Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Camping in cold weather

We are on vacation in Southern Utah. On Thurs night, it is supposed to be in the upper teens. What do we need to do to prevent things from freezing. I realize that the tanks are heated, but what about low point drains and the black and grey tank drains? We don't camp when it's this cold in Texas.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
If you are running your furnace, you should be okay. Make sure you do not have a hose hooked up to a water source.

I spent two days in Moab one March when the temp dipped into the teens. It warmed up during the day. I did not have any problems.

Stay warm!
Old 04-26-2017, 12:12 AM   #3
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Agreed, just keep your furnace running at night, and unhook your water and sewer to avoid frost in the couplings. The furnace will shoot hot air under the floor. Your pipes should be fine so long as it is well above freezing during the day, but you can always leave your cabinet doors open and run a little water a few times during the night. I doubt that your waster water tanks would freeze, but if that concerns you, put a little RV antifreeze or even windshield washer fluid down them. If it's really cold when you must leave, you can drive with the furnace on, but otherwise just wait for it to warm up a bit outside.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You might get away with it, depending on the configuration of your heat ducts and reliability of the tank heaters. If you want to sleep better that night, it might be prudent to take the conservative route, especially if you have hookups and can access new water the next day.

Personally -- in my opinion -- I would do a basic winterization gravity drain-down of the plumbing system, including opening the low point drains, the water heater drain, fresh water tank drain and so forth. Open all faucets while doing this including outside shower spray wand (and let it dangle down to drain it, or remove the spray head).

Empty the holding tanks late Wednesday afternoon. You can use the toilet overnight and flush with bottled water. A small amount of liquids etc. in the tank will be fine overnight, even if they freeze solid (which is unlikely). As noted earlier, you can always add some RV antifreeze or windshield washer fluid first, so that this goes down to the gate valves at the discharge end.

Is the above route conservative and labor intensive? Yes, but it minimizes the risk of frozen and cracked pipes in hidden areas, which can be very expensive to fix.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- Our conservatism is born from necessity in our FC20 which does not have ducted heat, plus our rear plumbing is vulnerable to low temps in the rear storage area at the bumper. Better safe than sorry IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:03 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
South ogden , Utah
We've had our 26U in the teens a few times at night now. Didn't have any problems. If your boondocking make sure your batteries are fully charged to run your furnace. If your have hookups un hook your city water before you go to bed.

Enjoy your trip.

Derrick
Muddybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I see people suggest disconnecting any water hose - but at times I have seen a recommendation not to disconnect, and instead, to leave a slight trickle of water running (both hot and cold I assume.)

I have done that on the odd time that we have been caught in below freezing nights. also have left cupboard doors open inside the trailer to improve circulation of warmer air to the piping.

I gather also that the pex pipe is quite a bit less likely to suffer freezing damage than copper as well.

I think you should be fine.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
I concur with all the above and would only add one small step I took while snowed under in Wyoming. Not wanting to travel on the snow covered roads we camped for 4 days in
-20.. I wrapped heat tape ( 4' long) around the gray water and black water valves/outlet and plugged it into the service pole. This kept them from freezing and allowing dumping when the time came.

This small step was learned the hard way when camping in Norther BC at - 20!
Old 04-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Instead of heat taping the valves, I use a drop light with a 100 watt bulb and tie it under the valves. You can ruin your plastic valves with crossed heat tape. For one or two nights, I recommend disconnecting from city water and once it warms up during the day, hook it back up. Antifreeze in both tanks but only after you dump first.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
We have camped twice in single digit temperatures with no problems. Should have disconnected the water hose but no damage.

The second time it was blowing pretty good. We rely on our electic blanket and do not run the furnace at night due to the noise. May also use a catalytic or electric space heater.

But no problem either time.

Dwight
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #10
Lovin' the Mountains

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Camping in cold weather

My Flying Cloud is currently parked behind my house, temperatures have been below freezing every night for the past two weeks, last night it was 22°. The furnace is on with the thermostat set for 42°. Water in all the pipes and the hot water heater. No trouble with pipes freezing.
tomsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16595 View Post
. . .
. . . We . . . do not run the furnace at night . . .
This is a recipe for frozen pipes IMO, at least in the Airstreams (like the OP?) which rely on the hidden heat ducts to warm up the pipes and holding tanks in remote spaces and the belly.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
We were in the Smokies a month ago and it got down to 14 degrees. I didn't hook up the water hose and didn't use the furnace. Just used 2 space heaters and all was well.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #13
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgibbs View Post
We are on vacation in Southern Utah. On Thurs night, it is supposed to be in the upper teens.
I have been below zero and with the furnace running, no problems thanks to the ducted heat into the tank areas. I would disconnect water hose, and disconnect outside shower hose since that is practically outside.

My question...where are you in southern Utah that it is going to be down in the teens? I live up in Park City and and hoping to escape today to Southern Utah to escape the 20s we will have at night this week. Planning on dewinterizing to rinse out the lines well since it's high 40s today, then hit the road and be down in Moab tonight which is showing high 30s. You have me curious as to where to avoid! Are you high elevation like up in Bryce or somewhere like that?
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
We have camped in low teen temperatures with no problem. Kept the furnace at 55, cracked cabinet doors, water heated turned on, and as noted, if connected to city water disconnect.
lkm4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:43 PM   #15
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
WINTER CAMPING BELOW FREEZING:

Propane: Full

Heat: Set furnace temp at minimum of 40 degrees.

Electric: Ample AC (need about 40 amp hrs /nite without using refer or hot water on AC).

Water: Fill fresh water each day (keep hose drained so it is not frozen and will flow water). Or, leave hose connected and drip the furtherest faucet.

Sewer: Disconnect, unless you drip the furtherest faucet during freezing weather.

Lithium batteries: Do not charge below freezing.

Departure: If leaving in freezing temps drain hoses and place with power cord in a warm place. Otherwise, they will be too stiff to handle.

In an emergency: If full winterization in not possible do the following to eliminate or minimize damage. Open all faucets and drains, including filters and ice makers. Squeeze and clamp the sink and toilet spray handles open and lower them to the floor. Open shower valves and raise the heads to drain the hoses. Disconnect water pump inlet and outlet and run pump a few second to pump out water and drain the inlet filter. Catch residue from above with a towel.

If compressed air is available connect to all water inlets including the black water flush and blow out lines. If there is no trapped water, nothing can be damaged because it has room to freeze and expand.

Now, you have actually winterized the trailer.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
We spent a good chunk of time this winter below freezing at nights, unusually cold winter for Vancouver BC. The primary precaution is to have power & propane, and drip your faucets. Also make sure you're not leaking outside at any connections, otherwise you could end up with an unwanted ice sculpture hanging off the hoses (saw enough of that this winter, fortunately not me). We also have a heated water hose, but it's not necessary as long as you drip. We kept everything connected.
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:32 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
We are currently in Moab and temps have been in upper 30's or low 40's, but we are headed to Bryce tomorrow and they are forecasting low 20's to upper teens for next 2 nights. You'll be fine in Moab. Hope you have reservations because it will be a busy weekend.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:14 PM   #18
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
I have been below zero and with the furnace running, no problems thanks to the ducted heat into the tank areas. I would disconnect water hose, and disconnect outside shower hose since that is practically outside.

My question...where are you in southern Utah that it is going to be down in the teens? I live up in Park City and and hoping to escape today to Southern Utah to escape the 20s we will have at night this week. Planning on dewinterizing to rinse out the lines well since it's high 40s today, then hit the road and be down in Moab tonight which is showing high 30s. You have me curious as to where to avoid! Are you high elevation like up in Bryce or somewhere like that?
Bryce Canyon NP would be one cold place in southern Utah this time of year, at around 8000 feet. The Grand Canyon (Arizona) is also up pretty high, at around 7000 feet.

We've done a fair bit of winter-like shoulder-season camping, and if we thought there would be a huge problem, we would winterize. Some folks travel with an air compressor for that purpose, so they can winterize on the road, if need be. Generally any RV service center on the road can also handle this.

But since we had two different staff members at two AS dealerships saying we should be fine if daytime temps are above freezing, we just try to run the furnace and have not frozen anything yet. I don't know what the outdoor temp was one March at the Mojave Preserve, but once we left a dishpan with some water in it out on the picnic table, and in the morning it had 1/4 inch of ice on it, but no problems with the Bambino.

We agree with the advice to keep your propane full before heading out to cold weather, as the furnace can use a lot of propane. Also consider your fan will use a fair bit of battery power if you're boondocking.

Moab overnight should be fine. Crowded, but fine.

If Bryce seems a little dodgy just now, Escalante, UT is a lot lower and not so far away-- we've stayed at the Shooting Star Airstream RV park there a couple of times. There may also be something in Tropic, UT, just below Bryce Canyon.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
If Bryce seems a little dodgy just now, Escalante, UT is a lot lower and not so far away-- we've stayed at the Shooting Star Airstream RV park there a couple of times. There may also be something in Tropic, UT, just below Bryce Canyon.
And Kodachrome Basin State Park is a great stay. It's only about 30 minutes from Bryce Canyon NP, and quite a bit lower in elevation, so, warmer.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
It was 21 here in Bryce last night and we did just fine. Full fresh water tank and virtually empty black and grey tanks. Started the furnace and water heater as soon as we got here. Left the Fantastic Fan on and the bathroom fan open but not on.

Won't do that again because when I got up in the middle of the night, it was 46 in the bedroom.

High today was 35 and it started snowing lightly about 10. We were going to ride the shuttle into the park. Got to visitor center and it started snowing harder. The shuttle driver said it was total whiteout in the park. We will try again tomorrow.

Ruby's RV Park is quite an operation. Largest rv sites we've seen and a large grassy area at each site for the puppies. Highly recommend.