Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Red face Camping in the Hamptons?

Hi all!
We're gearing up for our maiden 2 month camping trip with our new 28' International. As part of our trip we plan to incorporate the Hamptons, on Long Island, for a week or so, and then ferry car and trailer to Connecticut. I have 2 questions:
1) How is it navigating across Long Island (from Pa) with a 28' trailer? (I have a bit trepidation about this part of the trip)
2) Is anyone familiar with Indian Island County Park?

Love the forum! Thanks.
FranM
FranM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I can't help you with the specific park you mention, and I have never towed a trailer through NYC and its immediate suburbs which is what you will end up doing, but I have lived in and around the New York City for a long time so I am familiar with the traffic situation.

My suggestion for getting through the City (and nearby highly congested suburbs) would be to pick a time when the traffic would be at its lowest. Sunday morning from sunrise to 10 AM would be ideal. Saturday at the same time would be the second best time. The absolute worst time would be weekdays during the rush hour (6 AM to 10 AM and 3 PM to 7 PM.)

Also, check WAZE (a smart phone app) or Google Maps (traffic mode) to try and anticipate the bottlenecks so you can avoid them.

Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy your stay in Long Island!

Old 08-07-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I just re-read your original post and now realize that you are a newbie when it comes to towing. With that fact, I would highly discourage you from towing through the metropolitan NYC area until you have at least several thousand miles of successful towing under your belt. There are plenty of great beaches and places to explore in Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts that you can get to without having to face Metro NYC traffic. Give The City a wide berth.

I've towed our trailer over 12,000 miles in this past year (our inaugural one as well ) and feel very accomplished as a driver, however I would still not tow my Airstream through that part of the country. No way
Old 08-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
I used to live down there. Do the northern route. Route 84 to 684 to 95 and go over Throgs Neck bridge. Follow 295 to the Long Is Expressway aka 495. It's all "highway" and you will avoid the worst part of the city. Expect traffic on the LIE almost any time of the day.
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
take the CT route both ways for a much more enjoyable trip :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:04 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
I guess I should have clarified that we aren't new to towing, but we've always towed small lightweights with an SUV. This will surely be a different experience. I'm not sure what the CT route is but will look into it. We may rethink and try this trip next year.
Your input is much appreciated. Thank you.
Fran
Old 08-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranM View Post
I guess I should have clarified that we aren't new to towing, but we've always towed small lightweights with an SUV. This will surely be a different experience. I'm not sure what the CT route is but will look into it. We may rethink and try this trip next year.
Your input is much appreciated. Thank you.
Fran
If you are an experienced and confident tower, and you still want to go to the Hamptons, I would still encourage you to travel off-hours. The route "around the city" over the Tappan Zee and then Whitestone bridges would be another way to cut your exposure to potentially horrendous traffic, but I would still stick to traveling off hours in any event.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Ocala , Florida
Hi I'm new to this post but not to New York City....I would agree with Richinny for a more enjoyable trip is the I95/Conn route. Then take the Port Jeff ferry back to the north shore and get to the Hamptons via that route. OR... The GW bridge (VERY Expensive toll) to the Cross Island to the LIE (495). If you must go through Manhattan, I would plan to do it on a Sunday morning.....it is surprisingly free of traffic and get to the Mid Town Tunnel out to the LIE. Oh I almost forgot you can take the Gothels to the Verazzano (No Toll this direction) to the Brooklyn Queens Expwy to the LIE. Do NOT take the park way exit off the bridge. Enjoy your trip.
Malmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I suggest you take the southern route: from NJ turnpike (I-95) take 278 to Staten Island, then merge into Belt parkway in Brooklyn, then into 678 to get to Long Island Expressway (495). Depending on where you are at in PA, this may be a longer route (or may be not), but it would be less traffic than the northern route. Don't even attempt going through Manhattan (I'm not sure its even physically possible without being in an accident).

I would say Friday 11:00 pm to Saturday 7:00 am is one window of opportunity to pass around NYC. Saturday 11:00 pm to Sunday 7:00 am is another.

We also plan to go to Hamptons (probably next year). So, please share your experience with the park
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
oh, BTW you cannot take trailers on Parkways in NYC (and most parkways in southern NY). so no cross island, northern state or southern state parkways!.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
I agree with the southern route through Staten Island but one would need to stay on I 278 in Brooklyn to hook up with I 495. The Belt Parkway in Brooklyn is off limits to Trailers.

Go here to see a detailed map of all NY Parkways:
https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/ope...20brochure.pdf

The no Trailers on Parkway rule really limits your routes. I use Garmin BaseCamp to plan routes, as it has an RV mode.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Pittsford , New York
I used to live in East Hampton with my 28' International and frequently went on/off the island. Agree throg's neck bridge to LIE is easiest and there is always some kind of traffic - I try to avoid known rush hours but expect it always to be busy. That said, it's all highway and you'll be sharing the road with plenty of semi's that are as long and as wide as you. I just take my time and drive and have never had any problems. iMHO, a long, steep downhill grade is far more scary than the flat LIE.

Indian Island is a nice campground near to Riverhead shopping, etc but not really 'the hamptons'. It's a good hour drive (under the best traffic conditions) to East Hampton but the campground is clean, safe and you can back up to some beautiful woods. If you don't mind a bit of a drive, it can be a good home hbase for a hamptons trip.

My favorite campground is Hither Hills State Park in Montauk. Huge sites that back right up to the ocean. Pretty amazing place to camp. No hookups at all and can be hard to reserve during the summer but, honestly, best during spring and fall without the crowds.

Cedar Point Park inEast Hampton is very nice but my least favorite of the three I've mentioned. Beautiful location on Peconic Bay - very central to the hamptons but also no hookups and small crowded sites with lots of generators can disrupt the 'camping' experience. again spring and fall are better here when the crowds are thinner,

We've also taken our trailer back & forth on the Orient Point ferry many times. Easy to follow 114 across Shelter Island (including two small ferry rides) to rt 25E then Orient Point. Staff on the Shelter Island and Orient Point ferries have always been nice and helpful - just follow their directions, drive slowly on/off the ferries and you'll be fine and pro before you know it.

The hamptons are a great. Place to visit and camp - don't let the ride out scare you.

PS: few easy on/off services along the LIE when towing so I always plan my drive from the city along the LiE as a nonstop shot. At exit 70 on the LIe there is a McDonald's and supermarket with a big parking lot where you can stop but it's best to go nonstop through NYC and the western part of Long Island.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TG2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Just…..NO

I went to college on Long Island. Took the trip from Jersey many a time. There are about five ways to get there. All are hairy. The Southern route will take you on the scary narrow Goethals Bridge and The Veranzano Bridge. ( big time tolls ) Then The Belt Parkway past JFK Airport. It's by the water and has a drainage system that laughs at potholes. I don't actually know what roads they let trailers on. Then find out how much the ferry is for a trailer.

The driving is aggressive. Not for beginners
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:43 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
My first ever towing a large trailer experience was last June when we picked up our '14 27FB Classic at Colonial on a Friday afternoon in late June and then took it up the Garden State (under construction) to Outerbridge Crossing (sp) exit, 287 North to Suffern, and then the NYS Thruway north to the Adirondacks with the rest of metro NYC/NJ. I am from northern NYS, and know that metro drivers can smell fear. So, my plan was simple: Since I have Mississippi tags on my truck, I just cranked "Dixie" up loud and clear on the CD player and swerved from lane to lane. They smell fear, but they respect crazy! Seriously - not that bad. If I can do it, you can. From Washington, you can either take I-80 across the GW Bridge and the "northern" route, as described; or drop down the Delaware Valley to I-78, to 287, through Staten Island, Verrazano Narrows Bridge to Brooklyn and the "southern" route, as described. You got Jersey plates - swerve!! ;-)
Old 08-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hudson , Florida
My wife and I just returned from a trip to Long Island we took route 80 across George Washington Bridge upper level to Throgs Neck bridge straight down to the Long Island Expressway 495 East as for Indian Island County Park it's great place to be very rustic electric and water no sewer hookup they do have a dump station our preference was to drive out to cliff and Ed's campground in Cutchogue on the North Fork full hookup and meticulously kept we had intended to stay a week we spent 4 weeks there close to restaurants the Long Island Sound and the Atlantic Ocean Plus many ways for a short drive to the Hamptons their number is 631 298 4091 I am new to electronic conversation if you would like you can call me on my cell at 516 672 3183
funcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Thanks everyone for your help on this. I'll keep you posted if we go for it. we may be calling you, Funcharlie!
Old 08-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hudson , Florida
camping in the hamptons

Love to hear from you.
funcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote