Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
Camping at Myrtle Beach, SC

We are thinking about Ocean Lakes in August. If you have been there any suggestion on the best area to camp?
Hoobiedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:06 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Camping at Myrtle Beach, SC

We like Huntington Beach State Park. There are not a lot but full hookups are available. The bathhouses are clean and functional. WiFi is fair but also available. State Park Rangers that we have met are friendly and love their park. The beach is attractive, as are most in that part of the state, and some good shelling can be had. Right up the road is Brookgreen Gardens.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
North Myrtle is fine too. We have made our annual trip to Myrtle Beach Travel park. More room in your camp site than many at Myrtle. Facility quality is excellent and we like the area up North that is a bit less "zoo-like" Have not tried the State park but will look into it. Now we can do the Myrtle visit in Sept and Oct and that is very good.
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:11 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Reservation Window

Thanks for the great information on North Myrtle, wvstreamer. That broadens our choices when we run for Myrtle Beach. We've driven through the campground in North Myrtle and thought it looked great, too.

A last word. South Carolina announced on Jan. 13, 2015, that the reservation window for State Parks has been changed to thirteen months.

Good luck, Hoobiedoobie.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
This past early Summer we were in Myrtle Beach. We stayed 2 nights at the Apache Campground, N. Myrtle Beach, only because we visited that area years back and always wanted to be ON THE BEACH someday. It was fun for 2 days, on the pricey side. We also stayed at the Huntington State Park, very nice, quiet. spacious and a good choice.

You will like the area. There is a little of quiet and touristy.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Ocean Lakes campground in mid summer , high season, full wide open how do you explain that to the never been there crowd? I had to go just to say yup , been there done that. It's a resort city into itself. Some love it and buy in , some can't wait for a "normal" campground. Ocean is walking distance or bike or golf cart distance depends on your mood I guess.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
I don't know if there are any RV parks on or near Holden Beach, but that's a great place. It's just across the border in NC, just beyond North Myrtle Beach. No high rises, not too much traffic, tranquil. I lived in SC for over 25 years, and a trip to Myrtle was an annual ritual. I didn't discover Holden until just before moving away. When I took the family to Myrtle, I'd return home exhausted....crowds, traffic, etc. totally different experience at Holden....restful. Plus, the beaches aren't packed, and there's actually still lots of beach at high tide. Anyway, that's my two cents worth.
GLovedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
Happy Camper

2018 30' Classic
Flat Rock , North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to nipperguy
Huntington Beach is a great campground if you don't require full-hookup or are lucky enough to get one of the very few sewer sites. It is relatively quiet and great for bird and nature watching. Site privacy varies but there is a good mix of open and wooded sites to choose from. The beach is a short walk along the boardwalk. Depending on time of year, you may have difficulty getting a site.
Ocean Lakes in the summer will be very busy but you can usually find a site. All sites are pull-through, full hookup, including cable and wifi. Most sites are paved but very close together.
We enjoy both campgrounds at different times of the year.
nipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Oshawa , Ontario
Vanessa and I have made an annual trip to Myrtle Beach from Toronto for about five years in our 1976 VW Camper. We are planning to head down again in mid - late April with the 1970 Safari.

We have always stayed at Myrtle Beach State Park. It is nestled in with some of the larger RV parts and all the amenities, but it retains its State Park charm with lots of trees and open space as well as privacy.

The beach is only a few steps away from all the sites and you can walk along the beach all the way to downtown. Dogs are allowed on the beach until May I believe.

We discussed going somewhere else this year, somewhere with a pool for example, but Myrtle Beach State Park is so good of a fit for us I can't see changing. This year we're looking forward to having the AS there so we can leave the site in our TV instead of packing up the VW Bus every single time we want to go out for a meal!

We've visited Huntington Beach SP as a day trip - very nice as well! We've also made day trips down to Charleston (beautiful and well worth it!).
VBSchmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:32 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
Thank you all for the info. We are excited!
Hoobiedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Unless you are absolutely wanting to stay "on the beach", we would recommend Willowtree in Long's S.C. - about 9 miles to N. Myrtle, anf not far to Calabash, NC for some great seafood without the higher beach prices. Willowtree has huge sites, immaculate facilities, and great staff.

Myrtle Beach Campgrounds - WillowTree RV Resort

https://plus.google.com/102741281316...ut?gl=us&hl=en
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:52 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
willowtree sounds interesting

I agree on Calabash. It's one reason we stay at North Myrtle ( Travel Park) but will check the Willowtree. Nice to be on the beach so I can easily do beach for a little while and walk to camp for a break. I would like to be there now! Instead the AS is covered in snow ...the temp is 10 and I'm going to work now. Airforums is how I dream.
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote