Old 07-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
CAMPING at GNP / Many Glacier CG

I see that GNP has a 35' RV limit at Many Glacier CG. Does this limitation mean overall trailer / TV combination length or only the length of the trailer itself. We have a 30' AS and will look elsewhere for a campsite once we get there in August.

I would welcome any suggestions from others that have experienced this place. Our plan is to arrive in the area of the East entrance and stay a night outside of GNP at a private CG in order to enter early the next day in hope of finding a site at the " no reservation" Many Glacier CG.

Thanks All,

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia

I don't know anything about the campgrounds, haven't been there. That is on next years list of trips. Trailer length limitations almost always just apply to the length of the trailer, if not you would be limited to a trailer in the 16 ft range. 35 is pretty generous, many of the CG's in Virginia have a 30 or 31 ft. limit. leaving my 34 footer out in the cold.

RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Blue Highways Explorer
2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
7,650' , Colorado
Usually that refers to the length of a motorhome or trailer. TV's or toads are not included in the length. However, if you can fit your RV in a space without hanging out in the road, it's OK at most Nat. Parks. Glacier has no res. sites on both sides. The pull throughs are tight because of trees and posts so it may be easier to back in on an angle and park your TV behind the trailer.
This is the strangest life I've ever known - J. Morrison

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB with ProPride
2011 Ford F150 Lariat Ecoboost V6 Turbo Gasser
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We didnt camp inside the park but did stay at Johnsons RV and Campground a couple of years ago. You might want to check it out. Coming through Browning stay off of Hwy 89. 464 then 89 south is longer but much easier. Love Glacier Park! Enjoy.
John & Lisa
Woosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Lyle & Margie
2008 28' International CCD
Lakeside , California

We stayed at the Many Glacier CG, the summer before last. No problem with length (28'). The park is very popular and on a first come first serve basis with no reservations taken (I believe). We just showed up and stayed for 5 days.

Lyle & Margie
BAB BMRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
That's pretty much what we're planning. Hope to arrive mid - late day and stay the night outside the park. That is unless we were to get very lucky and find a late day site available. Overnight then early in the day head in to Many Glacier, find a site and stay
4 - 5 days. Then head through the park and maybe stay a day or so on the west side then head south to Yellowstone area. No agenda. Kinda follow our noses and see where it takes us.

Thanks for the input. Planning to be out there the first week in August.
Roger in NJ

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 07-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Our Bambi is one of the little guys, and we usually camp on the west side, but we can vouch for some narrow pull-through sites at GNP! They are rendered a bit more problematic if your neighbours have unhitched their vehicles, positioned them close to the access to your site, and then gone off for the day. But many sites don't have these limitations.

You probably read that you can't take a combined unit of over 21' on Going-to-the-Sun road (Logan pass). Not that we would risk it! Besides your own tow vehicle for exploring, the Park Service and concesssioner have frequent shuttles over this road. Right now construction delays west of the pass are 1/2 hour or less.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Many Glacier has some sites which will work for fairly large rigs, but you never know if they will be available. It seems that the best and largest sites, and the most level are always occupied by a little car and a pup tent...LOL. You just have to go there and hope for the best.

Two Medicine campground is also very nice, just north of East Glacier. It has more large sites, but also has many impossible to level sites, best suited for goats. But, again, with a first come first serve situation, you may get lucky and find a beautiful spot.

Bottom line on all campgrounds in GNP is that they are old and have not been upgraded for larger rigs, but there are spots in most every one which will accommodate you, if you get there when one of them opens up. My 20' rig is small, and I am fussy, but have never been unable to find a spot there. Maybe not the ideal one in my mind but once settled in, most are ok.

All the dump stations were re built in Glacier this spring and are new. Finally! They spent some money on the campgrounds for things other than tent site pads. You might note a bit of twitchyness in that statement, eh?
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Some Pics

Good advice so far. We had a Caravel at the time, but the sites looked workable for larger rigs. Tight, but workable.

Enjoy. Here are our pics: the adventures of tumbleweed
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
I would avoid traveling the "road to the rising sun" (I believe it is called) with your unit. In fact it might be prohibited. We had a great ride up and over the pass but at the time we had a 1986 Buick sedan. FWIW.
rtaylor537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #11

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
We camped with our 25-footer a few years ago and had no issues. Take along plenty of blocks for leveling, just in case. We brought our kayaks and had a wonderful time, both at Many Glacier and Two Medicine.

No trailers on Going-to-the-Sun road. Even if I had a 12-footer, no way. Too many rocks leaning in to get you.

Somebody, please, point me to the road.

AIR 3987
wbcci 9239 (Re-enlisted 2013)
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks all for the warnings. The restrictions on Going-to-the-Sun Rd. are all VERY clear. Will have to make the decision to drive or ride when we get there. I'll lean towards driving but we'll see. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a site when we get there. I would prefer to arrive mid-week but it looks like the plans would get us there on a Friday. So we'll see what happens.

All the advice is great. Thanks for the input.
Roger in NJ

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 07-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
You can drive it (if you can tow your AS across the country, you're a better driver than most of the others on the Sun Road!) It sounds like you have all the prohibitions on towing. Just remove your extended mirrors (they will check as you go through the entrance station) and stay in your lane (all that rock on the "inside" lane looks close, but it will clear a vehicle). The biggest hazard will be those on-coming drivers wanting to take their half out of the middle! And, if you go to Logan Pass from the east side, insure you drive to at least Lake McDonald Lodge on the west side. Yes, you'll drive back up and over again, to get back - but the scenery will be completely different because you're seeing it from 180* different than the first time.

Oh, and plan that over-and-back for one whole day - it will be worth it!
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
WBCCI 8562
1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Hi we had a bad experience at GNP, was late in the season, and I guess employees were anxious t go home.
anyhow made reservations, 31 ft Airstream, arrived there, given a site, got to site and it would have been
difficult to park a popup init, went back to checkin and was told, tough, nothing else open. Parked and went looking for a manager, ran across a cleaning crew, Oh they said, site ?? is open and it is not a reserved site.
So off we went. But found park staff very unfriendly.

Jim in Pima Az, enjoying our 1975 31 ft Airstream Sovereign
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote