Old 09-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
It looks like Burien, WA, only gets below freezing a few nights in the winter; and that's only for a couple of hours when it dips into the 20's overnight. If that's the case, you probably don't need to winterize your Airstream. Assuming you get a frost/freeze warning from weather forecasters, you can go out and turn the furnace on overnight; and it only needs to be set to the lowest temperature, which is around 50 degrees. That's what we do in Phoenix, and we have never had a frozen waterline or drain pipe, in Arizona.

We have had our fresh water line and the junction of the gray and black water drains freeze while we were in Denver, but that occurred during 10-12 hour overnight temperatures below 14 degrees (we were OK down to the mid-teens). In that case, running the hot water heater and furnace did not prevent the lines from freezing.

We had previously added pink RV antifreeze to the freshwater tank to create a mix of about 25-33% antifreeze to 67-75% water, and flushed it through the cold and hot water lines. So, the freshwater lines and water pump froze, but were not damaged; and all drain pipes and the sewer junction did not freeze. I tested a sample of the mixture, and it froze solid; but it had voids in the ice that looked like big air bubbles. The salesperson that recommended this mix said that the mixture would freeze. However, it wouldn't expand like water does, so the pipes wouldn't be damaged. Don't know if this was just marketing hype, but our pipes are fine after several sub-14 degree nights last January.

By the way, most RV antifreeze liquids contain propylene glycol as the active ingredient; and while not very appetizing since they are pink and foamy, they are safe to consume. Propylene glycol is used in cosmetics, intravenous drugs, eye drops, etc. and is considered generally safe by the USDA. While we had this mixture in our freshwater tank, we drank and cooked with bottled water, and only used "tap water" for hand-washing and bathing.

A note of caution regarding electric heaters, I personally wouldn't leave a heater on all winter, unattended. While some heaters may be safer than others, the chances of you not discovering a malfunctioning device in time could be disastrous, whether it's an RV fire or frozen water lines/pipes. -- Just an opinion.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Winterizing

BtownTinCan,

I am from the cold side so I do winterize. I also use the trailer up until late October and have been out during sub freezing nights. I follow the advice someone has suggested as I use my air compressor to winterize. The only pink stuff I use goes down the drains to prevent the traps from freezing. I once got some of this stuff in my water heater by mistake and I did not like the results. Yes, it is safe, but it isn't very nice to smell or taste out of the tap and it takes a long time to completely flush out of the system.

I empty the water tank and the hot water tank. I blow all the lines and run the water pump dry. It doesn't take long so when I decide to go out I don't feel like I wasted my time only to have to de-winterize for the trip. Make sure you blow out the spray attachment on your sink. I have had to replace two of them over the years. You would think I would remember.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
BtownTinCan,

I am from the cold side so I do winterize. I also use the trailer up until late October and have been out during sub freezing nights. I follow the advice someone has suggested as I use my air compressor to winterize. The only pink stuff I use goes down the drains to prevent the traps from freezing. I once got some of this stuff in my water heater by mistake and I did not like the results. Yes, it is safe, but it isn't very nice to smell or taste out of the tap and it takes a long time to completely flush out of the system.

I empty the water tank and the hot water tank. I blow all the lines and run the water pump dry. It doesn't take long so when I decide to go out I don't feel like I wasted my time only to have to de-winterize for the trip. Make sure you blow out the spray attachment on your sink. I have had to replace two of them over the years. You would think I would remember.
Same procedure 200 miles to your east here in Msla, MT ... although this year, I plan to put just a small bit of RV anti in the pump.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
thanks, this is great feedback. I did a quick search for blowing the lines with a compressor (I do have one), and can't find the proceedure. Does anyone have a link or a suggestion?

I probably will end up winterizing at some point (maybe December), but want to take advantage of some uncrowded campgrounds and warm fires.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You can buy a fitting that screws on the water intake has a short rubber hose and a fitting like a tire valve stem. I cut tha off an installed a QD for the compressor on it so that I can do it by myself. I drain the WH. Put the plug back in. Drain fresh water tank and open a valve and run pump until pump an line are dry. Then connect compressor and open one valve at a time starting with the one the furtherest from the intake. Open each until water quits coming out. Do not forget the shower and the spray line for the toilet. Then take WH plug out again.

Some climates this may be enough. I do not trust it and pump antifreeze in through the same fitting using a little pressure feed tank from HF. This procedure still leaves the 12 volt pump without antifreeze. for a winter I put some antifreeze in the pump.

I take showers and wash hands and flush the toilet with the antifreezy water. Carry water for drinking in the marginal times. Might use jugged water for the toilet when traveling with the pump winterized. Might leave the WH drained and bypassed and heat a little water on the stove for washing and shaving. Put trailer up or head south when it is really cold.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
VTS sells a brass fitting that screws on the water intake with a quick connect stem. Clip on the air hose and go inside and open those valves.
Tim
Old 05-20-2016, 12:24 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
Washington State Recommended Beach Campgrounds

We are considering a trip to the Washington/Oregon Coast sometime in August or early fall. What are the best locations where you can set up within sight of the ocean?

Thanks, Pat
Old 05-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
Cape Disapointment (near long beach) is really great.

Pacific Beach is great too (parking lot type camping, but right on the beach too.

Salt Creek recreational area near Port Angles is spectacular. Day trips to Cape Flattery and Hurricane Ridge are bucket listers.

Also really like Fort Worden and Fort Flagler, both near Port Townsend. More Puget sound views than ocean, but really nice if you can get a spot on the water (need to reserve early both places)
Old 05-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
We are considering a trip to the Washington/Oregon Coast sometime in August or early fall. What are the best locations where you can set up within sight of the ocean?

Thanks, Pat
Klaloch on the Olympic National Park coast is great, too. Although, like many of the places, it may already be full... even in August. It may be you need to check to see which areas have openings and plan around that.
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post

Thanks, Pat
These two will put you right on the beach:

Fort Casey State Park, Washington

Beach Side State Park - Waldport, Oregon

Hard to get a reservation at them (book out fast) but have found that many times I have been able to get into them mid week for a night or two without reservations.

Another beachside campground is Nehalem Bay State Park, Oregon. Although you can not actually see the ocean from your campsite you can hear it. Ocean is just a short walk over the sand dunes behind your campsite.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:40 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
Thanks everyone for the suggestions....really appreciated!

Pat