Old 06-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Camping in Washington State

This is a great time of the year to enjoy both Olympic and Mt Rainier National Parks and a huge diverse State Park system. Mt St. Helens is incredible as well. We're so far north it doesn't get dark until about 10:00 and the weather is in the high 60's or low 70's and at night we still use flannel sheets and comforters. I've lived here my entire life so some of the things I take for granted I know others will enjoy. I was sitting on my deck the other night and the sun was setting on Mt Rainier and the snow was pink. Just beautiful. Dungeness crab season starts July 1st and we are expected to have a record year. King and Silver salmon will soon be migrating through the Sound as well.

I've gotten a lot of good things out of this Forum and just wanted to share a wonderful part of the country many of you may have never seen.

Dan

Old 06-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Your highs are our lows in more ways than one. Please enjoy yourselves quietly ;-)

It will be months before we feel the joys of cooler weather, but when it comes it stays fantastic for nine months without a hint of snow.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
Dan, it sounds lovely! I've noted this for our upcoming travels now that we'll be empty nesters. Thanks and enjoy!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
I've lived just three hours from Mt. Rainer National Park and just visited there the first time last fall. It was, without a doubt, one of the most scenic places I've ever visited! Wildflower season was spectacular!! A day hike in the area took us around waterfalls, over meadows and allowed us to eat lunch on a glacier! counting the days until I can return!! the National Park Campgrounds there are really nice, too.

Dan, any suggestions of good places to camp around Mt. St. Helens?

We love Washington State (and Oregon, too )...you can't beat summers in the Pacific NW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	491.3 KB
ID:	161064   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	475.4 KB
ID:	161065  

Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	161066   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	161068  

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Yum on the crabs!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Shhh! Don't let the secret out. The good Wa State campgrounds are already booked. Now if we can only get through Junuary (it was in the 40s this morning in Woodinville). Dan: the Man burns in only 78 days! Are you ready?

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Valmog, we always go to Packwood for St. Helens and Rainier. You can go into the south entrance to Rainier and visit the "Grove of the Patriarchs" stunning. You can then go east and south to see St. Helens. We have a cabin in Packwood so this si our starting point also for skiing at White Pass.

Don, I am ready to burn brightly.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I grew up In Spanaway Wa. problem is it's raining all the time. I didn't relize how much till I left. Here in CO people don't do stuff in the rain. And laughed at me when I wanted to go mountain biking in the rain. Growing up in washington, if you don't do it in the rain you don't do anything. I love Wa. Been to the top of all the mountains and hiked the coast. What a place..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Jason, you're right, I've been on top of all the mtns too. In the summers the rain generally stops and the weather is spectacular, 70,75 degrees, cool evenings, sun, no humidity. The winters however are bad but as they say you don'thave to shovel rain. I like to go to Neah Bay in the winter and sit up on one of those bluffs on the coast and watch the storms blow in. This should be an interesting winter as the debris from The Japanese earthquake has started to make it's way ashore. Real Washingtonians don't carry or use umbrellas and this is how we spot the tourists.

Dan
Old 06-19-2012, 12:53 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Jason, you and Dan just live on the "wrong side" of the Cascades. Rain, what rain, here is Yakima we live in a high desert, and only about 45 minutes from Rainer :-)
Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Your right. We live in the desert now. It hasn't rained here for 3 months about. We use to go out to the coast by Forks in the late 80's and early 90's and find the glass balls the Japanese used to float their fishing nets with. Don't think you can find them any more. It's amazing what a storm will push onto the beach.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
JSE
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky
Jason, you're right, I've been on top of all the mtns too. In the summers the rain generally stops and the weather is spectacular, 70,75 degrees, cool evenings, sun, no humidity. The winters however are bad but as they say you don'thave to shovel rain. I like to go to Neah Bay in the winter and sit up on one of those bluffs on the coast and watch the storms blow in. This should be an interesting winter as the debris from The Japanese earthquake has started to make it's way ashore. Real Washingtonians don't carry or use umbrellas and this is how we spot the tourists.

Dan
My wife and I spent Christmas out in Olympic and visited Cape Flattery during high winds and some rain. It was beautiful! The huge waves crashing into the rocks sounded like thunder. I'll probably be out there again in a few weeks so I'll see if it's as impressive during the summer.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
Curious - do you winterize your airstream, or do you use it year round? Just got mine this spring, and i have been thinking about potentially just keeping a heater plugged in all winter (and the fresh tanks empty) would allow me to just pick up and go year round. Camping in the winter sounds like a lot of fun to me. In Seattle, it only rarely gets below freezing for a significant amount of time.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
You'll want to get the water out of your lines. Even a short freeze can cause damage (even here on the wet coast). If you have an air compressor, it's an easy task that really doesn't take much time. A lot of folks will winter camp without using the plumbing but rely on bottled water and the camp site facilities.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote