Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2004, 09:22 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Camping in Silver Falls, Oregon

We just got back from an overnight trip to Silver Falls State Park, near Salem, Oregon. It was beautiful, there is a 5 to 8 mile hiking trail there that travels around a canyon filled with ten waterfalls (we took the five mile route). Really big waterfalls. It's quite a sight.

The trip was fairly eventful. We were rained on during our hike, had the ranger wake us up from a post-hike nap to tell us we owed him four dollars more because the signs hadn't been updated to the new camp-fee amounts (it was only $20, I should have known $16 was too good to be true).

Then we forgot to open the valve on the blue tank so it filled with air and wouldn't let in any water, forcing the water to back up into the shower and all over my new yellow bathroom mat! Once we got that mess cleaned up (and threw away the mat because there was no good place to clean it up at and it stunk bad), we went for a nature walk on a little trail that meandered along a stream behind the campground.

We thought it was just going to loop around come back to the other side of the campground, but it just kept going, losing the stream and taking us though some meadows. But it was a nice gravel path, so we figured it must go somewhere. The sun was going down, and then it started raining again - no, pouring! Suddenly we were soaked though. I was wishing I'd brought my umbrella, and we'd given up hope of the trail coming out in the campground, when suddenly it ended at..a duckblind. Well, that was a long walk just to get to a duckblind. A sign along the way would have been nice. We trudged back, completely soaked, and dumped our wet clothes in the tub.

Then we settled down to play cards. Slowly the lights got dimmer and dimmer until we were squinting at the cards and thinking our eyes were going bad. Hmmm, maybe we should plug in. So Dave went out with a flashlight and plugged the trailer in and the lights brightened up about tenfold! I had forgotten that the trailer hadn't been plugged in to recharge for a couple weeks at home, so it didn't have enough battery left to go far. Normally I wouldn't plug in for a short trip like this.

Otherwise the new water heater worked great, and Ol' Fireball (the Hydroflame heater) fired right up and kept us warm as always. My repairs to the sink seemed to have eliminated all the dripping leaks at the faucet, and the toilet, which never held water in the bowl for some reason, does now. I won't question why. The campground was nice and wooded, and the waterfall hike was pretty cool. I think we'll go back again when we have more time to explore. There was lots to do there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_2400.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	6425   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_2393.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	6426  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:32 PM   #2
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
That is where we are going this weekend.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:29 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Oregon City , Oregon
WE have organized an AS overnighter @ Memaloose State Park (West of Dalles) for Saturday night May 15th. If you would like to join us check with park to see if any spaces left.
Darrell 503-872-1551
Roswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Red face

Stephanie

Isn't it grand?
Janet and I just did a week on the coast of Oregon.
The only bad thing that happened was when we got home, I wanted to repack the trailer and go again.
Damn, I hate the reality of the working life, trying to find enough time is a bear.
Glad to hear your adventures ended well.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:51 AM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Seems like there's lots of stuff going on on May 15th weekend, but we already have plans for another rally then.

Van, enjoy the trip, there's bike trails, and even horse rentals there as well as all the hiking trails. Neat place. I was takling to our unit president about having a small rally there next year.

Gary, I never want to come home from the beach either. Which beaches did you stay at?

Old 05-06-2004, 11:42 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
::Looks at pictures and oooohs and ahhhhs.:: What a lovely place to camp.

We're leaving tomorrow for the South Fork of Bishop Creek, today is going to be a loooonnnngg day.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Talking Yes Yes Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Gary, I never want to come home from the beach either. Which beaches did you stay at?
Our trip started from the Tri-Cities headed South, we ran down the middle of Oregon on Highway 97 towards Klamath Falls, we stayed at a place called Williams River camp grounds 10 sites on 25 acres 30 mile North of K. Falls. We then headed down into N. California and stayed at two really nice camps Jedediah Smith and Elk Prairie state parks. Big Redwood trees beautiful scenery, I can recommend both. We then headed North into Oregon and stayed at a beach about 2 miles North of Bandon. I just can't remember the name, but I want to go back it's great. Headed up to Beverly Beach at Newport and spent 2 days there.
We got to meet Campcollector and show off our handy work on the
'Acoustic Argosy'. We heard his tales of the trials and tribulations of the
'Smashed Bambi', and how it is almost ready for the road again.
I want to go back and do it all over.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:18 PM   #8
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Just returned home from our trip out to Silver Falls and i consider it a shake down trip for the beginning for the season.

Started out with issues before we even hit the road. Recently had my transmission rebuilt and the tech who did it had to remove my brake controller to get at the plug in for his diagnostic machine. Well, he somehow damaged the controller. Some duct tape was required to effect temporary repairs.

After working like a dog to get the grey water valve reapaired in time for the trip, the black tank valve seems to need repairs as well. We arrived at our camp site to find blue-ish water backed up into the shower basin. I got the overflow tank handy and pulled the drain line cap. Out came the water(2-3 gallons or so) and chemicals that i had put into the black tank prior to our departure.

sigh

At least the restroom facilities were close.

Upon inspection, back at the shop, the black tank valve continually drips and a small trickle of water runs out the drain line when the black tank is full. Thankfully the black valve is easy to get at.

Also discovered a new leak. When the water lines are pressurized, water sprays out of the back of the toilet, where fresh water is supposed to go in to flush the bowl.

Evening approached and the liquid Oregon sunshine commenced to downpour well into the next morning. Camp site became a mud pit. About noon it cleared off and was generally nice the rest of the weekend.

Silver Falls is a nice campground, if rather small. The falls themselves are very pretty.

Over all, the worst weekend camping beats the best day working.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:37 AM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Over all, the worst weekend camping beats the best day working.
Here, here! I'm with you on that one. Sorry to hear about all the valve problems - yuk! We have a very tight fitting plug in the shower else we get brown water in there after towing, but then we don't have a grey tank. However, when the blue tank wasn't vented and it backed up into the shower, it was able to pop the plug out. Either way, what a mess! Sounds like a good shake down though - fix those few problems and maybe you can look forward to a relaxing summer