flags does not have. We visit at least once a year. Our Airstream has only been rolling for about six weeks, so we haven't yet taken it to Lake Winnie, HOWEVER We did stay at the KOA near Ringgold Ga. (EXIT 350) on our way back from Fort Wilderness last month and have NOTHING good to say about it. It may be one of the closer campgrounds, but a little longer drive would be well worth it. The KOA north of Chattanooga (Cleveland TN) was nice, but might be a bit out of your way. The Cannon-Ball roller coaster is one of the top ten rated wooden coasters in the world! Have Fun!
Old 07-08-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuman70
We have looked at that one and it looks nice. Do you know how far it is from Lake Winnie?
Best Holiday Trav-L Park is the closest that I know around here to Lake Winnie. I've been there but never camped. To get to Lake Winnie go out the campground entrance on Mack Smith Road. Turn right on Mack Smith. From Mack Smith look for Steele about 1/2 mile down on your right. Turn onto Steele and follow to the end. You should be at a stop sign on Lakeview. Turn right onto Lakeview and Lake Winnie will be on your left, you can't miss it. Not far at all, maybe 2 1/2 miles total. Have fun. They have one of the few wooden roller coasters left.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote