Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2017, 07:13 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandgrace View Post
. . . the gloom and doom amateur weather forecasters know nothing. there may be a few bumps in the road, and minor inconveniences . . .
. . .

Make up a big flag or sign with this assertion, and try flying it south of Miami all the way to Key West.

All cautions to avoid risk for the rest of the state, north of Miami, were entirely appropriate given the forecasts.

Being lucky does not equate to foresight, when the roll of the dice turns out to have gone one's way.

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day!

Have a good weekend.

Peter

PS -- Your point about resuming normal camping activities in certain areas is spot on.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Disney is open. You all know about the "dome over disney" theory, right??? As far as Disney lodging goes, Ft. Wilderness is probably a mess, but they'll have it up and running in 2 weeks (if that long). The phone line to Disney says to NOT call before Sept. 18. We also have Oct. reservations.

We have lots of friends in and around Orlando- power was restored before ours in Jacksonville. Speaking for the NE Florida coast, there are still some power outages- relatively small, considering, gas is back to normal, still a few in shelters, public schools open Monday. Recovery underway.

Central FL relies on tourist dollars. IMO keep your reservation until you get an email from Disney.
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I'm in Punta Gorda, and aside from landscaping cleanup, life is fairly normal. Even the Saturday street market is on. I drove down from CO to attend to our sailboat, which as it luckily turned out, suffered no damage. I towed our Airstream, camped in state parks and rest stops and now at our marina for a few days. Local RV resorts have empty sites. Of course the Keys are a different situation. I would consult your particular resort for their advice.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDEL View Post
I live in central florida near inverness,fl about 1.5 hr above Orlando. Duke Power just informed us that the tampa counties wont have power before sunday evening.
Duke Power is not in Tampa. TECO is, and they were fantastic. I lost power for one day. By the time I got home Wednesday night I had power, AC, and my fridge didn't spoil.
The power outages are scattered and sporadic.
I'd call your campground. They don't need tourists gawking, but they do need income too.
The two areas that got hit hard were the keys and lower SW Florida and the Jacksonville area.
As I returned to Tampa, I saw no commercial damage other than canvas billboards shredded. Otherwise it looked like a normal day. In the residential areas there's lots of tree branches piled up for the city to collect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMP54 View Post
Disney is open. You all know about the "dome over disney" theory, right??? As far as Disney lodging goes, Ft. Wilderness is probably a mess, but they'll have it up and running in 2 weeks (if that long).
I've seen Disney work miracles. I used to do some work there, and overnight those folks are like bees in a hive. They have an army of gardeners, and they don't like seeing a dead branch for long.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am from FL so I am not really a tourist but I don't live there anymore. North Alabama is nice in the fall but the hunters do their best to ruin it.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
I just got refunds on my reservations for Curry Hammock in November and December. Not too surprising but it confirms they do not expect it to be opened anytime soon. I have a reservation at Pennacamp in Key Largo for mid-November (it was to be weekend stop on way to Curry Hammock) and no refund yet. At least I got the full refund without the usual Reserve America fees. I'm not sure whether I'll still take trip down in November but figure that I can make that call as it gets closer.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:13 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Are the pancake houses back open? That has become the new standard for judging recovery.
Residents are being allowed back in Key West this morning. Looters and tourist are going to have to wait a while longer.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Come on down

We are in Orlando. Things are running well. Many people's incomes here are week to week and tourism related.

Everyone we meet seems glad we are here spending money! So come on down.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:32 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Are the pancake houses back open?
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote