Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2008, 04:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by osolow
[[FONT=Book Antiqua]the number one thing i want to due is fly fish and probably ride my mountain bike around on some trails
That's exactly why we stay at Pebble creek. Very close to great fishing for Sam. Mountain biking is VERY limited in the park. I settled for road riding, which I thought would be terrifying with the camper traffic (figuring there'd be a lot of newbie drivers in rental RVs). But I found drivers were among the most considerate I've ever encountered.

Just outside the park, I've had some of the best mountain biking of my life.

Oh- and you definitely want to go after Labor Day.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:43 AM   #22
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Our favorite place to camp is the Madison CG. You can walk down to the river and throw a few flies in the evening. It does not have the hook ups that Fishing Bridge does, but it is a much nicer setting and a great location.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:24 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Bridge Bay

Here's a picture of our campsite at Bridge Bay Campground inside the park. No hookups, but I loved having a fire ring, table, and some privacy. This was in 2005 with my first trailer. It's a 23 foot model which I believe is equivalent to a 25 foot Airstream. Four of us stayed five nights with one trip to the dump station. There was enough room that my parents could park their van right next to the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bridge_bay.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	52697  
Old 01-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #24
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
looks good

that looks like a nice place to camp thanks for the info on everything

what about the $30 trip planer you can order from the park is it worth it

thanks everyone for the info
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #25
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Our favorite place to camp is the Madison CG. You can walk down to the river and throw a few flies in the evening. It does not have the hook ups that Fishing Bridge does, but it is a much nicer setting and a great location.
I have to agree, Madison is very nice. Dry camping only. If you have large trailer your site options are limited.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #26
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.ervin
What is the length of the washboard road? Another way of saying this is: How long must one endure the washboard road before getting to the campground?

Thanks,
It is about two Advil, one loose tooth and two broken dishes.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
Dave, thanks, but the wife does not necessarily see it that way

I have stayed at a CG about 18 miles W of Cody twice. Nice views, almost alone, but then the first time it had just quit raining (and it was almost all gumbo, so had to walk pebble by pebble) and second time the wind blew so hard it would flap the aluminum underbody up and down. Still nice views and almost alone...
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Another downside to Fishing Bridge is that there are no picnic tables, grills or fire rings. The rangers explained it as a way to keep the human/bear interactions to a minimum. A mite specious as this is not the case at any of the non full hook-up campgrounds. Personally, I think it is so the concessionaire can cram RV's even closer together.

An interesting phenomena -- if you drive 1.8 miles east of Fishing Bridge towards the East Gate you will find a pull out on the south (your) side of the road. Here you will have two sticks of Verizon Wireless. We drove over every other day or so to check e-mail. One of the park volunteers told us of the place. Had no signal anywhere else in the park.
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s
Another downside to Fishing Bridge is that there are no picnic tables, grills or fire rings. The rangers explained it as a way to keep the human/bear interactions to a minimum. A mite specious as this is not the case at any of the non full hook-up campgrounds. Personally, I think it is so the concessionaire can cram RV's even closer together.

An interesting phenomena -- if you drive 1.8 miles east of Fishing Bridge towards the East Gate you will find a pull out on the south (your) side of the road. Here you will have two sticks of Verizon Wireless. We drove over every other day or so to check e-mail. One of the park volunteers told us of the place. Had no signal anywhere else in the park.
And if you turn left (north) on the gravel road at approximately this same distance from Fishing Bridge, you can drive for a short distance to the trail head that leads far out into Pelican Valley.

There, you can ditch that Verizon phone , have a decent chance for some human/bear interaction , and enjoy mighty fine fishing when conditions are right.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
And if you turn left (north) on the gravel road at approximately this same distance from Fishing Bridge, you can drive for a short distance to the trail head that leads far out into Pelican Valley.

There, you can ditch that Verizon phone , have a decent chance for some human/bear interaction , and enjoy mighty fine fishing when conditions are right.
Pelican creek was an excellant place to fish also after a short hike...The last time I was there I was the only one fishing the creek even though the campground was full, caught alot of 14 - 16' cuttthroats.
nymphfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphfishin
Pelican creek was an excellant place to fish also after a short hike...The last time I was there I was the only one fishing the creek even though the campground was full, caught alot of 14 - 16' cuttthroats.
Rarely ever hear of any bigger than 2' myself. Whaddya use for fish that size.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
We stayed at Fishing Bridge in June of ’07. The full hookups allowed us to park the rig for five nights without worrying about filling up the tanks or running our batteries down.

While Fishing Bridge is very crowded. It is the only campground in the park with full hookups. The park is huge and being centrally located does make it easier to get out to you day’s destination. I would recommend Fishing Bridge if you plan to use it only for sleeping, as you can’t spend time outside easily, with no room to sit.

The staff is very kind and helpful. I would stay there again.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Del Norte , Colorado
Quote:
Elk Hair Caddis 12 - 14, the man in a fly shop told me about the creek he had just fished the day before and sold me a few of them, Seems like it was last of July, 1st of Aug. the water was low and clear.
Had a great day.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Del Norte , Colorado
Quote:

OOPS,
Inches, Inches
Old 02-15-2008, 10:02 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I cannot add more than whats already been said about Yellowstone. It is a treasure and it takes time to asorb everything. Regarding cell phone coverage, we have AT&T and for the most part we did not have coverage in a lot of spots within the park but there were locations where we did have coverage. We would stay at the Fishing Bridge because it was handy to everthing inside the park. Since we have visited all the locations inside the park our next visit will be "wildlife watching". This is one park we could spend a lot of time visiting.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:49 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM16CCD
Also, there are different kinds of campgrounds. There is only one in the park with full hook ups, a number of large campgrounds with 100s of sites, and some smaller ones with fewer sites. Some of the larger ones are close to showers and laundry facilities, and stores.

Also, there are private campgrounds around the outside of the park, like West Yellowstone, Cody, Silver City, etc, that you could stay at and do day trips into the park.

What do you suggest if we have animals- 4 dogs? Can we camp in the park?

We are planning on leaving PA the 2nd week in June with our vintage '61 and our friends will be using our '67 and mini caravanning to Intl. We were going to hit Estes/ Rocky Mtn. NP, then Steamboat, Flaming Gorge, Tetons, Yellowstone, and Bozeman for Intl. then how via Dakotas and all that stuff.

I have reservations for the VAC night at the Bozeman KOA and Intl of course- but haven't figured out the specifics on the rest. However, it sounds like I better get moving on campground reservations to get 2 spots.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We were thinking Elk Mtn. in Estes- stayed there before- and although not much privacy it had a great view.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:52 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
Mountain biking is VERY limited in the park. I settled for road riding, which I thought would be terrifying with the camper traffic (figuring there'd be a lot of newbie drivers in rental RVs). But I found drivers were among the most considerate I've ever encountered.

Just outside the park, I've had some of the best mountain biking of my life.

Hello,

We are doing Yellowstone right before Intl this summer and my husband and his friend (who is caravaning with us) are fanatical mountain bikers. Looking for downhill/ all mountain- will be bringing their long travel. Any suggestions as we plan?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:55 AM   #38
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I'm with you on this one Richard. I stayed in 3 parks at YS and Madison CG was my favorite!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
We did Yellowstone 2 years ago. We first stayed in Coulter Bay in Grand Teton then moved to Fishing Bridge. Both offer full hookups, but Coulter Bay is a much nicer, forested setting. Of the two I'd go with Coulter Bay, it places you only a few miles from Yellowstone. Fishing Bridge is much more centrally located though. We had an emergency that I had to fly out for while the family stayed behind right in the middle of the vacation that put a real damper on things. We're going back this June this year to do it right and plan on dry camping for 3 days twice with a 2 day stay in the middle at Coulter Bay. We prefer dry camping anyway, but this will give us a chance to charge our batteries, and start fresh for a second run without running out of water or power while dry camping. The pictures everyone has posted really make me Jones for Yellowstone again.
Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
FAYETTEVILLE , Arkansas
Yellowstone is a very special place. It is truly magical. I have been in the park or around it during every season and dead of winter was fantastic, but camping during the summer I really enjoyed Madison CG. They have a nightly activity at the ampitheater and like someone said in an earlier post it is right by the river. My second is Canyon. You have everything there and you are centrally located. Good luck and enjoy.
gyandell is offline   Reply With Quote