Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2006, 06:35 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Question More info please

Thought I would resurect this thread. I am going to Yellowstone June 20th and am trying to decide what National park campgrounds to stay in.
Even though some campgrounds don't have a dump station don't they have a grey water dump in the restrooms? It looks like a giant toilet and is usually located in between the mens and womens sides of the building.

Also has anyone stayed at Norris campground? It is first come first served.

Any info is helpfull. Like how fast do the campgrounds fill in the third week of June? Personal recommendations, what campgrounds can accomodate a truck and 25ft trailer? Anyone ever made reservations for madison or canyon and how easy was the reservation prosess?
Old 05-20-2006, 07:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Reservations hard to get..

I think the reason most people choose to stay outside the park is split between those who value hookups and those who can't get reservations... Very rare to find openings during summer season inside the park on short notice, and reservations hard to get in advance... There is a great KOA on river just north of the park, as well as several private campgrounds east of the park on road out towards Graybull and Cody...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I suggest that you go to yellowstonepark.com website, read the info they have there on campgrounds, then telephone them for your reservations, and ask your specific questons.

It's very easy to make a reservation, assuming there are still some sites available. This can be rather late to make reservations for some weeks in the peak season, but you may still be okay for the end of June.

I've never stayed in Norris; it wouldn't be my choice for trailer camping, since it's somewhat of the beaten path unless there's something specifically there that you want to do in the area.

My personal choice of Park campgrounds is Grants Village, and I'm pretty sure they have sites big enough for your trailer, although I've just tented there, in a normal tent and in a popup tent camper.

I've also stayed in Madison, but also just in a tent, so I can't say for sure that they have a dump station, but I'm almost certain they do, and if they do, the others that take reservations would also. Ask when you call for your reservations.

If you do stay at one of the campgrounds that are on a first come first serve (as I believe Norris would be) make sure you get there early in the morning so you have a shot at getting a site. The earlier, the better. A lot of them can get filled for the day by mid-morning, and it's no fun at all driving the rest of the day in heavy traffic trying to find another place to stay.

John
Old 05-21-2006, 02:04 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Too late for reservations

Well I made the call to Xantera for reservations inside yellowstone and nothing is available for my size trailer for the dates I wanted. Soooooo

I booked a site at Grizzly Rv park in west yellowstone for $47 a night ouch! But I am going to have full hookups and cable tv . And a spot when I get there.

Anyone stayed at Grizzly Rv recently? Any comments good or Bad? It looked good on the web.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:08 PM   #25
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by campcollector
Anyone stayed at Grizzly Rv recently? Any comments good or Bad? It looked good on the web.

Well, i havent stayed there but i would like to comment that i too think its pretty expensive. lol

We have been considering a trip to Yellowstone next year but i dont think we would want to pay that much a night.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 02:55 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I get one every year, if you hit the parks alot it is a bargin, besides having it in my wallet just makes me feel good...... Im thinking about getting the interagency one this year.
I also get an Annual Pass every year. Even if I only use it one time. The NPS sure can use the revenue.

Mark
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:56 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
$$$$

Somtimes when you go to a certain area they got ya by the wallet. Location location. I would have preferd to camp in the park but alas no ins.

I will post a review, an some photos of the campround when I get back.
anyone have a reccomendation of a good place to eat in West yellowstone?