Old 05-12-2004, 10:47 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver
Smile Camping in BC & Washington

Hi,
Just bought out 1977 Safari a month or so ago and am now looking for some great camping spots for RVs. I have already learned that no BC Provincial Parks have services. Any suggestions for nice lakeside or oceanside parks? BC Okanagan or Washington West Coast would be good. We have 2 little dogs who will be coming along as well! Thanks for any tips!

Old 05-12-2004, 02:16 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The only place we've stayed along the coast was Fort Canby SP near the Oregon border. Very beautiful, sites right on the beach practically, and two lighthouses to visit. Dogs welcome

So are you in BC, or in WA? You've got lots of options - just remember that dogs aren't welcome on the trails in US national parks like the Olympics, but I believe they are still welcome in the campgrounds.

Enjoy your new toy!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 02:52 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver
Smile First Timers

Thanks Stephanie for the reply. Fort Canby sounds nice--I'll see what I can find out on the net. We're in BC but only about 10 minutes from the WA border. I'd also be interested in hearing about lake camping in WA and the Oregon coast as well. We're going to take a short trip first to see how everything works (hopefully it works)--probably to Deception Pass on Whidbey Island WA. It's a beautiful spot with rugged coastline, sand dunes, sand beach and a swimming lake. The campsites are fairly private and in the forest above the beach area, but we've only tented there before--we'll see how it goes with the AS.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:46 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
I'm sure you'll have a great time once you figure out how it all works, at least that's been our biggest stumbing block. In fact I've had the trailer just over a year and last night I used the oven for the first time! I thought I'd try it out in the driveway instead of buring down a state park - turns out it wasn't as hard as I was expecting.

There's so much beautiful camping here in the NW, you can't hardly go wrong. Right after we got the trailer we bought a Woodalls Campground Directory, and went on a wandering trip around the state. When we got tired we found the nearest campground and tried it out. They were all great, some were better than others for various reasons. One had no hookups, but we were litterally right on the banks of the Naches River in central WA - beautiful!

BTW, I love BC! We honeymooned up there, and used to go every year, just haven't had a chance lately.

Old 05-12-2004, 04:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
RamblinRose,

Ft Canby is nice (they changed the name though). I've been also to Graylands Beach State Park which is even nicer, IMHO. Large grassy sites on the dunes with lots of vegetation and trees. Belfair State Park is on the Hood Canal and is also very beautiful especially if you get a waterfront site. And near enough by ferry to visit Seattle.

And ANY state park on the coast of Oregon is simply awesome. Many of the Oregon state parks have hookups. My favorite is Beverly Beach State Park. Bullards Beach is also nice. And there is lots to do at Fort Stevens.

By the way, I know Alberta is a long ways but I found this nice website listing all the rv campgrounds there. Here it is:
http://www.camping.ab.ca/

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 04:25 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
What did they change the name to? We were just there less than a year ago!

Old 05-12-2004, 06:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
It's now called Cape Disappointment. I think they have remodeled a lot of the park so they changed the name to reflect that. And also to celebrate Lewis and Clark's anniversary. I like the new name. Been going to Fort Canby since I was a kid with my dad. I have a lotta love for this park. Such great memories.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:17 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
When I read your first post my first thought was Deception pass.some of my friends have camped there and sasy it is very nice. I enjoy driving down to Whidbey island , walking on the ferry to Port townsend and spending the day there.
I enquired at work and it is true that most of the BC Provincial parks do not have hook ups but they have water,toilets and a place to dump your tanks.
Glad to see another BCer on the forum.I'm currently rebuilding my Airstream to use on a farm I just bought on Gabriola Island.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:35 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

As I recall, camping at Deception Pass is by reservation, year-round.

I did stay across the road at N. Whidbey RV Park in March this year. Aesthetically, Decpt Pass is nicer, but hookups were nice at that time too.

If hookups aren't a requirement, there are a huge selection of National Forest campgrounds in both WA and OR.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:36 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
WA State Parks

Try this website for WA State Park.
http://www.parks.wa.gov/
You can make reservation on line to some of the parks.
Phil
Old 05-12-2004, 10:09 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
That's a pretty cool site because for a lot of them you can see a campground map and even pick out exactly which spot you want.

Old 05-12-2004, 10:26 PM   #12
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
And here is the site for Oregon state parks...

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/searchpark.php

I can attest to the beauty of most of the Oregon costal parks. Beverly Beach is one of, if not the, top parks in Oregon. Fort Stevens is always a popular choice as well.

The state parks on the Oregon coast are plentiful and most are well worth the stay.

Enjoy.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 10:29 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I can't wait to get out on the road !

I'm sure I'll be posting often for all kinds of help. Nice to know there's such a great community willing to share their experiences and advice!

Thanks!
Kate
Old 05-13-2004, 07:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
My wife and I spend the better part of out summers in the NW - mostly because I'm a fisherman, but also to get away from the oppressive heat and humidity here in SE PA.

Two years ago while we were at a favorite private campgroung in western MT, a guy who was a fulltimer told us about a campground just north of Campbell River, BC on Vancouver Island. He claimed it was the best place he'd ever stayed.

Last summer my wife and I went there for a short stay of several days and ended up staying 3 weeks - we'd have stayed longer except they didn't have any more sites availabe.

The campgound (actually it is an RV park) is called Ripple Rock.
If anybody knows of a better place on earth, I'd like to hear about it!

The only negative thing about it is the distance you have to travel to get there. Then again, that's part ot its allure. First, there's the ferry to Vancouver Island. Being from BC, you already know about that. Then, there's the rather long, scenic drive to Campbell River, followed by about another 20km drive north of that (including 6km of gravel road).

Every site is high above and over looks the water, where cruise ships pass by, eagles soar over head, and if you don't feel like you're in heaven it'll be the next closest thing.

I could go on, but hope you get the picture... (my wife and I LOVED it!)

John