Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Wichita , Kansas
Camping in the northeast this month, March 2017

We are picking up our new AS in Lakewood, NJ on March 20 and then heading up to Portland, Maine to work with students at the Portland Friends School. I am looking for advise and wisdom for our first adventure. I am thinking it is pretty crazy to be camping in Maine in March! for 3-4 days. Just call ME crazy.

Finding a place near Beacon NY (or in that area) to stay on Monday night the 20th after we pick up the AS, on our way to Portland. I think we will be parking at the school, using 15 AMP 110 outlet for power.

Also we will be heading back to Kansas the following week mostly along I-70 and needing places to camp over night. Many of the RV parks I checked with are not open yet. I have looked at Manchester CT, Youngstown OH, Effingham IL. for stopping points along the route coming home. Around 500 miles each day.

Yea, glad to be apart of the AS family and really excited about all we will learn, experience and share together on the road.

Aaron Fowler
Aaron-Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Wal Mart, Cracker Barrel, or any truck stop.

You should not have to worry about freezing by then. To freeze the trailer you would have to see temperatures below 25 degrees F in the night and below freezing the next day. In other words at least 10 hours below freezing.

Just do not run the heater over night as it will kill your batteries.

I would check the batteries in the new trailer with a hygrometer or swap your old batteries if you are trading in. Batteries in a new trailer are often dead on arrival because they have set on the lot for a period of time and the CO2 monitor was left on.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #3
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
If you have the time, I would camp local to Lakewood for a day or two so you can test out the systems. Then head north when you know everything is working.

Turkey Swamp Park maybe?
Old 03-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

Maybe consider leaving the trailer winterized until you get home, and using it as an aluminum tent, or staying in motels. The risk of having a few overnight deep frosts is not worth it IMO, unless you are prepared and knowledgeable enough to winterize quickly on the road.

One frozen and burst pipe inside a wall will spoil this experience completely!

One month later, and the answer above would be different.

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- Yes, a conservative approach . . . You might ask Patrick Botticelli, or your sales rep at Colonial, what they think, given your experience and familiarity with AS systems.

PS2 -- Actually I think I would consider going directly from home in Kansas to Maine for the school week, and then going to Colonial to pick up the trailer and head west. By early April you may be able to camp on the way home.

The trip to Maine it seems to me is cramming too much into the time frame, especially if you have never dealt with NYC and Boston traffic!

Your dream Airstream trip can wait an extra two weeks . . . ?

. . . as you won't be in Kansas any more!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Congratulations on your new baby.

I would stay winterized if you are going to Maine....bring bottled water and use public facilities.

Also, microfleece and warm foot things, as you will likely need them.

Maggie
Old 03-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I agree with Lyla&me (above). Keep your new AS winterized. We live in northern VT and have had below zero temps at night several times this week. Highs this weekend (Mar. 11) will only be in the teens. Also check the weather regularly to avoid being caught in snow storms. Also, ask the people at Colonial for their opinions. They are very savvy and care about their customers.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:48 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
I vote for picking up your Airstream on the way back home from your trip, or leaving it winterized if you take it to Maine, understanding that you won't be able to use any water-related things inside the trailer (including the bathroom).

I grew up in the Beacon area, and still go back several times a year to visit family. They can get freezing weather and even snow right into April or even on occasion early May. The weather there in the spring is all over the place and very unpredictable.

And of course the farther north you go, the colder it's likely to get.

We're planning a late March trip to the Beacon area, and as much as I really really want to take our Airstream (I can park it in brother's driveway), we just de-winterized it (yay, Georgia) and don't want to chance freezing something. Not worth the risk.
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:29 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Burlington , Vermont
I can attest to everything "VT Wanderer" wrote. I don't know much about Maine but I'm a native Vermonter and it's not unheard of for it to start acting like winter here in March and April as a Nor'Easter comes through. You don't want to be learning your new trailer on a Powder Day. It could end up ruining your summer.
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
free overnight parking --LL Bean

LL Bean in Freeport, ME has free overnight parking in the RV parking lot. No services though.

