Old 01-06-2011, 02:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
San Antonio , Texas
campgrounds near San Francisco

Hello everybody. We have been traveling since early January, and We are planning on being in San Francisco this coming weekend, the 7th, for a few days and would like some recommendations on RV parks. The ones I have been finding sound like they are basically just parking lots with very little space. Our tentative plans would be to visit Fisherman's Wharf, China Town, Golden Gate park, and Alcatraz.
The KOA in Petaluma, sounds nice, but it just seems too far to travel to see the sights. We are presently in Smithwoods RV park, which is in Felton, CA. and tomorrow we plan on exploring the Big Basin Redwoods park, spend one more night at Smithwoods, and then head North to San Francisco. After San Francisco we will visit Sonoma & Napa valleys.
My primary concern at the moment is to enjoy San Francisco with out doing too much driving back & forth just to get there. Safety is also a concern.
Your experience and thoughts would be greatly appreciatied.
Thanks,
Barry
210-912-9375

Barry

Old 01-06-2011, 03:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Hello Barry,
Never tried to stay near SF. However looking on line your choices are limited. Pacifica,CA (close to you) has what looks like a parking lot overlooking the ocean. 700 Palmetto Ave. - Pacifica, CA 94044 - 800-822-1250 http://www.sanfranciscorvresort.com/
Candlestick park RV Candlestick RV Park, San Francisco Candlestick is in a ruff area and sound expensive.
or the only real RV park is on the other side of the Golden Gate bridge in marin, CA. Welcome to Marin Park 888-461-5199. Good luck...
Dennis

Old 01-06-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We stayed at Candlestick RV park 3 nights last September. It is a bit pricey, and kind of a parking lot but fully gated, very safe and secure, and really pretty nice/very clean, neat, etc.

The big draw for us at Candlestick is they have a shuttle into town and back, which worked out very well for us who do now tow a vehicle and did not want to drive into and around town. They also hook up with one of the hop on-hop off bus tours, which were very reasonable for a two day pass.

Don't save up your laundry to do there, though, as this is ridiculously expensive.

We liked Candlestick. It was perfect for our needs.

Maggie
Old 01-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We stayed at Candlestick RV park 3 nights last September. It is a bit pricey, and kind of a parking lot but fully gated, very safe and secure, and really pretty nice/very clean, neat, etc.

The big draw for us at Candlestick is they have a shuttle into town and back, which worked out very well for us who do now tow a vehicle and did not want to drive into and around town. They also hook up with one of the hop on-hop off bus tours, which were very reasonable for a two day pass.

Don't save up your laundry to do there, though, as this is ridiculously expensive.

We liked Candlestick. It was perfect for our needs.

Maggie

Agree 100%, we stayed at Candlestick for 3 or 4 nights and it worked out very well using their inexpensive shuttle service downtown every day.

I didn't realize it was in a rough area. I used to go out of the park every morning for a pre-breakfast walk and there was lots of well kept parkland in the immediate area.

Don't expect much in the way of amenities at the RV park however, it is just a big carpark with services. Washrooms were fine though.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
This is good infor for us as well - we are planning to attend an Oct wedding in SF and thought we'd use that for an excuse to head west (finally!).

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Parkof View Post
Hello everybody. We have been traveling since early January, and We are planning on being in San Francisco this coming weekend, the 7th, for a few days and would like some recommendations on RV parks. The ones I have been finding sound like they are basically just parking lots with very little space. Our tentative plans would be to visit Fisherman's Wharf, China Town, Golden Gate park, and Alcatraz.
The KOA in Petaluma, sounds nice, but it just seems too far to travel to see the sights. We are presently in Smithwoods RV park, which is in Felton, CA. and tomorrow we plan on exploring the Big Basin Redwoods park, spend one more night at Smithwoods, and then head North to San Francisco. After San Francisco we will visit Sonoma & Napa valleys.
My primary concern at the moment is to enjoy San Francisco with out doing too much driving back & forth just to get there. Safety is also a concern.
Your experience and thoughts would be greatly appreciatied.
Thanks,
Barry
210-912-9375

Barry
Hi Barry,
I live right up the road from Smithwoods, in Boulder Creek. You are going to like Big Basin. The big trees are amazing to see.
Thought I'd mention, Willie is playing at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz Friday night! Might be worth staying another night, eh?
Candlestick is the place for your SF exploration base. Marin is very nice, but you will be too tired to enjoy it after a day tripping through The City anyway.

Happy trails,
Rich the Viking
Old 01-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We have friends who stayed at the KOA in Petaluma. KOA has shuttle tours which our friends enjoyed. Getting around and parking in San Francisco can be ugly.

Give the KOA a call and see what you think. We stopped by there one time, not to stay, but to check it out and make reservations at another KOA for a later date. The folks there seemed nice and were helpful. The park looked nice as well.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #8

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
This is good infor for us as well - we are planning to attend an Oct wedding in SF and thought we'd use that for an excuse to head west (finally!).

Pat
If you come through KC let me know!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Sure will, Brad. I'd like to meet you guys and see what you've done to the Bambi.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
San Antonio , Texas
Just an update. I decided on the San Francisco RV resort in Pacifica. For a parking lot, it's pretty nice. The folks here are very accomodating. We are on a 60' bluff overlooking the Pacific, and guess what? Yes, an earthquake just 50 miles away. Hopefully the bluff will stay intact.