Old 07-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #15
Blue Highways Explorer
2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
7,650' , Colorado
One note regarding the Sun Road, besides the traffic and construction waits, it can be hard to find a place to park at popular stops. The tram is a great way to get to favorite spots to hike.

This is the strangest life I've ever known - J. Morrison

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB with ProPride
2011 Ford F150 Lariat Ecoboost V6 Turbo Gasser
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2012 30' Classic
Bigfork , Montana
In the last few years, while gathering materials for my new book on Glacier, I've often parked my 30-foot Classic at the Many Glacier campground. The trick is to get there early, usually about 10, but on the rare occasion I've missed a spot I return to St. Mary and get a spot at Johnson (mentioned by someone else here) or I go to the KOA. Eventually a Many Glacier spot opens up, and if you have to wait a day or so, it's worth it!
I also worked Glacier as a ranger and certainly agree that Many Glacier is one of the park's best spots at which to camp. Trails depart from the campground to Iceberg Lake, and in the other direction, to Grinnell Glacier, and the glacier's disappearance provides proof that global warming is occurring -- whatever the reason might be.
Also check out the relatively new shuttle bus routes and times, for they open up a whole new series of opportunities. Drop me a note if you want, and I'll tell you how we've used them. Good luck! Bert

Bert Gildart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
camping alternatives

Last year when we were there, it was high season and there were no campsites left in Glacier NP. We found a nice little campground outside of the park on the west side called Glacier Campground. Very close to the entrance and a very easy drive into the park. Quiet and safe, and reasonable prices. The sites were wooded and nice.
Our Ford F250 was just shy of the limit and we drove to Logan Pass (and all through the park roadways). Great drive and beautiful scenery. You have to be aware of the traffic and the construction for sure!!
Larry and Lou
CP: Water/30 amp/waste dump/WIFI & Room for 2-3 units; PM us if you are headed our direction!
Air #2695
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We've stayed at this pleasant RV park as well, and it has wooded sites with park-like vegetation screening between them, not to mention hook-ups and wi-fi (at least, in the office)!

The west side of Glacier is much closer for us, so we can recommend that anyone with a high-clearance tow vehicle leave the AS at your campsite, and drive up the western road to Polebridge, to explore Bowman and Kintla lakes. We take lunch and our canoe. Very beautiful and well off the regular tourist routes in the park.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2012 27' FB Classic
Oak Harbor , Washington
Bert is right about Many Glacier and getting there early. We were there last week. Arrived Sunday AM around 11 & found a site for our 28'. HOWEVER, some caveats: if you aren't good at backing up up, it will limit your selection of sites.
FerryTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2012 27' FB Classic
Oak Harbor , Washington
Hmmm, the send button is too close to the typing field. 2nd caveat - be ready to be very close to your neighbor. It baffles me how the Army Corp of engineers can design such nice campgrounds but the National Parks folks want you to pack you in in many places. This is one of those places. Sure glad our neighbor played his mandolin well, I would have not liked to be next to someone just starting out.

Not a caveat but if you have a dog, there is really no place to walk except around the CG or the road in & out of the park.

Having said all that, it is a great base for exploring that part of Glacier - you are so close to the mountains & glaciers that it seems like you can reach out & touch them. The have a great ranger led hike to Iceberg Lake if you don't want to tackle it on your own.
FerryTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
We were in GNP last week and had an awesome time. Got to see a grizzly bear near Many Glacier and saw many mountain goats. The park is majestic in it views from every where you look. See a few attached photos. We looked at the CG at Many Glaciers and asked the camp host about sites and her recommendation was to get there by 8:30 AM on the busy weekends to get a site middle of the week wasn't as bad and like others indicated 10AM is probably fine. We actually stayed in West Glacier at the RV Park less than a mile from the entrance. Full service sites in the woods and not too packed together. Clean and friendly folks. They even had a backwoods restaurant that was run by a kid from the local culinary school. We enjoyed great BBQ ribs and he also does a great breakfast. It was a nice break in the travels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-80133868.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	546.3 KB
ID:	163410

Name:	image-2723881596.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	657.8 KB
ID:	163411

Name:	image-4111511506.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	479.8 KB
ID:	163412

Enjoy your trip. I can't wait to return again.

Bigcgar and Vicki

Allan & Vicki
Larkspur, CO
Be we, fish on!
Bigcgar is offline   Reply With Quote