Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
crystal lake , Illinois
Smile Camping in WI?

Hello everyone,
New as of today, and wondering if anyone has any great campgrounds they can recommend in WI? I need one that accepts dogs as well.
Thanks
D
Doglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I know some Airstreamers that are going to Bong Recreational Area this weekend. Next weekend we have an Airstream Rally at Amboy, Il. Check the Northern Illinois WBCCI.net Website. The colors are at their peak in Door County and there are a number of good campgrounds there. There is also a nice one at the Kettle Moraine State Park about 20 miles north of the Illinois state line. How far north do you want to go?
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
crystal lake , Illinois
Thanks for the info, we are not wanting to go to far this time. Since we are only going for a couple of days, wanting to use it one more time before it goes to storage for the winter. I will look into those and see what they have open, thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Welcome to the Forum.
We always liked Country View in Mukwanago just outside of Milwaukee.
Country View Campground | Mukwonago, WI
There are sites under the trees in the back part of the camp but some are a little hard to get into. Lots to do in the area. Takes about 90 minutes from C.L.
***SHAMELESS PLUG***
While not Wisconsin, there will be a group of us spending the next weekend just outside of Rockford.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ois-80061.html
Very nice park. Never a problem with pets. Lots of trails and space for the pooches to explore.
Takes about 90 minutes to get there as well.

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Door County

We like the Door, the state parks (2) are nice and so is the private campground Bailey's Grove in Baileys Harbor. Too bad we haven't moved yet, we will have courtesy parking in Southern Door later this year!
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
OH Ya

The KOA in the Dells is also nice and run by very nice people. Also Kohler State park is nice this time of year.

The WI Unit is having a weekend camp out the weekend of October 15 at Tranquil Timbers RV Resort, Sturgeon Bay, come join us 10-14- through 10-16.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Hi,

Welcome to the forums!

I second what Ed and Tom have said, Country View is nice, Dells KOA is very nice, and anything in Door County is nice! If you can, join us (Wisconsin WBCCI Unit) for the campout at Tranquil Timbers (just south of Sturgeon Bay, Door County) the weekend of Oct 14 - 16. Tell them you are with the Airstream group. (Unless you would prefer not to associate with our rowdy bunch! )

One caution--Wisconsin state parks are nice, but rather costly for out-of-staters. The camp site fees are reasonable but then you have a daily out-of-state vehicle fee which brings the total to more than most private campgrounds.

Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Camping in WI?

Greetings Doglady!

Welcome to the Forums!

Four of my favorite camping destinations in Southwest Wisconsin may be a little further than you want to travel. All four are wonderful destinations with a number of attractions not too far distant, and all four have welcomed my Chihuahua traveling companions:
  • Rustic Barn RV Par, Kieler, Wisconsin. This park is on my all-time favorites list. The management is friendly and very helpful, and the park is kept pristinely clean. I often sechedule this as an end-of-tour stop to get my coach ready for my return home . . . and it is often my first or second night destination on many of my trips.
  • Governor Dodge State Park, Dodgeville, Wisconsin. The setting for Governor Dodge State Park is serene, and within a short drive of many attractions. I lived just a few short miles from this state park for seven years and it was a favorite weekend and picninc destination. It is a wonderful park to just stay and relax and get away from the day-to-day pressures.
  • Blackhawk Lake Recreation Area, Highland, WI. This campground is one of my favorites when I am looking for a place to stay and unwind. Attractions aren't as numerous and are not as nearby as they are with my first two suggestions . . . but this park always spells a relaxing stay with an excellent out-of-doors experience.
  • Lake Joy Campground, Belmont, Wisconsin. This campground is a favorite when a site near the main highway corridor is wanted (US151). While it is very near US 151, it is still a wonderfully quiet and peaceful place to stay. The hosts are warm and welcoming, and the campground offers entertainment periodically throughout the summer season on weekends . . . one of my favorite weekends to stay there is when they are featuring the Mineral Point City Band for entertainment.
Good luck with your travel plans!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
crystal lake , Illinois
Thanks everyone!! That's a lot of great info! We would like to join the rowdy bunch, however we never get to travel on weekends as my husband is away for work. At least not until summer time comes around again. I will check all of these out and see what we can find available!!
Thanks again and have a great Sunday!