There is a year-round campground, Totoket Valley RV Park, with full hook-ups in North Branford, CT.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #10
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
From Colonial go to cracker Barrel in Newburgh NY, or on 84 East you can stay overnight At the welcome center. There is a second one further up by Waterbury, ct with rv secion. Ohio state rt 80 has great rest areas, youngstown has special over night section with hook ups. Just go you will be fine, get your exosrience ofusing the trailer. I can give u my number if u have questions. Enjoy and have fun.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I see you are getting the same model we have.

A tip for colder nights is to make sure that the door to the storage area under the bed is open (or just quickly remove it --it's on snap-release hinges). This helps you sleep warmer.

I hope you love your 22 Sport as much as we like ours.

When your back in the midwest, here are a few of our favorite places to camp. We really like Melvern Lake outlet off 1-35. Very nice corps of engineers park. Also Council Grove has a nice COE park. From either you are quick 40 minute drive to day hike at the Tallgrass Wildlife Preserve in Strong City.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:47 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Milford , New Hampshire
Welcome to the forum. In southern NH we still have some snow on the ground, but there are days in the 50's and then back to the 30's. We have had rare snow in April!

I would run dry until you get to Maine if possible and then let the weather dictate when to fill your water. Bring blankets!!! Don't run your heat overnite on battery.

The CT welcome center on I-84 in Danbury has overnite parking for RVs and a dump station. Most campgrounds are closed at this time of the year in New England.

We have made the trip from NH to Topeka several times to visit family and use I-84 to I-80 then down to Columbus and pickup I-70. PA is all hills.

Treat the trip as an adventure and all will be fine.
NHdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #13
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I'm in Western MA and we have a foot of snow in the forecast for March 14/15.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Wondering if the bitter cold in the NE, and the Nor'easter snow storm predicted for next week, have led you to change your plans to pick up the AS at Colonial on 3/20?

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron-Laura View Post
We are picking up our new AS in Lakewood, NJ on March 20 and then heading up to Portland, Maine to work with students at the Portland Friends School. I am looking for advise and wisdom for our first adventure. I am thinking it is pretty crazy to be camping in Maine in March! for 3-4 days. Just call ME crazy.

Finding a place near Beacon NY (or in that area) to stay on Monday night the 20th after we pick up the AS, on our way to Portland. I think we will be parking at the school, using 15 AMP 110 outlet for power.

Also we will be heading back to Kansas the following week mostly along I-70 and needing places to camp over night. Many of the RV parks I checked with are not open yet. I have looked at Manchester CT, Youngstown OH, Effingham IL. for stopping points along the route coming home. Around 500 miles each day.

Yea, glad to be apart of the AS family and really excited about all we will learn, experience and share together on the road.

Aaron Fowler
Old 03-13-2017, 03:04 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Wondering if the bitter cold in the NE, and the Nor'easter snow storm predicted for next week, have led you to change your plans to pick up the AS at Colonial on 3/20?

Cheers,

Peter

No. I really don't have much choice since I will be working in Portland Maine the end of that week. All the advise says to just take it slow and it should be fine. (Unless there is 12" of snow on the roads!)
Old 03-30-2017, 06:36 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Wichita , Kansas
Thanks to all for your wisdom and insight. We made it home safely in our maiden voyage from the Portland Maine. More questions to follow I'm sure as we begin to explore the workings of our new AS. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #17
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Foot of snow forecast here in Western MA for tomorrow :-)

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron-Laura View Post
Thanks to all for your wisdom and insight. We made it home safely in our maiden voyage from the Portland Maine. More questions to follow I'm sure as we begin to explore the workings of our new AS. Thanks!
Great! Thanks for the update.

Happy Trails with the new Airstream!

Peter
Old 03-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
Foot of snow forecast here in Western MA for tomorrow :-)

Glad we are home in Kansas!