Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
West Linn , Oregon
Question Campgrounds near Bryce Canyon Utah

Hi,
We are new to Airstreaming and have used our new 19ft International (with F250 superduty diesel tow vehicle) once for a great weekend trip. While we will use it more before next July, at that time we are planning on going from our Home in Oregon to the Bryce Canyon area in Utah. Our plan is to spend around a week in the area and up to a week getting to and from the area. We hope to see Bryce, Zion and the North rim of the Canyon and were thinking we would like to find a central area to situate ourselves and drive out from there. I have been there one other time and remember "Ruby's" as a possible well located contender but don't really know the area at all. Any suggestions for a good place to stay there or any recommendations for the trip up and down would be very welcome along with any route (or other) tips etc! We would prefer full hookups.
Thanks!
P21932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
First, welcome to the forum. We're glad you chose to join us, and I'm sure you will get lots of answers here.

My answer may not be the one you want to hear, but in the long run I think you will thank me. Get yourself a Woodall's Campground guide book. It will tell you all about every campground, both commercial and public in any area in the country, and a lot more. We always travel with one in the truck.

Happy travels, and again, welcome to the forum.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
You're going to have a hoot!

For camping at Bryce Canyon, I recommend- camping at Bryce Canyon. The National Park CG is pretty nice and you are right there.

There are some choices on the north rim of the big ditch. There are some National Forest service campgrounds in the area including Jacob Lake. The National Park service has a campground at the rim. I prefer to boondock at Crazy Jug Point, but that is a long drive down gravel roads which many would rather not do.

I'm not sure how much this helps, my taste in campgrounds tends toward the rustic (actually to the lack of an actual campground); so if you want 47 point hookups my recommendations aren't going to make you happy. Good luck!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I spend a lot of time in Southwest Utah, Since I live in Colorado and travel to see my parents in Mesquite Nevada. In many ways Southwest Utah is a very well kept secret! While in this area of the country I would from Oregon travel to Salt Lake City and then south of Salt Lake (near Spanish Fork) I would jump over to 89 and take it south. If I had a week I would spend two days and nights in Zion National Park. The camp grounds are a 9 out of 10 for NPS camp grounds. The day hikes are what Zion is all about! I would then travel to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and spend three nights. The North rim takes a lot longer to get to then the map shows.... The drive is out of this world! Camping on the North Rim is a 10 out of 10!!! I would hike down to Phantom Ranch at the canyon bottom! The sunrise and sun set from the North Rim is what the location is all about! Also a must is dinner in the Grand Canyon Lodge, the food is OK but the view is one of the best from any Lodge in the entire National Park System! Then I would travel to Bryce and spend only one night. Make sure you do three things while at Bryce. First make sure you wake up before sunrise! Sunrise will take your breath away, second go and see Bryce Canyon Lodge, it is one of the original Parkitecture Lodges, lastly stay up and see the Stars... you are well above 10,000 feet and you are in the third most unpolluted air in the world! I would also stay in the Bryce camp ground, not the best (6 out of 10) but easy walk to the rim to see the morning sunrise! ...

Good Luck and Safe Travels...
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

My husband and I just came back from that area about a month ago. At Bryce we stayed in the park at Sunset Campground and loved it. Dry camping but very peaceful and natural setting. We drove through the North campground - nice, but we didn't like it quite as much - thought Sunset campground was prettier. Dixie National Forest Red Rocks is right by there and I think they have camping although I don't know what that's like.

We stayed right outside of the park at Zion. The campgrounds outside of the park are what I call parking lot camping. No space, no privacy. We wished we had made reservations for the campground in the park so I'd urge you to do that asap if you are interested as they fill up fast.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

I should have mentioned Ruby's. We passed by there - not too far outside of the park. Has a restaurant and shops, motel and campground. Probably full hookups too. I'd consider staying there next time if we were looking for a place with full hook-ups. Although we prefer a natural type campground, I thought Ruby's looked like a nice commercial campground.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Ruby's campground is nice. They have full hook-ups and lots of pull-throughs for larger rigs. Also, they have all the KOA-type amenities, pool, showers, camper store, etc. Also, there is a great general store in the Ruby Inn complex.

While the spaces are not as spread out as in the NP campground, there are not crowded together like the Safeway parking lot on Saturday, like most of the campgrounds in California.

I think the original poster mentioned travelling in July, but for those planning a trip this winter, please note that camping is very limited in the off-season (frozen pipes, and not many visitors, so everything is closed).
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Campground Suggestions

Bryce - if you want full hookups, it's Ruby's.....if you don't mind boondocking, it's the NP (North Campground) just inside the entrance.

Zion - Watchman NP Campground, just outside the entrance (has elect only).

We stayed at all three this past Summer, and if you would like to see pics, here is a link to our month-long trip: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...p-50931-4.html

Best suggestion I can make......get those reservations as soon as possible for the NP campgrounds (six months). These are really popular areas and they go quickly. Ruby's......you can wait until you're closer, unless it's during July 4th.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
Zion Park

We stayed at Rubys this summer. Very nice but if I remember right it was over 250 miles to the North rim and back. Made for a long day.
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

West Linn , Oregon
Thanks
We are new to all of this so the Woodall's is a great suggestion. Sounds like something we would use frequently.
I appreciate the rest of the suggestions and will look into the various National Park Campgrounds. We like the availability of full hook ups but don't really have a problem with less.
I also really appreciate the route suggestions!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Wherever you stay, enjoy!!

And welcome to the Forums!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9374 (Large).JPG
Views:	159
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	91856  
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
... oh, and be mindful of the wildlife...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9343 (Large).JPG
Views:	151
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	91857  
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Great synopsis! What times of year are best?
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
Stayed at Ruby's Inn mid October. Found the people friendly, the RV park more than adequate, restroom facilities very very clean with numerous showers and toilets. Laundry was also clean with numerous machines. Our site was gravel and within easy walking distance of the main Ruby's Inn facility that includes groceries and probably anything else you could need. We did do the famous Cowboy buffet and just made it in before the tour bus arrived! Food was good but not exceptional. The park was outstanding! One of the most beautiful places we've been.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Grand Canyon Trip October 09 140.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	91865  
Chasmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

West Linn , Oregon
Thanks to all of you...
I am now armed with a newly purchased copy of Woodall's and have some reading to do!
Awesome pictures...I can't wait to get back there.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master

My two cents

July is very very hot in the Southwest. Daytime average is 108 drgrees.
If you must go in July, I would plan early morning, and evening outside time, and siesta in the afternoon.

Getting up to watch a sunset is a great idea. But don't forget stargazing.
Find out when the moon is down, turn off all of your lights, give your eyes 30 minutes to adjust.

Campground??? I don't think it matters much. For me, the Southwest isn't a place to hang around the campsite.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote